PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 LC Brass

Uncle Grinch
09-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Anyone ever come across any 30-30 Lake City brass?

Was working on a trade with a friend and he mentioned he had some Lake City 30-30 brass. I realize the military used the '94 Winchester at times, but it never crossed my mind about the brass.

Anyone know anything about this? My friend is going to look at the brass again and let me know the date stamps.

mooman76
09-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Some prisons used to use 30-30s. I don't know where they got they'er round from but it's a possibility.

MtGun44
09-27-2009, 02:29 AM
Sounds pretty unlikely, but who knows what weird stuff may have come along.

Bill

TCLouis
09-27-2009, 04:03 AM
I thought the Savage (95 or 99) that was produced for the military was chambered in 30-30.

S.R.Custom
09-27-2009, 09:12 AM
I'd be curious to see the date stamp. The LC armory wasn't founded until 1941.

TAWILDCATT
09-27-2009, 11:11 AM
the gov would buy ammo com.in that cal.the 30/30 was used by guards in ww2.but they dont practice,so would not need much.the prisons in Mass used 38/40.
I think he made a mistake.some where there is a list of ammo the gov uses or used.they would have to break down a line to make that and its not easy.:coffee:

NVcurmudgeon
09-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Prison guards used a variety of rifles. I was told by a very gun savvy retired LEO that his first job was prison guard at San Quentin (CA.) The issue "gun rail" weapon was a Model 94 Winchester in .25/35 loaded with full jacket 117 gr. bullets.

JIMinPHX
09-28-2009, 02:26 AM
LC 30-30 would be a new one on me, but who knows. Anything is possible. Please post a picture of the headstamp if you get one.

There is certainly plenty of other .30 cal brass out there with the LC headstamp on it. Maybe the guy just got his .30's confused.

Then again, the airforce issued .22RF FMJ at times. It's not like there isn't unusual stuff out there.

gnoahhh
09-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Count me among those who would like to see pics of .30/30 brass with LC headstamp.

The Savage company built a full stocked musket style 99,, but they couldn't get the gov't to buy them. .303 Savage caliber. The Montreal Home Guard on the other hand bought 500 muskets in 1915. To my knowledge none made it overseas. They are quite valuable when they turn up these days, and typically the bayonets for them are as expensive as the rifles. (multiple thousands of dollars)

Uncle Grinch
09-28-2009, 10:05 AM
I'll be meeting my friend Friday to see these 30-30 LC brass and will try to get a picture.

kywoodwrkr
09-28-2009, 12:07 PM
I was in a social relaxation facility some years ago and a fellow kept saying he had been issued a 30-30 during WW2.
Everyone was on his case.
I followed up with him and found out he was in armor in North Africa.
Quite candidly to me it made sense for a tank crew(especially in sand) to have a 30-30 size rifle. I know they had Thompsons and etc but do not know when they were issued it and/or the M3 graese gun if ever.
Does anyone elae have indications of them being issued to the North African armor units?
A lot of the prisons used the Remington rifles with 30 Remington if I remember correctly. As well as the 351 WSL.
I bought a large amount of 30 Rem. many years ago from Sarco. It was all FMJ and had creasote around the bullet/neck.
Terrible to pull bullets from.
FWIW

JIMinPHX
09-28-2009, 07:26 PM
I bought a large amount of 30 Rem. many years ago from Sarco. It was all FMJ and had creasote around the bullet/neck.
FWIW

Have you ever actually gone to Sarco in person? There's a lot of grimy old stuff in that place...& I one grumpy, cantankerous old coot behind the counter. That aside, they probably have the most eclectic assortment of milsurp stuff that I have ever seen for sale under one roof. There's a lot of good stuff in there if you know how to pick through it & can identify what you are getting. There are good values to be had in that place & then there is a bunch of other stuff too.

gnoahhh
09-29-2009, 08:43 AM
I met more than one WWII vet who swore he carried a .30/30. One guy even invited me to look at the ".30/30 carbine" he bought because it was identical to the one he carried. Turned out to be an Inland .30 M1 Carbine. He was so proud of it I didn't have the heart to set him straight.

One must remember that to the great unwashed masses in the decades prior to WWII, the .30/30 reigned supreme, and was synonymous with "high power rifle." To most unenlightened folks they were one and the same.

Dale53
09-29-2009, 11:22 AM
It was all FMJ and had creasote around the bullet/neck.
FWIW

Actually, that is NOT creosote. That is "asphaltum compound". It is used in a LOT of military ammo to seal against water infiltration.

FWIW
Dale53

S.R.Custom
09-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Also acts as a glue to prevent set-back upon feeding of the cartridge. You'll find that stuff in just about any taper crimp, mil-spec scenario.

Geraldo
09-29-2009, 03:07 PM
There was an article in American Rifleman a while back about .30-30 Winchesters issued during WWI to guards of lumber camps in the northwest. That's the only reference I've seen to military .30-30s.

BerdanIII
09-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Are we sure it's not "FC", instead?

dominicfortune00
09-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Have you ever actually gone to Sarco in person? There's a lot of grimy old stuff in that place...& I one grumpy, cantankerous old coot behind the counter.

I go to Sarco everytime I have a job in NJ; and they do have a lot of neat stuff there.

I'm in NJ tonight and plan on going there before i go back home.

Sorry to say that the old guy behind the counter passed way earlier this year.

Tom308
09-29-2009, 09:14 PM
I've never heard of it either. I would examine the case very closely and if it does indeed say LC, I would treasure it as a collector item. If real, it may be worth some money. I wouldn't reload it or break down ANY live ammo. The live stuff would be worth more than the empty brass. Good luck with your research.
Tom

hydraulic
09-29-2009, 09:54 PM
On page 392 of the Madis Winchester book are a couple of pictures of Model 94's with U.S. and Ordnance bomb markings. The text says, "The model 1894, while most famous as a sporting arm, saw more serious duty in the hands of guards at defense plants during World War One. It was issued to troops guarding U.S. borders, and some models '94 were in the hands of U. S. doughboys when they landed in France. Models '94 marked in this way are rare--."

Uncle Grinch
09-30-2009, 12:33 AM
You guys have really got my interest up now. I posted this thread as "Gee Whiz" info, but it has stirred quite a bit of interest.

Can't wait til Friday!

Geraldo
09-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Here is an article on the "Spruce Guns" purchased during WWI.

http://www.winchestercollector.org/guns/w-mil.shtml