PDA

View Full Version : seeking opinions- peeps/reciever sight

357maximum
09-27-2009, 03:48 AM
Is there any reason why a guy should not mount his lyman reciever sight on the FRONT ring of a small ring mauser reciever instead of to the rear?

If I mount it to the rear it will interfere with stripper clip useage and is right tight to the bolt handle and IMHO kinda in the way.....If I move it forward it still seems to work ok for my eyes and aperature diameter.

Except for the obvious facts it a bit strange looking up front and the sight radius is a bit shorter...anyone see an issue?

I taped it on and it seems to work ok...kinda "scout" peep. :lol:

thanks ye old sages,
Michael

Dutch4122
09-27-2009, 08:52 AM
"Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder"

Some have used this type of setup before and liked it. You will need a bigger aperture for hunting because the disk will be further from your eye and appear smaller at the longer distance.

Biggest problem I can see is mounting an old Lyman sight to the receiver ring. Gonna take some creative metal work.

Just my 2cents.

Patrick L
09-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Is there any reason why a guy should not mount his lyman reciever sight on the FRONT ring of a small ring mauser reciever instead of to the rear?

Well, for one it would look stupid as hell and fairly scream "A real Bubba owns me!" Many times in our eagerness to do a project, we convince ourselves that the functionality of an unconventional modification overrules the esthetic ramifications. In other words we convince ourselves that we don't mind how it looks. A year later we're feeling pretty embarrassed whenever we uncase the gun in the presence of others. And you're right, there's a reason I know all about this. More than one in fact.

Also, I'm not sure if drilling and tapping holes in the front ring is a good idea since it does a lot more pressure containment than the rear ring.

Are you sure you've got that sight positioned as far back as it will go? If so, I'd be inclined to trim down/modify the sight, rather than doing something irreversible to the rifle that we might regret later. If you totally screw up the sight you can always buy another. Also, check out a Williams Foolproof or a 5D. There may be a slight dimensional difference that will work for you. And lastly, you might want to check out the Williams Guide Receiver Sight. While not as adjustable as a true side mounted receiver sight, I've had a few and done some good shooting with them.

Let us know how you make out.

357maximum
09-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Pat

I have sat here moving it back and forth with tape holding it on.....It is NOT growing on me at all......I agree with your statement...I was havung a moment apparently........sometimes you just have to go conventional. I think I can nibble the forwad edge of the reciever sight ever so slightly to make it still function with strippers.

I too have guns I hide from my friends.[smilie=s::bigsmyl2::shock: but they shoot.

Matt

She is coming along nicely .....when Boyds says semi inlet...they mean partially kinda sort almost inlet....and there is a small gap under the bolt release that is not my fault it came with not quite enough wood there and will have to have a sliver added...other than that....she is looking mighty fine.

I have already done some "creative metal work....that old lyman base was for an FN mauser and it had an upper flat area that had to be made to fit a cylindrical object........she fits like a glove now (not Oj's either)[smilie=l: Spent about 2 hours running it up and down a emery wrapped chunk of old shotgun barrel to make it fit with NO AIR.....she's tight now.

I am going to add a ramped front sight off from a rem 700 I had kicking around..it sits up front taped on behind the issue sight in the pic...she is looking nice if I have to say so myself.....Hard to believe a week ago she was in full military dress.

PICS WITH reciever sight taped on:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/goodstart003.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/goodstart001.jpg

jbc
09-27-2009, 11:00 AM
357max - please keep us posted on this project as I have a 1944 98k with a nice bore that my great grandfather had made a stock for from a square chunk of wood (he built violins as a hobby) but over the years it has been cracked and repaired more than once so I was thinking of removing it (and saving of course) and getting a replasement stock to play with. I would also like to change out the issue sights for a nice ramp front and peep rear so I will be watching this build closley!

Larry Gibson
09-27-2009, 11:09 AM
357 Maximum

A properly mounted Lyman reciever sight on a Mauser action does not interfere with charger (stripper clip) useage. The base of the sight must be flush/even with the rear of the rear receiver ring. It was designed to fit there. A straigh or a straight bent bolt handle is pretty much up "tight" to the sight but a simple heating of the handle and sweeping (bending) it back aleiviates that problem. Of course forging or welding a new swept back bolt handle does also. Since the rifle is already sportered I would consider a cock on opening modification as I prefer that.

Larry Gibson

357maximum
09-27-2009, 11:11 AM
JBC

Making the rear issue sight go away is easy...remove the spring screw as it has a small protrusion that sits into the barrel on some of em...get er hot enough to melt the solder and knock her off. The one in that pic was simply polished to remove the solder mostly and then paste cold blued on warm metal.

The inletting of a "semi inlet" blank is a bit more than I had bargained for, but very do-able. I have done quite a few buttstocks/forearms and modifications to make similar model wood fit another model but this was my first full rough blank. The front ramp and peepers is simply making threaded holes in steel. If you do not feel comfortable with that...pay someone QUALIFIED to do it.

