PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pistol Machine Rest replacement

Bucks Owin
04-20-2006, 04:26 AM
Remember the old Lee handgun machine rests? Does anybody make something similar "these days" that doesn't cost an arm & leg? A Ransom Rest is out of my shootin' budget league....

Wish I could find an old Lee unit with a couple of adapters.....(especially Blackhawk and K-frame)

Dennis

Ranch Dog
04-20-2006, 04:31 AM
I looked for one for several years and finally gave up. I found one in good shape about a year ago and the fellow wanted several hundred $$$ for it but he didn't have any adapters so I passed. They got to be out there but I guess everyone is hanging on to them.

Bucks Owin
04-20-2006, 06:25 PM
I came up with this contraption built from hardwood scrap which works "OK" but it ain't no Ransom Rest! Wonder if someone might have any plans for a better homegrown rig?

Dennis

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/13097HBD_h001-thumb.jpg

Bucks Owin
04-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Hmmmmm. That photo didn't come out too good. Let's try this:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/First003.jpg

versifier
04-20-2006, 08:01 PM
It doesn't have to be fancy cabinetry in exotic woods to do the job. Your unit looks functional. It just needs to be solid and repeatable. Many just test their hangun/loads off of sandbags, which I don't think effectively eliminates the human in the equation. I use a Pistol Perch attachment on an Outers Varminter rest. It's adjustable for different guns and quite solid. It sees plenty of use in both setups for testing loads and has been for about 10 years now. There is a pistol-only version that won't break the bank, too. But, I see nothing wrong with your setup, only that it's built for one specific pistol. Why fix what works?

StarMetal
04-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Dennis,

You revolver there sure looks like it has alot of bolt drag with the ring on your cylinder there. Is that a new model? Another reason I like the old models, unless they are out of time they don't leave a drag ring.

Joe

Bucks Owin
04-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Dennis,

You revolver there sure looks like it has alot of bolt drag with the ring on your cylinder there. Is that a new model? Another reason I like the old models, unless they are out of time they don't leave a drag ring.

Joe

Oh, heck no! That's a 46 yr old 10" .44 Flattop that "Santa" brought me last year. The previous owner(s) weren't real kind to her to say the least. But the bore is good and the BC gap is still tight. She ain't real pretty (at the moment) but I sure do love her! Shoots like a rifle....

Dennis

Not sure if I'm gonna have Ruger reblue it or who.....Any suggestions?

44man
04-21-2006, 07:57 AM
That rest looks good! I tried the plastic one with my .475 and it flew over my head with every shot. I modified it but it still clangs all over the bench. I have to use bags with this gun.

BruceB
04-21-2006, 08:37 AM
The wooden rest does indeed look like it'll work rather well. I have a commercial rest that looks just about like this one!

However, the purpose of a "machine rest" is to REMOVE the human factor as much as possible. That is, it mechanically aligns the gun with the intended impact area, and our mortal weaknesses such as eyesight, flinching, varying grip pressures, etc etc etc do not enter into the testing of the gun and ammunition.

The Lee device was not a "machine rest" in the purest sense of the term, because there was a definite learning curve associated with its use. Until the shooter learned just how to position the rest and gun against the locating points, and how to maintain uniform conditions while doing so and firing the shot, the results were less than glorious. Once those lessons were learned, though, it became a valuable tool. The sights on the gun were not used.

A couple of friends and I did a rather extensive development program with cast wadcutters in our S&W Model 52 .38 Special autoloaders, and with the assistance of a Lee Machine Rest we eventually just about equalled the Remington Targetmasters which were our "control" load (at 50 yards). Without the Lee rest, our results would have been much more difficult to assess.

After that experience with the .38 autos, we got more ambitious and bought the so-called gun holder for the .44 Super Blackhawk, of which we all owned at least one copy. We weren't at all shy about cranking up the power to maximum levels, and again found the rest to be useful. The only caveat was that the .44 Maggies were so wrenching in recoil that it was difficult to bolt the holder to the gun tightly enough to prevent shifting. Eventually we solved this by RIGOROUSLY de-greasing everything in the system, and then using a 3/8" breaker bar socket wrench to crunch it all together. I seem to recall dusting the whole mess with rosin before tightening things up, too.

I'd buy one , too, if I was lucky enough to find one with the right plumbing for my guns (mostly N-frame S&Ws, which makes it simple).

Bret4207
04-23-2006, 07:48 AM
Latest Sportsmans Guide Catalog had some sort of machine type rest for sale. Try their website, I don't have the catalog anymore.

Ranch Dog
04-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Thank Tpr. Bret...

I thought I would give the Parallax Pistol Sighting System (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=180398) a try. It might end up in my burn hole but what the heck. At least it's heavy...

jhalcott
04-23-2006, 11:08 AM
I do NOT think that thing is designed for the big thumpers!It appears to only hold the gun steady to ADJUST the sights. It does weigh 5 pounds though.The
"clamping " area was photoed by an E-BAY camera and isn't real clear if there is a swivel to allow for recoil.???

Ranch Dog
04-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Well it sure isn't the Lee rest but it doesn't demand the prices of the Lee if you can find one. If it doesn't work, it will go back the way it came.

I actually only have two pistols now a 25 and 45 ACP. It would be nice to have a rest that will hold the pistol steady for some load work. I just got a mold for my 25 ACP and going to get on working with it.

