PDA

View Full Version : 25 ACP rifle/carbine

dk17hmr
09-28-2009, 08:33 AM
I have found the parts needed to build a 25 ACP rifle....what would I want that for you say, why not is my response. I think would be a nice like round for shooting rabbits and I already have a .251 mold and reloading dies. If it doesnt work out the way I am thinking I could have the chamber reamed out to a .251 Hornet and have a rifle that would take coyote with out any problem.

My question is given the powder capacity of the little case, 2gr would be about max, although I could probably bump it up in a rifle, how much barrel would it take to burn off that powder for maximun velocity. I was thinkin 11-12" would be more than enough. But the smith I found to put it together said 16" would be better.

This is going to be a liner in a shot gun barrel so really over all lenght isnt going to be an issue, I will probably have the shotgun barrel cut off at 16-18" and have the liner glued in to place with accuglass or something to make sure it stays in and doesnt come up and make a short barrel shotgun. The extra lenght of barrel would than be machined to look like a flash hider.

Any positive thoughts? I know what some people think about the 25 acp but alll we know of it is out of a handgun with a 2" barrel....nothing yet about a scoped rifle barrel.

lathesmith
09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
I've always thought a 25 acp rifle might be a good idea; very practical for plinking and small varmints and such. Years ago some importer--I think it was EMF-- had listed in their catalog an AR-15 look alike that shot 25 acp ammo; I never actually saw one but always thought it would be an interesting gun.
I believe 22LR velocity peaks in something like 16-18" of barrel, and begins to slow down after that. Of course, this is with lead bullets, with copper-jacketed stuff like the 25 ACP uses it would probably be peak in a shorter barrel. So, I guess optimum barrel length would depend on what you are planning to shoot out of your 25.

Anyway, good luck with your project!
lathesmith

257 Shooter
09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
You also need to check the legal length fpr Rifle barrels. I do not believe you can have a barrel on a rifle shorter that 16" without NFA permit.

StarMetal
09-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Let me tell you of a project that Jumptrap and I were thinking about doing, until he gave it up. Jump was very interested in the 5.7x28 case. He wanted to neck it up to 25 caliber and make a strictly cast shooter for a rifle. He even went as far as locating one of the old Remington actions used for the 5mm cartridge they tried way back. Off the top of my head those models were in the 590's series if I'm correct. I had suggested that necking at 22 Hornet up would be a better idea based on the fact that it's been done and probably easier to find a chamber reamer and dies for. As you can surmise using that Remington action would limit it to low pressure and that's what Jump intended to do with cast.

Joe

scb
09-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Just out of curiosity where did you come up with a .251 barrel?

woody1
09-28-2009, 06:51 PM
I've often thought of something similar as a corta mini, whattheheck do they call 'em, mini Rook rifle. My preference would be either a single shot falling block or a converted Remington 22 in the 580 series. Keep us posted on how you progress. Regards, Woody

Houndog
09-28-2009, 09:39 PM
You also need to check the legal length fpr Rifle barrels. I do not believe you can have a barrel on a rifle shorter that 16" without NFA permit.

A BIG +1 on that! When I had my FFL and was rebarreling rifles at the rate of 3-5 a week I wouldn't cut one shorter than 16 1/2" the "offical" measurement is 16", but I always included a fudge factor. The little fiasco at Ruby Ridge started with a hacksawed off barrell something like 1/4" under the legal limit!

autofix4u
09-28-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't know about a 25acp, but I went to the trouble to build a Mosin Nagant in 32acp. really just to see if I could. The chamber & lead were horrable in the rifle, and I didn't think the barrel profile would allow a rifle cal rechamber. So I went with the 32acp because it fit the rifling. I tried to get it to feed from a modified pistol mag with block fitted in the orignal mag well. But it never worked out. It shot well and killed many a treerat & bunny. But just wanted a little more from it so it now has a 327 mag chamber. It will shoot all the straight wall 32s well. And could probaly still shoot 32acps, but haven't tried it.

StarMetal
09-28-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't know about a 25acp, but I went to the trouble to build a Mosin Nagant in 32acp. really just to see if I could. The chamber & lead were horrable in the rifle, and I didn't think the barrel profile would allow a rifle cal rechamber. So I went with the 32acp because it fit the rifling. I tried to get it to feed from a modified pistol mag with block fitted in the orignal mag well. But it never worked out. It shot well and killed many a treerat & bunny. But just wanted a little more from it so it now has a 327 mag chamber. It will shoot all the straight wall 32s well. And could probaly still shoot 32acps, but haven't tried it.

