PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a new mold...

jdgabbard
09-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Ok, so I'm looking at buying a new mold, a 4 - 6 cav. I absolutly hate using the lee's. My boolits never drop at the right diameter, I have problems maintaining heat and fillout. Just unhappy with them. I do love my Lymans tho.

So my question is, are the lee 6 cavs any better than the 2 cavs when it come to these things? Or should I just go with iron like I like with my 2 cavs?

Buckshot
09-28-2009, 01:17 AM
...............The 6 cav Lee's are in a whole nuther world compared to their 2 cavity moulds. Their claim is "Commercial Quality", and I'm not going to debate that if they're comparing it to their own 2 cavity blocks. As good as they are an iron or steel RCBS, Lyman, or Saeco is a lifetime thing IMHO. But for price, durability, and production the Lee 6 cavs are a tough act to follow, and I have a BUNCH of their's and also group buys done in 6 cavs.

..............Buckshot

Bret4207
09-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Agree with Buck that the 6 cav's are a couple steps up in quality. But, you still have the same issue as with any aluminum alloy mould- they need more heat than a comparable iron/steel mould. Mould heat is key with a Lee of either persuasion. No offense or disrespect intended to your abilities, but try running the mould hotter, don't let it cool down, keep a fast casting tempo going and preheat the mould if necessary. A hot mould is a happy mould. Once you get the hang of a Lee you'll like them.

theperfessor
09-28-2009, 10:26 AM
+1 to what Buckshot and Bret said.

jdgabbard
09-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Outstanding. Thanks for the replies gents.