Dale53
04-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Some years ago, having less disposable income than what a Ransom Rest cost, I made a "presentation" to my local gun club to buy a rest. I pointed out that I would make any information that I discovered available to anyone that asked. I further stated that this is why we created gun clubs - to do what an individual could NOT do (build a range, buy a chronograph, buy a Ransom Rest, etc). The club bought the argument (and the rest, and the chronograph) and I have kept my promise for many years. There were a few dissenters, but I have heard NO complaints for several years. They can be a marvelous test machine but even a Ransom Rest requires some "learning". Part of the duties I assumed when the club got the rest and chrono, is that I not only learned to use both effectively but trained anyone that wished to use the items. This (the training) has a two fold purpose. It helps insure that the equipment is used properly and you share knowledge with your fellow members. Everyone wins.:drinks:

Dale53

Bucks Owin
04-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Some years ago, having less disposable income than what a Ransom Rest cost, I made a "presentation" to my local gun club to buy a rest. I pointed out that I would make any information that I discovered available to anyone that asked. I further stated that this is why we created gun clubs - to do what an individual could NOT do (build a range, buy a chronograph, buy a Ransom Rest, etc). The club bought the argument (and the rest, and the chronograph) and I have kept my promise for many years. There were a few dissenters, but I have heard NO complaints for several years. They can be a marvelous test machine but even a Ransom Rest requires some "learning". Part of the duties I assumed when the club got the rest and chrono, is that I not only learned to use both effectively but trained anyone that wished to use the items. This (the training) has a two fold purpose. It helps insure that the equipment is used properly and you share knowledge with your fellow members. Everyone wins.:drinks:

Dale53

Hey, you're a real "smart feller"! :-D My club has a chrono (who doesn't since the "Chrony" came out!) but no Ransom Rest......hmmmmm

Dennis :drinks:

Ranch Dog
05-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Thank Tpr. Bret...

I thought I would give the Parallax Pistol Sighting System (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=180398) a try. It might end up in my burn hole but what the heck. At least it's heavy...

Well I bought this rest and I'm going to return it. First and foremost is that on the opening page of the instructions it says not to use it as a rest for firing a pistol. It is a sighting adjustment device.

In the meantime... I found a Lee Pistol Rest :Fire: One went unsold on eBay so I contacted the seller. I think the reason it didn't sell is that is just wasn't listed right. Bought it for $70 with two inserts!!! It is a 9 on a 10 scale so I'm really pleased. One insert is for the 45 ACP, which I needed, and the other is for S&W revolver frames. I would like to trade that insert (the S&W insert) for another auto insert. Anybody got one that would fit small frame autos like my Raven 25 ACP? Now that I'm looking at the rest for the first time in person, it wouldn't be hard to machine additional inserts for individual handguns.

In that I have my own shooting range, I will be able to prep one bench for this rest so the setup time will be minimal. This really looks like a nice piece of equipment!

7br
05-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Not sure of the correct handle on this board, but a gentleman emailed me these pics for a cheapo rest that works pretty derned good.

Here is the text with the emailed pics.

I use a wedge under the butt, and a lot of masking tape to keep from damaging the gun's finish. Everything from the hardware store, 1" pvc pipe.
I'm 67, with trifocals, and need the gun 6" higher than the normal chair/bench rest so I can focus on the scope.

One suggestion is to have the u clamp point down. Keeps the wingnuts way from the scope

Bucks Owin
05-13-2006, 12:54 PM
The wooden rest does indeed look like it'll work rather well. I have a commercial rest that looks just about like this one!

However, the purpose of a "machine rest" is to REMOVE the human factor as much as possible. That is, it mechanically aligns the gun with the intended impact area, and our mortal weaknesses such as eyesight, flinching, varying grip pressures, etc etc etc do not enter into the testing of the gun and ammunition.

The Lee device was not a "machine rest" in the purest sense of the term, because there was a definite learning curve associated with its use. Until the shooter learned just how to position the rest and gun against the locating points, and how to maintain uniform conditions while doing so and firing the shot, the results were less than glorious. Once those lessons were learned, though, it became a valuable tool. The sights on the gun were not used.

A couple of friends and I did a rather extensive development program with cast wadcutters in our S&W Model 52 .38 Special autoloaders, and with the assistance of a Lee Machine Rest we eventually just about equalled the Remington Targetmasters which were our "control" load (at 50 yards). Without the Lee rest, our results would have been much more difficult to assess.

After that experience with the .38 autos, we got more ambitious and bought the so-called gun holder for the .44 Super Blackhawk, of which we all owned at least one copy. We weren't at all shy about cranking up the power to maximum levels, and again found the rest to be useful. The only caveat was that the .44 Maggies were so wrenching in recoil that it was difficult to bolt the holder to the gun tightly enough to prevent shifting. Eventually we solved this by RIGOROUSLY de-greasing everything in the system, and then using a 3/8" breaker bar socket wrench to crunch it all together. I seem to recall dusting the whole mess with rosin before tightening things up, too.

I'd buy one , too, if I was lucky enough to find one with the right plumbing for my guns (mostly N-frame S&Ws, which makes it simple).

Now that I've aquired a Lee rest, :-D , I would sure like to find a Blackhawk adapter. You don't happen to know where I could find one do you? I emailed Lee asking if they might have one in their "old stock" but haven't recieved a reply as yet...

Dennis

BTW, thanks for the tips on usage!

PS: Do the "XR3" and "XR3-RED" gripframes take the same adapter I wonder?

meldrimgunsmith
06-09-2006, 08:08 AM
I have a ransom rest for sale or trade :)