PDA

View Full Version : Kroil up date

shotman
09-28-2009, 07:09 AM
As many of you know I am a big supporter of Kroil on molds. Well all my steel molds {that I have used} have been bought used.
I just got a mold off here that was an older Lyman that has never been used. It was a 280473 that is a 270cal DC . I cleaned the factory coating off and soaked it in Kroil. The 4 th drop I got perfect boolits. That is rare for a small boolit.

Bret4207
09-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Rick, does the Kroil seem to leave any kind of coating on the mould? Is there any diff in size between a Kroiled mould and a "bare" one?

Edubya
09-28-2009, 04:44 PM
I ain't Rick, but I can tell that it makes no difference with my single moulds or with my H&G ten mould unit. I followed Ricks advise about three months ago and am more than pleased! I figure that if there is a residue, it must be like "beagling".
EW

kelbro
09-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I tried it for the first time this last weekend with a 2 cav Lee TL mold and the mold started dropping nice bullets easily after the first 10 or so. After about 50-60, the mold started getting a little sticky again. Do you re-apply or do you just need to wait a few sessions until it has seasoned?

shotman
09-28-2009, 11:23 PM
bret It dont change the size like the spray release or smoke soot.
kelbro If you are going to cast many at a time then when they start to stick[about 50 or so] take a Q tip and wipe the cavity. If you buy it in the spray can you can flash spray the cavity. I will work but it does cool the mold some and you may get a couple bad ones,till mold reheats. When you are finished casting spray or pour Kroil on the mold and let cool. Dont drop it in a can full . store the way you do any mold. Kroil will not prevent rust so you need to put it in something air tight
Most of the time you will not have to hit the cavitys after 50+ when the mold seasons. It like a black iron skillet.