Using one one of the fat 30 cal GB moulds and a healthy charge of 4895

I only had to wait till I had a clean head shot and I was done
Range was the outlandish distance of 30 - 35 feet

Not sure if the Water droped WW boolit expanded
But the steer droped in it's tracks

Total "Hunt" time was 10 min :drinks:

As I left for work they were hooking the front end loader to it

So by now it should be cut up and in the freezer
I should have my payment of some Porterhouse steaks waiting for me to pick up after work

One of my toughest hunts yeat LOL

John

carpetman
09-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Johnch--Were you wearing camo? If so what style? Were you wearing scent blockers? What type binoculars do you suggest for this type hunting? What type call did you use? You happen to notice wind direction and moon phase? Difficult hunt like that to be successful a guy has to pay attention to all those hings.

waksupi
09-27-2009, 02:24 PM
I want to see the "hunt photos"! A pith helmet, with your foot upon the bovine would have been nice!
I have some friends down at Three Forks, who have a photo album kinda like that. When ever they find a mangled road kill, a bloated dead cow, whatever it is, they will do a pic with the husband or wife with their foot on it, holding a gun. Drives their liberal friends nuts!

Hardcast416taylor
09-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Probably had on "Farmer Camo". That is blue bib overalls, complete with manure, with a worn blue denim long sleeve shirt and an old greasy shell oil co. hat. I`ve worn this same camo rig many times in the last 3/4 century.Robert

Johnch
09-27-2009, 08:15 PM
OK
No I didn't even consider the wind , but I may have passed some sitting there waiting

Camo was work boots ( steel toe of course ) , blue jeans ,faded blue work t shirt and a Oliver hat

Scent controll , was trying not to walk through the manure
As I had to work with a bunch of CITY SLICKERS today , that would not under stand the sweet smell

As for binoculars
None needed

But at 5:30 AM , the barn Mercury vapor lights provide all the detail I needed

John

Thumbcocker
09-27-2009, 08:31 PM
A neighbor of my late grandfathers once told me about having a steer get loose. They trailed it across country for miles. Finally he went home and got his .30-06 and waited until the steer peered at him through a hole in the brush. He shot it in the center of the forehead, winched it into a horse trailer and hauled it to the butcher. He said that once the steer was turned into hamburger he was much easier to keep where the neighbor wanted him. For years after that I kidded him about becoming a professional animal trainer since he had taught the steer to "stay" so well.

Blacksmith
09-27-2009, 10:16 PM
I want to see the video. You know with the hushed voices, especially after the shot. Then the discussion afterwords of the high points and difficulties of the stalk.

Do you plan on a neck mount or shoulder mount for your trophy.

Blacksmith

carpetman
09-27-2009, 11:38 PM
There was a bull that lost interest in the cows. Vet was called and gave the bull some medicine. Bull perked up, went through the herd, jumped the fence and went through next herd. They caught him 3 ranches away. Guy asked the rancher what's the deal on that bull? Rancher told him he had lost interest in cows and was given medicine by the vet. Guy asked the rancher what kind of medicine? Rancher said I have no idea. Tastes like chocolate.

dale2242
09-28-2009, 12:03 AM
I heard this story from a friend.
A man calls the butchers to come get a steer for processing. "Do you want us to kill it ?" asked the butchers. No, he says, "I will take care of that for you". When they got there he had shot it behind the shoulders with his 30-06. That`s where you shoot a deer isn`t it?....dale

lead Foot
09-28-2009, 03:37 AM
City folk ?:veryconfu
Lead foot;