I still have to bed the action and touch the barrel channel with the stack o washers bedding tool and then do a complet finish.....it will be awhile...bow season starts the 1st.

357maximum
09-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Larry

The cock on closing does not seem to bother me, and I have the sight modified now..I had to take just a touch off the forward part of the sight on the side opposite the bolt handle. This base was actually made for an FN mauser and when I bought it I was clueless that there was the SME base...that one was the right one. This sight is a steel lyman and likely pre-dates the glimmer in my daddy's eye. It is going to work and no- one will ever know that I spent 2 hrs making the base "right" if I had not told on myself.

StarMetal
09-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Mikey,

I was just going to suggest working the sights base some, but you beat me too it. I've done that in the past.

I too am not bothered by the cock on closing. Aside maybe from different lock speeds, what advantage is there really to cock on opening?

Joe

357maximum
09-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Joe

I see absolutely no advantage....it bothered me alot before I actually owned the cute little toy. But in actual use it is a non-issue.

It is gonna be mostly a fun range gun that forces me to not use a scope from time to time.......lock time and such is of little concern.

Bret4207
09-27-2009, 06:10 PM
I prefer cock on closing. Never understood Mausers change to cock on opening.

bcp477
09-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Cock on opening.....cock on closing - just two sides of the same coin. No advantage to either, over the other, IMO. Lock time is determined by other factors, namely the mass of the components which move (firing pin and cocking piece). So, it comes down to a matter of preference. I prefer cock on opening, myself..... simply because it is what I'm used to. Also, cock on closing makes closing the bolt handle more diffcult.....but if one is used to it....so what ? I believe that the change to cock on opening was made based on the "logic" that it was more practical to require the greater effort at the beginning of the cycle....rather than the end. In other words, it was believed that troops would have an easier time handling bolt operation without hang-ups if the major effort occured before the action of closing the bolt. However, I don't see a mechanical "issue"..... that seems to me to be only a training issue.

NickSS
09-27-2009, 07:36 PM
I have used both type of actions (e.g. cock on open and closing) and find no real difference between them. I have actually had more trouble with cock on opening when you have a sticky cartridge in the actions. This is something that never happens with a cock on closing action. I see that the lyman peep was finally installed in the proper position. For those of you who do not want to drill holes in your surplus rifles try a Mojo sight. They mount on the original sight base and work well. The rifle is unmodified so you can always reinstall the original rear sight

Larry Gibson
09-27-2009, 11:22 PM
357 maximum

No advantage to either other than the cock on opening decreases the loack time and lessons the "thump' of the striker" disturbing the aim. I am used to cock on opening and prefer it though I do shoot my M91 Mausers a lot. However all my sportered M93, 95 and 96s are converted to cock on opening. Personal choice is all.

Glad you were able to get the sight base squared away for charger use. It really is the quickets reload for a bolt gun. Never understood why Cooper did not include it as requirement for the scout instead of a couple things he did. Looks like you've got a very nice milsurp "sporter" going there. Some call them "bubbaized" but if done well they make very fun and useful rifles such as yours is becoming.

Larry Gibson

bruce drake
09-28-2009, 11:15 AM
OK, Not a Mauser but a very rough 7.7 Jap Arisaka that needed a rear sight.

I put a Lyman 48 on the front receiver ring and it has helped that rifle out from being a rifle without sights to one where you could use.

The only reason it ended up with that setup was that it was an affordable sight and I had it on hand. Some people may object but it shoots fine as a pseudo-scout rifle.

Bruce

pietro
09-30-2009, 03:53 AM
I've installed many Williams, Lyman and Redfield peep sights on Mauser 93/95 & 98 rifles over the years, and have found that most "problems" are caused by adapting the wrong sight/base ILO using the proper model for the rifle - as you've found out with the differently-contoured and sized base for the FN, which is a M98 sight you mounted on a M93/95.

Also, the different manufacturers design/construct their respective sights/bases just that little bit larger/smallet - enough to make it matter in some cases.

I've found the best/easiest fitment through using Wiliams sights.

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/GunAlbum004.jpg

Dutchman
09-30-2009, 06:18 PM
One of the many Swedish Mauser diopters was mounted on the front ring.

m/G Andersson (AGA) dipoter. First one on this page.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/targetsights.html

The Swede is a small ring. Any diopter for the Swedish Mauser will fit any other small ring Mauser. Long as you can find one and afford it.

Dutch

Larry Gibson
09-30-2009, 07:27 PM
OK, Not a Mauser but a very rough 7.7 Jap Arisaka that needed a rear sight.

I put a Lyman 48 on the front receiver ring and it has helped that rifle out from being a rifle without sights to one where you could use.

The only reason it ended up with that setup was that it was an affordable sight and I had it on hand. Some people may object but it shoots fine as a pseudo-scout rifle.

Bruce

Many times "functional" is "beauty" in the eye of the user as Bruce indicates. To some it's "bubba's" work but to others it's making an otherwise non-functional rifle functional. I've no problems with it myself.

Larry Gibson