That's impressive autofix4u. Is it just single or did you work some kind of magazine into it?:drinks:

Joe

dk17hmr
09-28-2009, 11:11 PM
This would be build on a NEF single shot.
For the .251 barrel it would be a liner from:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(oifth1nlgkxii445004ipa45))/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=142&styleID=483
I emailed them and asked how long it could be made, the response was up to 48". That would be glued/welded/ permanently in there, into a bored out 410 shot gun barrel. Than the 410 barrel could be cut down to what ever length over 16.1" I wanted. Drilled and tap for scope mount and be ready to rock and roll. The liner could be any lenght as long as it was attached to the 410 barrel permanently, making it a rifle barrel. If the liner was 10" I would have a 6" peice of barrel that would be smooth but would get drilled and machined into a "flash hider"

I have a 50gr mold from Lyman and would be a good bullet for plinkin, I figured today that I could load them for 3 cents a peice, about the same price it is to shoot a 22LR. I also thought about the Speer Gold Dot 35gr JHP for hunting loads and just regular cheap factory 25 acp ammo with a 50gr FMJ for plinkin and brass.

35gr JHP can hit 1000 out of a 2" barrel, I bet 12-1500 could be reached out of a rifle lenght barrel and 50gr could be pushed to 1000fps or better. Sounds like a heck of a wicked little rabbit gun to me.

StarMetal
09-28-2009, 11:22 PM
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(oifth1nlgkxii445004ipa45))/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=142&styleID=483 (http://www.trackofthewolf.com/%28S%28oifth1nlgkxii445004ipa45%29%29/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=142&styleID=483)
I emailed them and asked how long it could be made, the response was up to 48". That would be glued/welded/ permanently in there, into a bored out 410 shot gun barrel. Than the 410 barrel could be cut down to what ever length over 16.1" I wanted. Drilled and tap for scope mount and be ready to rock and roll. The liner could be any lenght as long as it was attached to the 410 barrel permanently, making it a rifle barrel. If the liner was 10" I would have a 6" peice of barrel that would be smooth but would get drilled and machined into a "flash hider"

I have a 50gr mold from Lyman and would be a good bullet for plinkin, I figured today that I could load them for 3 cents a peice, about the same price it is to shoot a 22LR. I also thought about the Speer Gold Dot 35gr JHP for hunting loads and just regular cheap factory 25 acp ammo with a 50gr FMJ for plinkin and brass.

35gr JHP can hit 1000 out of a 2" barrel, I bet 12-1500 could be reached out of a rifle lenght barrel and 50gr could be pushed to 1000fps or better. Sounds like a heck of a wicked little rabbit gun to me.

Doug,

How does the outer diameter compare to the inner diameter of the 410 barrel? You won't be shooting a high pressure cartridge, but liners are supposed to be backed up by the rest of the barrel wall and the epoxy or solder is only a thin coating. By the way don't worry about epoxy holding because it will for sure. Just make sure you clean both parts first. Sounds like an interesting concept. Also if you don't shorten the 410 barrel below the legal 18 inches it doesn't matter what length that liner is as far as I'm aware.

Joe

shotman
09-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Your first question about powder burn. The powderyour using in a 25acp is going to be a fast powder Bulleye or the like it burns in a 2in 25acp so theat wont be a problem. I didnt think it made any difference on the lengh if its rifled.
Oh a scope on a 25acp? with cast? I would go with a 24 power at least

dk17hmr
09-29-2009, 12:30 AM
How does the outer diameter compare to the inner diameter of the 410 barrel?

The liner is 7/16" in diameter according to Track of the Wolf, which is .4375 in the real word. The smith I talked to said it would be no problem boring the 410 barrel out so the liner would fit. Epoxy would be used like you said, but I was thinkin maybe running a die around a couple inches on both ends of the liner to give it more to grab, and running a tap into the breech end of the shotgun barrel, just enough to kiss the metal not full threads, for the same reason.

I just so happen to have a spare 6-24x BSA scope with target turrets and a sun shade if this project ever gets off the ground.

I talked to my dad today about it and he said what I expected "just buy a 22magnum"...what fun is that. I really want to see what the little round will do....in some states it would be legal as a rifle for deer hunting.

