PDA

View Full Version : Drill Sharpeners - Keep An Eye Out At Garage Sales For These Two Tools!

Linstrum
09-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Keep an eye out and watch for drill sharpening tools like the two in the photos below. It isn't obvious what these tools are and they might be bought for a lot less than what they sell for new because nobody knows what they are or how they work.

Sharpening drills is a chore even a lot of really good machinists have a hard time with and these two machines take all the hassle out of that job, especially the small number series drills from the #41 on down to the little tiny #60 drill. A precision drill sharpening machine can cost as much as a pretty nice large lathe, but for the home machinist these two machines get the job done for just a fraction of that. My True Point sharpener was made during World War 2 and I don't know if anything like it is still made or what one would sell for nowadays. I got mine from a pawn shop back in about 1965, but I bought my Drill Doctor DD750X model new in 2005 through a promotional advertisement on late night TV for $99.95 back then, which was less than any online machine tool supply company I could find at that time. I just looked up the DD750X model like I have online and at Amazon it sells for $139.95 plus shipping. If you have a drawer full of dull drills because you can't sharpen them yourself get the Drill Doctor and stop buying new drills. I have a 1/4" cobalt high speed steel drill that I have been using for about 40 years and it is now about 2.5" long from being sharpened what I figure is about 300 times. Because that drill has been sharpened instead of buying a new one whenever it got dull, that one drill alone has saved more than what a new DD750X Drill Doctor costs. I didn't have the Drill Doctor for most of the life of that one drill, but for someone who can't sharpen a 1/4” drill by hand on a bench grinder it would save enough money from just that one drill alone over a few years to buy a Drill Doctor. Multiply that by the several dozen different sizes of drills most home machinists have and it would pay for itself pretty fast. On top of that, drilling most types of stainless steel requires a very sharp drill or it can't be drilled easily, so if you ever have to drill stainless steel, like for installing a scope base on a stainless steel gun, you will need a freshly sharpened drill before you even begin. For tapping stainless steel, having a sharp drill is of utmost importance to keep from work-hardening the material that the tap has to cut. Even if the hole is successfully drilled with a dull drill, a dull drill work-hardens stainless steel and there is a greater likelihood that even a new sharp tap will break or that it will prevent the tap from cutting the threads.

The True Point sharpening jig is for small drills from #41 to #60 plus all other sizes within that range (fractional, metric, etc), and the Drill Doctor DD750X works for larger drills from about #40 on up to 3/4". Sharpening a tiny #60 drill can be done free hand with an eye loupe and an Arkansas stone, but it might take half an hour of trial and error to get a point that will cut. The True point takes all the guess work out of it. The True Point is a jig that holds the drill at the correct 59° angle to make a 118° point plus guides the Arkansas or fine diamond hone in a curve to make a better relief profile and also indexes the drill exactly 180° to sharpen both cutting edges so that they both cut equally. Having both edges cut equally is very important for very small drills because it helps prevent breaking them by reducing the torque they require to cut plus balancing the torque distribution at the tip so one cutting edge doesn't take all the guff and break off. The drill is sharpened by hand with an Arkansas stone or fine diamond honing plate. The DD750X model Drill Doctor is a power tool that has an electric motor driven high speed diamond grinding wheel that will sharpen drills up to 3/4”. It holds the drill at a range of angles from about 67° to about 55° to make points from 134° to 110° so hard or soft materials can be drilled more efficiently. Hard steels cut better with a 135° drill point and soft steels cut better with a 110° point. The diamond wheels are replaceable and come in fine grit for small drills and coarse grit for large drills. I have been using my Drill Doctor several times a week for three years now and haven't needed to replace the diamond wheels yet. The Drill Doctor will also back-cut the drill edges so they come together at a lot smaller point than normal so hard metal will drill with lighter pressure.

rl635

RayinNH
09-28-2009, 08:48 PM
I run a one man welding shop. A good drill grinder is something I have. Years ago my brother worked for GE. He called me one day and asked if I wanted a drill grinder. GE was getting rid of their circa 1950's Black Diamond drill grinder because it would only grind right hand twist drills. They needed a grinder that would do right and left hand as well as parabolic drills. I paid $50 for it. It included the grinder, cabinet and collets for inch, number, letter drills and a few metric sizes as well, up to half inch in diameter. I wanted to do split point drills so I had to purchase a point splitter attachment. That set me back $700. The motor is so quiet you can't tell it's running. It alone was worth the price I paid...Ray

machinisttx
09-28-2009, 09:28 PM
I don't even bother trying to resharpen drills under about .125". I hand grind my drills if a machine isn't available, and haven't had any problems...but I do gauge them and measure the length of the cutting edge.

