PDA

View Full Version : Get to test stuck case remover-thanks lanolin!

cheese1566
09-27-2009, 09:29 PM
I get to test out my stuck case remover! First time in 15 years, good thing I bought a used RCBS set from a fellow friend here months back.

I created a lanolin case lube cocktail using 90% rubbing alcohol and anhydrous lanolin. I did research from info here and on other reloading sites.

I tried at first to use the common recipes found here using lanolin and rubbing alcohol. My girlfriend deals in bulk anhydrous lanolin so it is plenty in the house. I could only find 90% alcohol and passed over Iso-Heet. I placed about a tablespoon of lanolin in my sprayer (which was a gooey mess) and poured in alcohol. Won't mix! I then dropped a bullet in the sprayer to help agitate.

I then emptied the bottle into another large bottle. I added some more lanolin and extra alcohol. I shook the bottle everyday for the last two weeks to get a good mixture. Once it settled and I figured I had a saturated solution, I carefully poured the solution into the spray bottle. My mixture looked to have the same yellow tint as the Cabela's lube (whick lists ingredients as alcohol and lanolin).

Tonight I sprayed it on three 223 cases destined for a small base sizer die. After a few moments of dry time the first went through OK, the next ripped the rim right off.

Bummer!

Should I keep trying using Iso-Heet? or junk it!

I am thinking of going back to my Hornady Unique or the bottle of case lube I got from BullShop. Just wanted some quicker for bulk lots of sizing.

(I wanted liquid lanolin--she had some but threw it out a few months back-she it was nasty to work with! Doohh!

garandsrus
09-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Hi,

I use liquid lanolin and rubbing alcohol as a case lube. The 90% alcohol won't stay mixed, as you found out. However, you can shake it prior to using and it will work fine.

The 99% alcohol and lanolin will stay mixed, but I would still recommend a quick shake of the bottle.

John

Calamity Jake
09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
I use the 99% and lanolin, when making the lube I melt the lanolin and heat the alcohol in bottle placed in hot water pour the melted lanolin into the alcohol. It stays mixed this way, I never have to shake to remix.

R.C. Hatter
09-28-2009, 01:35 PM
:arrow::violin:Why don't you just quit foolin' with that stuff and get a small can of Crisco
as it's cheap and it WORKS.