PDA

View Full Version : LEE Precision Melter......

WILCO
09-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Thinking about getting the LEE Precision Melter so I can get back on track with my casting of boolits. Two reasons I'm considering this unit are:

A) I like to use a ladle.
B) Price ( I'm broke....)

There are better units on e-bay, but I don't think I want to go that route.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

stubshaft
09-28-2009, 12:53 AM
They are cheap, last a long time, are as good as any other brand (unless you want to hold a specific temperature) and are easily repaired with good parts availability. I just replaced my pot for $21.00 including shipping AND I ordered direct from Lee. They sent part in 3 days. When it finally comes time to replace (if I'm still alive) I'll buy me another one!

dromia
09-28-2009, 02:25 AM
The Lee's melt boolit alloy which is what you want, they are not sophisticated but neither is the price.

Their bottom pours are a nuisance and not really fit for purpose from the box. I "fixed" my lee 17lb bottom pour by removing the bottom pour mechanism and plugging up the hole.

It makes a good dipping pot now, so for your requirements the lee will be OK.

No need to spend more on a dipping pot 'less you need more capacity.

Bret4207
09-28-2009, 07:51 AM
A stainless measuring cup (12 cup in my case, <$10.00) and an $8.00 1100 watt open coil Walmart hot plate does everything a ladle caster needs and the 12 cup pot holds well over 25 lbs alloy. I own, use and admire a lot of the Lee equipment, but their pots and ladle leave something to be desired.

WILCO
09-28-2009, 12:24 PM
an $8.00 1100 watt open coil Walmart hot plate does everything a ladle caster needs.....

I agree. The hot plate I was using won't keep the temps I need to cast anymore and the one I purchased from Walmart wouldn't get hot enough to melt a lead muffin. I even hit the thrift stores and a yard sale searching for one. After looking on-line at prices/shipping, it seems as if the LEE pot is the way to go.........

SpaceGlocker
09-29-2009, 12:18 PM
I have a lee 10lb production pot for sale is good used condition....$40 shipped
from a former Buffalonian.....GO BILLS!

Bret4207
09-29-2009, 08:11 PM
I agree. The hot plate I was using won't keep the temps I need to cast anymore and the one I purchased from Walmart wouldn't get hot enough to melt a lead muffin. I even hit the thrift stores and a yard sale searching for one. After looking on-line at prices/shipping, it seems as if the LEE pot is the way to go.........

From what others here tell me it's important to get the open coil type and 1K+ watts seems to help. I'm getting the hang of BPs now, but I'll not give up my ladle.