Linstrum
09-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Drill sharpening was one of the things I learned as an apprentice machinist, I think I was probably about 14 so I learned pretty early. When my eyes were good I could do drills on down to about 1/16" but I had to use the True Point for anything smaller. A lot of the cutting tools we got for the shop back then were second-hand so they had to be sharpened before they could be used, and I learned to sharpen just about everything, even endmills. It was tedious, but I learned a lot back then and it comes in handy now because I hate the useless Chinee crap that passes for cutting tools. A lot of the endmills, drills, reamers, spot facers, taps, and lathe tool bits I buy now are over 35 years old and left over from the Space Race Era, coming from places like Boeing, McDonald-Douglas, Northrup, and Curtis-Wright.

rl637

Milanodan
09-29-2009, 02:26 PM
I have been using a DD750X for a couple of years, and have some comments. I've found it does better with 118 deg rather than 135. One design problem is with the aligning "spring tabs". Seems that it has problems with the rate of twist of a drill--they are not all the same. Sometimes I have to manually (with small pliers) "advance or retard" the drill in order to get the correct relief. Without the adjustment, sometimes I get no relief at all, and of course the drill won't cut diddley.

Also, being plastic, the whole deal is springy. Yes, it's better than doing small drills by hand, but for anything bigger than 1/4" I do them by hand on my grinder.

Bret4207
09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
I love my Drill Doctor. The springy is a problem, but I find if I push the drill in from the rear against the stop it works better.

dsmjon
09-29-2009, 03:04 PM
I buy $10 sets of 80 drill bits from Northern and/or Harbor Freight. They work well enough and are cheap enough to be disposable. Plus, I could care less when I lean a bit too hard and snap one :)

The Drill Dr. is a slick piece of work though.

870TC
09-29-2009, 03:13 PM
I've not seen a drill doctor that actually worked, other than on TV. A shooting buddy got one for Christmas, and could never get it to do anything but ruin drill bits. He gave it to me. I gave it back, after trying to sharpen a few broken 1/4" bits. Even put a new bit in it to see what would happen, it actually made a new bit dull and worthless.
Glad to hear someone got theres to work.

dsmjon
09-29-2009, 03:51 PM
It took me MANY tries, and several ruined drill bits to my the Drill Dr. work. The buddy from work that I was borrowing it from could make it work like a champ each and every time.

Linstrum
09-29-2009, 04:04 PM
I guess I got a good one, my Drill Doctor DD750X worked right out of the box after I set the depth gauge to cut 0.002". I don't have any trouble with springiness or anything. The only thing close to a problem is getting the two cutting edges exactly even on very small drills, I make sure to count the number rotations so that both cutting edges contact the grinding wheel the same number of times.

I suspect that there is more than one manufacturer, mine was one of the first when they came out.

If the owner will pay the freight I can check out a Drill Doc if it is about to get thrown out, the idea behind its function is very sound.

rl639

RP
09-29-2009, 06:19 PM
i use a bench grinder and eyeball it with two boys in my tool box and shop I dont invest alot the learner curve is to costly. But I dont do machine work just tinkering sometimes i get them off center but a trip back to the grinder will fix it fast enough. But if i run accross one at a yard sell I buy it until then I stick to the poor mans fix. lol

Cactus Farmer
09-29-2009, 06:40 PM
I run a one man welding shop. A good drill grinder is something I have. Years ago my brother worked for GE. He called me one day and asked if I wanted a drill grinder. GE was getting rid of their circa 1950's Black Diamond drill grinder because it would only grind right hand twist drills. They needed a grinder that would do right and left hand as well as parabolic drills. I paid $50 for it. It included the grinder, cabinet and collets for inch, number, letter drills and a few metric sizes as well, up to half inch in diameter. I wanted to do split point drills so I had to purchase a point splitter attachment. That set me back $700. The motor is so quiet you can't tell it's running. It alone was worth the price I paid...Ray

