PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Colored Melt.

500MAGdaddy
09-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Okay, I've been buying my lead for casting from various sources lately and really don't know alot about chemestry and all the different alloys that may or may not be included in these ingots. I recently picked up 50# of ingots that when melted develope a dark blue-ish and yellow film on the top. Almost like those fancy-ass paint jobs some of these new cars have, it seems to turn gold, yellow, purple, black and blue when melted. What's up with this? Is my melt too hot? Is the alloy bad for boolit casting? Any help would be appreciated!

As a side note, this melt does fill my molds nicely ( good sharp edges on my 44 Keith ) and seems pretty hard with the fingernail test after water quenching.

Thanks,
Allen:castmine:

randyrat
09-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Sounds like almost pure soft lead. When i melt sheets of real soft lead the ingots are blue and golden hue to them. I would guess your bullets are nice N shinny. Your bullets are filling out good because of the high heat it takes to melt soft lead, also your mold is up to temp. Could be the temp in your pot is good n high also.
Now that i think about it and re-read your post i doubt it is pure soft lead, just a coloration from heat. Besides pure soft wouldn't harden by water quenching.

ilcop22
09-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Topic already running on this subject:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=63550

sagacious
09-27-2009, 06:02 PM
I recently picked up 50# of ingots that when melted develope a dark blue-ish and yellow film on the top. Almost like those fancy-ass paint jobs some of these new cars have, it seems to turn gold, yellow, purple, black and blue when melted. What's up with this? Is my melt too hot?
Yes, exactly. Your lead is hotter than need be. Try turning down the heat, and fluxing your lead. You should then get the same excellent pouring results without overheating your melt.

Is the alloy bad for boolit casting? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Allen:castmine:
Well, apparently the lead alloy you have pours well, and seems to meet your expectations for hardness-- so I'd say it's quite good for casting. The colors do not indicate any "contamination" or lack of utility for casting. Just that the lead is too hot.

Check out the thread ilcop22 kindly attached to his post above.

Hope this helps, good luck!

500MAGdaddy
09-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah, thanks for the replys and for the link to the thread addressing the same. I was using an LP tank with a burner that had no temp control but now have an RCBS Pro-Melt at my disposal. I hope that being able to regulate the heat will clear this up.