PDA

View Full Version : Dixie/Lyman Bore Rider

chuebner
09-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Anyone have any experience with the 45 cal. bore rider BPCR bullet sold by Dixie? The mold is made by Lyman and must be a special run since I have never seen it in any catalogs.

charlie

montana_charlie
09-27-2009, 07:02 PM
If you are referring to the one with the reduced driving bands in the front, Red River Rick likes it in his Pedersoli 45/70 rolling block.
It allows him to get a 45/90 load under the bullet.

CM

jerrold
09-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Anyone have any experience with the 45 cal. bore rider BPCR bullet sold by Dixie? The mold is made by Lyman and must be a special run since I have never seen it in any catalogs.

charlie

Havent tried it! but it sure looks tempting to try in my 45/90 Pedersoli Sharps

chuebner
09-27-2009, 07:54 PM
If you are referring to the one with the reduced driving bands in the front,

CM

Yes, that is the one. I'm looking for some feedback on that particular mold.

charlie

August
09-29-2009, 01:58 AM
The Mathew's design Lyman Bore Rider (490 grain) is available from Buffalo Arms. It carries a good amount of lube (I went ten shots in cowboy competition the other day and didn't foul out, and didn't wipe or blow-tube).

It's not the most accurate bullet I've used, but it carries lots of lube and rings the gong at 500 meters every time.

I seems to buck the wind well for a (relatively) light .45 boolit.

Southern Son
09-29-2009, 09:16 AM
If it is the Lyman Mould 457677 (the one August is talking about), I got one of them second hand for a gunshop in Brisbane. It is as good as any other Lyman mould, you can seat it a fair way out (I forget how many driving bands I could get outside of the case), but it did not perform well when I tried it in my rifle. I have put a new barrel on my rifle since I last tried it, so it may well work in the new barrel. The I could also seat the Lyman Postell (Lyman Mould 457132) one or two driving bands out. That mould shot better for me in the old barrel. I have custom mould now and have not touched either mould for more than 12 months. Sorry I can't be more helpfull.