StarMetal
09-29-2009, 12:41 AM
The liner is 7/16" in diameter according to Track of the Wolf, which is .4375 in the real word. The smith I talked to said it would be no problem boring the 410 barrel out so the liner would fit. Epoxy would be used like you said, but I was thinkin maybe running a die around a couple inches on both ends of the liner to give it more to grab, and running a tap into the breech end of the shotgun barrel, just enough to kiss the metal not full threads, for the same reason.

I just so happen to have a spare 6-24x BSA scope with target turrets and a sun shade if this project ever gets off the ground.

I talked to my dad today about it and he said what I expected "just buy a 22magnum"...what fun is that. I really want to see what the little round will do....in some states it would be legal as a rifle for deer hunting.

Doug,

Sounds like a plan. You really don't have to have to put those threads on to give the epoxy a bite. Believe, if you screw up and try to get that liner back out you would see.

I think that round would be more then a match for the 22 mag. If you throat it right you can load the bullet out and have all the powder capacity too. Being the 25 is larger then the 22 Hornet the pressure will subside faster due to the larger bore volume as the bullet moves on down it.

Keep us up to date on this as it's very interesting.

Joe

357Mag
09-29-2009, 02:55 AM
DK -

What about the extractor, for the NEF set-up ? The original .410 unit won't work.

I've done some " mental masturbation " over a Kel-Tec 9mm, set-up for 7 X33 Sako.
Perhaps only practical as a single-shot ? Acquisition cost is ok, though; for such a project.

Regards,
357Mag

dubber123
09-29-2009, 04:41 AM
Doug, I don't see any problems at all. For the extractor, just fab up a new one, or weld up the old and re-mill to fit the smaller case. My brother and I just did that to an old 16 ga. we relined to 38-55. Works fine. Go easy on the Acraglas. It takes ALOT less than you think, and if the liner is fit snugly, it will kinda hydraulic itself on the way in and will take LOTS of pounding with a big hammer to get it seated. Ask me how I know....

dk17hmr
09-29-2009, 07:37 AM
The extractor can be bought from Brownells for a few bucks, I am pretty sure a 22 horent extractor/ejector will work.

autofix4u
09-29-2009, 07:53 AM
That's impressive autofix4u. Is it just single or did you work some kind of magazine into it?:drinks:

Joe

Its a single shooter now. I never could get it to feed from a mag with the 32acp. The oal is just to short for the jump to the chamber. I haven't tried with the longer 32s due to lack of a doner mag.

scrapcan
09-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Coul dyou fit the liner so that it is removable? tension it in with a muzzle nut. You could then try several different liners on the same action. This could be similar to the shotgun inserts.

Bret4207
09-30-2009, 08:17 AM
Years back on Shooters there was talk of converting a Ruger 10-22, but nothing came of it. Would be interesting though.

MNruss
09-30-2009, 03:01 PM
I really like the idea, but a couple of paranoid - keep the feds away - thoughts :
If you're gonna cut the .410 barrel shorter than 18", do so only AFTER boring out (or at least beginning to bore out) the chamber - no SBR's
If you leave the liner short of the end of the .410 barel, could the ATF call that a suppressor?
Regards
Russ

StarMetal
09-30-2009, 04:17 PM
I really like the idea, but a couple of paranoid - keep the feds away - thoughts :
If you're gonna cut the .410 barrel shorter than 18", do so only AFTER boring out (or at least beginning to bore out) the chamber - no SBR's
If you leave the liner short of the end of the .410 barel, could the ATF call that a suppressor?
Regards
Russ

No I don't think you could call that a suppressor. Couple examples, the Yugo SKS's have a grenade launcher cylinder on the end of the muzzle that just that, a cylinder larger then the bore and has no side vents. Think about the Mosin's, Swedes, and other rifles that are counter bored, quite deep on some too. I think he's safe as long as the barrel length meets requirements. What I don't know is would the ATF see the gun as a shotgun or a rifle? Especially if the barrel is marked .410 gauge. I'd keep it at 18 inches myself.

Joe

leftiye
10-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Shouldn't matter as long as it has 16 plus inches of barrel and a full fixed buttstock.

