PDA

View Full Version : Is there something special about Lyman #311465?

USBP SW
04-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Some time ago I picked up a Lyman/Ideal mould #311465 in the little orange box. The only reason I bought it was because it was cheap and it looks to have been used very little, if at all. I was looking at Ebay recently, out of morbid curiosity, and I saw the same little mould, the condition was not as good but the price was over $50 a couple of hours prior to the last minute bidding frenzy. This price seemed to me excessive even by Ebay standards. Perhaps someone can tell me if this is one of the hundreds of highly desireable discontinued designs from Lyman that shoots circles around anything else. And if someone is familiar with this little bullet, I would appreciate any caliber/load info you could share.

Thanks,
Steve

Bass Ackward
04-20-2006, 06:40 AM
Perhaps someone can tell me if this is one of the hundreds of highly desireable discontinued designs from Lyman that shoots circles around anything else.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Pure opinion of the user. And that opinion is based on results. If a bullet can be made to fit, it will shoot. And during the days of .... poorer quality lubes, it solved a lot of problems. The whole Loverin series was tapered. So you just seated out until you made contact. It is also works well with tumble lube meaning that someone just getting started doesn't need a lubrisizer. (Or so they think)

I prefer the 311467 for weight and aerodynamics. But the 311465 works where you have short throats. And most pre64 Winchester 94s had no throat and this was one of the tickets.

HORNET
04-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Steve,
You lucky dawg!! That is a very flexible little boolit that has done very well in every .30 that i've tried it in from .30 Herret to .30-06 and at ridiculous velocities in some cases. Don't have my loading data handy though others on this board have doubtless used it. If you want to part with it????

beagle
04-20-2006, 09:04 AM
The 311465's a darn good little bullet. IMO, the best of the light .30s. I've gotten very good accuracy out of the .30/30 with a flat bumped on the nose, good accuracy out of the .30/06 and it's a very good heavy bullet for the .30 M1 Carbine.

It is a fairly hard bullet to cast because of the Louverin design. Getting the bands to fill out usually requires me to take it up real hot at first and then drop the casting tempo back down a bit. Then, it produces well filled bullets.

Nothing special about the 311465. There were probably fewer of them sold than the 311466 because of the light weight and of course, all of the Springfield owners of its day wanted the 311467.

If you have a .30 or even a SKS, I'd say you had a winner there. It's the most accurate .30 under 150 grains that I've used./beagle

USBP SW
04-22-2006, 06:52 PM
I appreciate the responses to my questions regarding the Lyman/Ideal mould. I particularly enjoy this site because I am encouraged to see others that share my enthusiasm for casting and shooting cast bullets.

Thanks again,
Steve