I have three of these fine machines.From a #52 to 3/4" and split points too! I also have a Lysle grinder that will do up to 1 1/4". Bigger than that,I go borrow a BIG Sterling that will do 3" or more. The Black Diamonds will sharpen drills as good or better that new. No excuse for dull drills or over sized holes anymore! I leave one set for 118 drg and one for 135. Life is sweet with good tools!:bigsmyl2:

bob208
09-29-2009, 07:52 PM
i have a darex that will do up to 1" and split point also.

Bret4207
09-29-2009, 08:26 PM
My Drill Dr is a good 10 years old. The only time I have a problem is when the gauge (the springy thing) lets the drill turn too far. I get around that by being careful and using two hands to tighten the chuck. It's not perfect but it'll get me close.

Cactus Farmer
09-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Darex is another good brand........Thanks for reminding me.........I want one of those too!

PatMarlin
09-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Someone told me Dril Doc, sold out and when they did the machine took a nose dive.

I bought one 2 years ago, and have not had good results with it. I can sharpen better on a grinder and most of the time I'm hand lapping with a EZE-lap flat diamond hone.

I tune up lathe bits on the machine with them as well.

I will need to invest in a commercial rig some time. That black diamond sounds nice. A darex would be nice as well.

shotman
09-30-2009, 03:01 AM
For get the springy on the DD set a bit and put a scribe line on the place where the spring is and set bit to that mark It works with all the twists. I found to use a new bit ,a black one and try it in the grinder. Hit very light and look at it. If cut is not the same as the new one then change the bit and try again. When is right ,do the scribe line. I dont worry about anything snaller than 1/8in as I will break them anyway

RayinNH
09-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Bigger than that,I go borrow a BIG Sterling that will do 3" or more.

:shock:. Cactus Farmer, no doubt for your cordless drill...Ray

Linstrum
10-01-2009, 04:20 AM
Shucks, I have a cordless drill that does BIGGER than 3" drills!

Except it is cheating a little, seeings how it doesn't drill holes in steel (unless I run into an old water pipe), but it is DEFINITELY cordless!

It is a power pole and telephone pole auger mounted on my tractor. And it is a real pain to sharpen, too.

rl641

PatMarlin
10-01-2009, 09:50 AM
It is a power pole and telephone pole auger mounted on my tractor. And it is a real pain to sharpen, too.

rl641

Yaw but how many people could drive up and drill a big hole in the side of somone's house? That's if someone would want such a job done ...:mrgreen:

Speaking of drills, cordless drills- I keep using up drill chucks here and there specially with a chucker lathe and straight shank keyless are great.

My favorite one got used up for yet another permenant task- the one I like using for hand tapping on my bridgeport. I slide it in and out of a loose collet for guidence. Anyway after searching high and low for a spare Jacobs I knew had, and could not find, I took apart an old Makita that had worthless dated style batteries, and had me another nice- straight shanked keyless chuck.

rickster
10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
The nice thing about the Drill Dr is that it makes tough ups quick. If you can keep your drills freshly sharpened, it makes drilling and resharpening a whole lot easier.

joatmon
10-01-2009, 11:56 PM
With the shakey hands and blurry vision I would love to have a drill doc but the cost is a little much. Should a got one while still working.
Aaron

Buckshot
10-02-2009, 03:02 AM
Someone told me Dril Doc, sold out and when they did the machine took a nose dive.

I bought one 2 years ago, and have not had good results with it. I can sharpen better on a grinder and most of the time I'm hand lapping with a EZE-lap flat diamond hone.

I tune up lathe bits on the machine with them as well.

I will need to invest in a commercial rig some time. That black diamond sounds nice. A darex would be nice as well.

Darex used to own Drill Doctor. Or they were the ones who invented it or something like that. Anyway they are no longer connected with it. Good tool grinding machines, even for simple things like a drill bit are danged expensive.

.............Buckshot

quasi
10-13-2009, 09:38 PM
I have a 750 D.D., it works pretty well. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!