Buckshot
10-02-2009, 03:10 AM
............I have an article by Dave Corbin where he made up a cute little Remingtom RB rifle chambered for the 22 Flea. This was the 32 ACP necked down to 22 caliber. His brother Richard was at the time running the machine shop (Pre: RCE Enterprises) and Dave prevailed upon him to make the dies and stuff. It was a neat project and the cartridge could approch and just beat 2,000 fps with some bullet weights, but it was not a very flexibale cartridge, as might suppose having such a small case.

...............Buckshot

StarMetal
10-02-2009, 06:53 AM
Shouldn't matter as long as it has 16 plus inches of barrel and a full fixed buttstock.

I don't know Leftiye, the ATF gives lots of folks headaches. For example a different caliber upper then what is marked on an AR15 lower, or using lower receivers from AR15 pistols and rifles, or using a M16 carrier in an AR15. If they seen a single shot firearm that says 410 shotgun on the barrel markings and the barrel is 16 inches I'll bet they can give you a problem over it. I'd be safe and make it 18, it's only two more inches.

Joe

Catshooter
10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a fun project. Sort of similar to Ed Harris's work with the .32 ACP/.32 S&W long in rifles. I've thought of doing this with a Remington .22 that has the nine locking lugs on the bolt. Using cast boolits, of course.

Ya need a Ranch Dog mould though, don't ya think? :)

Cat

dk17hmr
10-02-2009, 06:22 PM
The stamping (410 3") on these barrels are on top of the barrel, right where the scope mount would cover it, never the less 18" of barrel even with a 16" liner isnt a big deal, its stil going to be short and handi.

Did he ever finish his .25 mold work?

StarMetal
10-02-2009, 06:38 PM
The stamping (410 3") on these barrels are on top of the barrel, right where the scope mount would cover it, never the less 18" of barrel even with a 16" liner isnt a big deal, its stil going to be short and handi.

Did he ever finish his .25 mold work?

The serial number will still list it as a shotgun I'll bet. But at 18 inches you're safe. Not trying to discourage you one iota. I know how the ATF can be and not want to see anything unpleasant happen to you over that project, not that it will.

Joe

dk17hmr
10-02-2009, 06:41 PM
If I use a Shotgun frame you are correct, I was planning on putting it on one of my SB2 Rifle Frames.....they have better triggers.

Catshooter
10-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Doug,

As far as I know Ranch Dog never did come up with a .25 acp mould.

Cat

StarMetal
10-02-2009, 10:20 PM
If I use a Shotgun frame you are correct, I was planning on putting it on one of my SB2 Rifle Frames.....they have better triggers.

Sounds like you've covered all you bases and are good to go. That's great.

Joe

Clark
08-14-2011, 04:27 PM
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(oifth1nlgkxii445004ipa45))/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=142&styleID=483
I emailed them and asked how long it could be made, the response was up to 48". .

Thank you for posting that.

A lack of a .251" groove barrel was holding me back for my next weird project.

dk17hmr
08-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Thank you for posting that.

A lack of a .251" groove barrel was holding me back for my next weird project.

I like your style.

I have a 10" contender barrel in the works right now.

How long did you go with that guy? what type of velocity are you getting?

JTknives
08-15-2011, 12:25 PM
doug your 25acp handy rifle is going to give my 700 a run for its money.

Chicken Thief
08-22-2011, 03:22 PM
So everybody talks and nobody says much about feasability.
Here goes my best calcs on a 16" barrel and a fictive cal .251" 55gr boolit.

Please consider this as a wery WAG, as i know nothing about your boolit!!!

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/25ACPguestimate.jpg

Given some actual data on the boolit a better guestimate is possible.

Carolina Cast Bullets
08-22-2011, 04:43 PM
I told Vell about your project and she came up with a name for it:

25 Pissant

"Whats he gonna shoot with it, pissants?"

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

shotman
08-22-2011, 06:49 PM
yea but at 10 ft they would be dead pissants

dk17hmr
08-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Chicken Thief,
Thanks for the info.

I have about 1000 50gr FMJ's I will be using, along with my 51gr RN cast boolit, and 35gr Jacketed Hollow points. My barrel is "only" going to be 10" but I expect 1500fps with the 35gr HP's out of it, the 50gr's somewhere in the 1100fps neighborhood.

Should be a fun little gun when its all done.

DLCTEX
08-23-2011, 12:17 AM
The ATF will not accept a pistol made on a rifle action with a barrel length shorter than 16". Once a rifle, always a rifle. I'll bet they will view a shotgun action shorter than 18' as illegal even if it has been converted to a rifle.

Chicken Thief
08-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Chicken Thief,
Thanks for the info.

I have about 1000 50gr FMJ's I will be using, along with my 51gr RN cast boolit, and 35gr Jacketed Hollow points. My barrel is "only" going to be 10" but I expect 1500fps with the 35gr HP's out of it, the 50gr's somewhere in the 1100fps neighborhood.

Should be a fun little gun when its all done.

If you can state model and make of the bullets then i can run some proper calcs!

smkummer
08-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Sorry to maybe get off topic but it appears that the 25 stevens rimfire uses the same bore dia. (.251) as the 25 auto. Anyone ever convert a old stevens to 25 acp? Its possible that the semi-rim of the 25 auto might just be enough to headspace. So that altering the firing pin may be all thats required. According to COTW, Rem. and Win. also chambered guns for the 25 stevens.

drinks
08-24-2011, 05:13 PM
I am locating a .50-70 barrel on a shotgun action by cutting a "O" ring groove near the muzzle to center the insert and locating the insert by drilling and tapping the underside of the shotgun chamber for a socket head set screw., insert can be removed in 30 seconds and is very solidly and accurately located in the shotgun
A co. in Anchorage makes a large number of inserts for shotguns and rifles.
MCA Sports, they have a web site, but no email address everything is by phone or mail.

dk17hmr
08-24-2011, 05:49 PM
I am locating a .50-70 barrel on a shotgun action by cutting a "O" ring groove near the muzzle to center the insert and locating the insert by drilling and tapping the underside of the shotgun chamber for a socket head set screw., insert can be removed in 30 seconds and is very solidly and accurately located in the shotgun
A co. in Anchorage makes a large number of inserts for shotguns and rifles.
MCA Sports, they have a web site, but no email address everything is by phone or mail.

Yea I had one in 22 hornet for a 28 gauge I had...... wasn't worth my time because I had a rifle already chambered for it...... neat idea though.... needed an extractor to be useful though

M-Tecs
08-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Rifle barrels have to be 16 inches and shotgun have to be 18 inches or licensed as a short barrel weapon. If you cut a shotgun barrel off I would not go less than 18 inches. The liner can be shorter. If you want a 10” liner go for it.

It sounds like a fun project except for reloading. I loaded 200 25 acp’s for a friend. Never again. I find anything smaller than 380’s a pain to load, but 2XX gloves are tight on my hands.

0verkill
12-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Did this ever get anywhere?

dk17hmr
12-23-2011, 12:53 PM
I dropped the carbine idea and went with a 10" contender barrel. It is at one of our members gun shop right now being built. I had a 22lr with a screwed up chamber that shot really well but wouldnt let go of the fired cases. So it became the donor for the 25 acp. I ordered a liner from Track of the Wolf, which slugs very close to the same for the lenght with in .0005 from one end to the other so I should be good for cast when the barrel gets done.

After the holidays I will see where the project stands.

I need to order a Ranch Dog mold and get some cast so I have a hunting boolit.

Reg
12-23-2011, 01:19 PM
I think the project would be fun. The "why not" part of this game is the best part .
I made up a Stevens Favorite a few years back in .32 S&W short. Numrich had a few of the Marlin barrels they used for their 30 Carbine and the twist was about right. Had to do a bit to the action, new, hard pins, etc, but made into a fun and not too shabby shooting plinking rifle.
Have to stay with very light loads to keep the pressure down and stayed with a 18 inch barrel to keep the whole balance of the rifle in line. A lot of work but very worth while in the end.
I would consider appearance and balance more important than short barrel length. Likewise myself, I would try to find another Favorite action. The single shot shotgun action you speak of will make into a very heavy, clunky,rifle. Because of the limits of the Favorite action, however, it would not be smart to go out to the .25 Hornet. I don't think it would handle it. You will have to headspace off the end of the shell casing like setting up for .45 ACP. No problem to modify the extractor but it might have to be some kind of spring loaded rebounding extractor ( see Mr. Single Shots Gunsmithing Idea Book, by deHaas, page 13, fig.1-15). Using one of the Remington bolt action rifles, mentioned, would make into a nice looking, easy to set up rifle but there again, doubtful about going out to the .25 Hornet. A Martini Cadet or Rook action might be a better way to go if this is what you had in mind.
Go for it and post pictures.

:drinks:

W.R.Buchanan
12-28-2011, 08:23 PM
I got here a little late but I was going to suggest getting your barrel sleeve and putting circular spacers on it and a chamber end that duplicates the shot gun chamber.

This is the way Briley makes shotgun liners for Skeet guns. There are tubes that just slide into the guns barrel for each gauge.

I saw a Kreighoff Skeet gun recently that had one set of 12 ga barrels, and then another set of barrels that was for the 3 sets of sub ga tubes. The idea was that the sub ga barrel set balanced exactly like the 12 ga barrel set so you were essentially shooting the same weight gun with the same balance for all the gauges. Nice gun and a hell of a buy at $12K! It came in it's own case complete with the 3 sets of Briley tubes.

In fact Briley or one of the other tube makers might even make what you want for a reasonable price. Then you could just slide the thing in an out and never alter the shotgun.

Just a thought, but if you are doing it on a TC Encore action then that would be a good way too, and the gun will be alot better looking than converting a single barrel shotgun.

Randy

Crooked Creek
05-12-2012, 06:31 PM
What ever happened to the Contender barrel project (or any other one)....did it happen or not ?
I've seen a 15" Contender barrel in 25 ACP for sale that I am considering, but I'm running up against brick walls trying to find anything that has actually been done with the 25 ACP in longer barrels and heavier actions. Anyone have any experience? It seems this thread just died at the end of 2011 !

dk17hmr
05-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Im having a 10" barrel lined, its actually at the smiths right now and I probably should call him up.

So I dont have any experience yet.....where did you find a 15"?

Crooked Creek
05-14-2012, 12:43 PM
dk17hmr,
Ed's Contenders. I just ordered it for $265 plus $14 priority mail, shipping today. 15" bull barrel standard finish and Ed did not think it had sights. He said he may have a second barrel but wasn't sure, said he would have to check.
Don't know what bullets you plan to shoot (boolits or jacketed), but I'll pass along a super deal I also just found. Lee Precision is closing out a six cavity mold for the 25 ACP for $26 (without handles). That's half the normal price, plus they are available immediately. After my order this morning for one, they have 17 molds left as of 11:00 CST. The SKU is 99555and mold number is TL257-50-RF. While I was talking to Lee, I also ordered a custom push through bullet sizer die kit in .252" diameter. I'm thinking the push through sizer will be easier to cope with than using my Lyman 45 or 450 or RCBS sizer/lubricators. I have .257" sizer dies for those, but 'me thinks' that's a tad large for the ACP .251" bore. Plus the price for the Lee sizer kit in custom diameter is $32 with about a three week turn around....so she said, we'll see! Now, I just have to order a Lee carbide die set for about $30 and some cases and will be ready to go !
The Contender will obviously handle much higher pressures (2 times, at least ?) than what the typical 25 ACP pistol is rated for. I'll just have to sneak up slowly watching the cases and primer pockets. It should be an interesting experiment to see what I can get out of it (speed and accuracy) playing around with some different powders. I'm thinking it should easily get 1200-1400 fps.
Good luck with your project.

Dark Helmet
05-14-2012, 09:35 PM
I have one of the Lee molds mentioned above, casts about .259x.260

Crooked Creek
05-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Dark,
I hate to hear that ! Have you had any problems sizing down to 25 ACP diameters ? Do you use push through or conventional sizing ?

Dark Helmet
05-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Sorry, I'm gonna use them in a 257 Roberts as a plinker, unless my cousin decides to shoot his 25 acp. Gonna try some as cast first.

Chev. William
09-23-2013, 03:09 AM
How is your .25ACP Rifle project doing?
I am new to this Forum and Thread but I am interested in the Rifle use of .25ACP and it's longer, older, brother, the .25 Stevens.
Yes to if the .25ACP would fit in a .25 Stevens chamber. The .25ACP, or 6.35x16mmSR Browning, is a Semi-Rimmed design and head spaces on the rim, not the mouth of the cartridge. Both are straight walled and of the same diameter body. Also the .25 Stevens short is about the same size as the .25ACP.
I am in the process of converting two 1894 Stevens Favorite actions to handle CF and have a design for a CF .25 Stevens Cartridge already prototyped and waiting for the actions to be refurbished and all pins and screws replaced with modern heat treated alloy steel ones to give some added margin and to prevent early wear, which the original soft pins and screws were prone to.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

revolvergeek
09-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Doug,

As far as I know Ranch Dog never did come up with a .25 acp mould.

Cat

He did. I have one. Never cast with it though. I picked it up on clearance because I keep thinking that I want Bowen to make me a .25 Flea Single Six one day. One of the guys that I work with has been using it to load for a couple .25 acp autos.

Chev. William
09-24-2013, 01:47 AM
Ranch Dog also has a 'TL255- . . .. " design that is in the mold manufacture chain last time I heard.
The new TL255 has a .001" smaller diameter and a longer nose countour to better clear the seating dies. I learned of it too late to get in on the 'Group Mold Buy", Oh Well.
The TL256 design is commercially cast by "Carolina Cast Bullets" if any one would like to get some to experiment with.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
09-28-2013, 10:31 AM
On a whim, I checked the case capacity of some Magtech primed cases with fffg GOEX Black Powder (BP), it turns out the case would hold about 5.0 grains level filled loose to the Rim and about 4.0 grains with enough space to seat a bullet.

Then I tried loading a case with 4.0 grains of BP and seating a 'TL256--' Ranch dog bullet, I received from "Caroling Cast Bullets", to a case overall length of .840".
Problem: The case stuck in the Shell Holder.
I finally got the loaded round out of the shell holder and found that it had deformed to imprint the bottom contour of the shell holder in the Case Base, leaving a "U" shaped area round the primer and extending to the rim "proud' of the rest of the base. The bullet nose was slightly bulged and heavily imprinted with the outline of the seating punch.
After pulling the bullet I found the powder charge compressed into one solid mass that tightly adhered to the case interior.
I 'dug' the charge out with a narrow tool, it took about 10 minutes of 'chipping' to get the last bit of the BP charge out.

Lesson Learned: Do not try to compress a 4.0 grain Charge of this BP in a Magtech case with a Ranch Dog Tl256 design bullet to an overall length of .840".

I have some I loaded with the same components to an overall cartridge length of .850" that easily came out of the press and only show a slight marking of the seating punch as a visible ring mark on the nose. The Added .010" in length for this set of components seems to still give some compression of the BP charge without distorting the finished round.

They will be set aside to await the return of my Stevens Favorite Rifles from my Gunsmith.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

dangerranger
11-05-2013, 12:55 AM
My grandfathers squirrel gun was a Remington Rolling block that had been rechambered from 25 rimfire to 25acp. He did it to take advantage of the better bullets. In his day 22 mag was not very accurate and only came with a lead bullet. He hunted with jacketed hollow points. Im thinking he made this gun up sometime after WWII. He passed in 1967, I shot it with him sometime before that. I rember it being more potent than my 22LR guns by quite a bit. Knowing him he wouldnt have kept it if it was not accurate! DR

Chev. William
11-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Thank you for sharing your memory of your Grandfather's Remington in .25ACP.
It makes me hope that I will get my Stevens Favorite 1894 Series Action back as a shooter from my Gunsmith sooner rather than later. It is now put off until probably December due to his Movie work in the interim.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

filthygovmploye
11-05-2013, 07:04 PM
rifle oal is like 26" varies by state i presume. i wuold recommend 18" and turn the last lil bit into a compensator... not that you need it, but that you can... or perhaps a quck detach silencer mount point, go wild man!!

i havent read the 3 pages yet to see if everyone else has alread said what i am saying, so i apologize if i am bein redundant

Chev. William
11-06-2013, 12:49 PM
1. !8 inches from breech face to muzzle is the MINIMUM shotgun barrel length and if it is marked as a Shotgun, that is what is should be measured as.
2. there is a separate overall length measurement for rifles and shotguns (long guns) which I do not remember off hand but I believe is longer than the stated 26 inches.
3. Rifles, so marked, have a Minimum breech face to muzzle length limit of 16 inches.
4. Never cut a barrel to the "minimum length" the enforcing agent may have a differing measuring device and it could measure just under the minimum so getting you into BIG Trouble with Enforcement. Always leave a barrel longer than the minimum, it also leaves some room for later Crown repairs.
5. Overall lengths for Long Guns shorter than whatever the legal limit is can also get you into BIG Trouble with Enforcement.
Best Regards,
Chev. William