PDA

View Full Version : Running a Lyman 4500 'dry?'

j23
09-26-2009, 06:44 PM
...are you able to size bullets through the Lyman 4500 'dry'? ...as in no lube? I prefer the Lyman/RCBS style sizer, however wish to tumble lube my bullets in Lee Alox.

...or is there a Alox 'stick' that you do not need a heater with?

Thanks!
Joe

2ndAmendmentNut
09-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Do you really need to size the boolits? The reason most people tumble lube their boolits is so that they do not have to run them through a lube sizer. As for you original question, yes as long as you lube the boolits first. If you run unlubed boolits through a “dry” die you will lead the sizer die.

anachronism
09-26-2009, 07:53 PM
There are a lot of lubes available that don't require heat. None of the "NRA formula" lubes require heat at reasonable temperatures.

Johnch
09-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Yep you can run the sizer dry

But you will need to spray the pre sized boolits with a lube before sizing

I have used Dillon spray case lube or even Pam cooking spray

John

Shiloh
09-26-2009, 08:31 PM
I size my TL boolits. They get run through a LEE sizing kit for consistency. They are very close, except for the oversize boolits from the mold not being closed tightly.

A coffee can full of boolits gets a couple of teaspoonfuls of mineral spirits as a lube.
Works fine. No leading of the die. My dies have been highly polished before hand.

Shiloh

stubshaft
09-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Tumble lube with a light coat - size - tumble lube again.

tackstrp
10-01-2009, 08:37 PM
I read a post more than one where people suggest lube, run thru lee sizer and the lube again.

That seems like more work than the old fashion way using a lyman lube/sizer.

I tried running tumble lube bullets thru my lyman 450, when i had a dark color lube they seem to look good. Those that were grossly out of round, are difficult to size and can be recycled.

Using a light green lube from the Bull Shop. On tumble lube bullets Bull Shop light green is almost transparent. So hard to judge if I am doing a good job or not.

canyon-ghost
10-01-2009, 08:51 PM
You can dry size in a Lyman, for really difficult sizing, I've used a sprinkle of micah with some Rem oil to start them. Alox in a stick isn't uncommon, except that most lubes incorporate beeswax with it. 50/50, the NRA lube, was exactly that. I think it's difficult to find pure alox, it's a commercial lubricant like grease. Lee Liquid is something I know nothing about because I use Lyman molds for the most part.

JIMinPHX
10-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I wipe on a little case lube with my fingers before I do that.

Bret4207
10-02-2009, 08:16 AM
I read a post more than one where people suggest lube, run thru lee sizer and the lube again.

That seems like more work than the old fashion way using a lyman lube/sizer.

I tried running tumble lube bullets thru my lyman 450, when i had a dark color lube they seem to look good. Those that were grossly out of round, are difficult to size and can be recycled.

Using a light green lube from the Bull Shop. On tumble lube bullets Bull Shop light green is almost transparent. So hard to judge if I am doing a good job or not.

In a way, it is. Myself, I don't tumble lube before I size. I just give them a light spray of aerosol lube- WD-40 or even a cooking spray like PAM will work- and then size. Most times the only reason I size is to apply a GC. Unsized boolit, if they will chamber, generally can be adjusted with the seating die so they just kiss the leade and they tend to shoot great. But I am a big believer in sizing as large as the throat will take, not everyone feels comfortable doing that.

The Lee system just plain works and very well at that. The only problem is when you move up into the area where Mule Snot is inadequate for the pressure. At that point you need to move to a different lube and that can be a bear to figure out how to apply. But, I have no doubt one of the crew here will come up with a way to do it. In fact, a while back someone was working on an adaptation of the Lee sizer to use the solid lubes, but I don;t recall any posts stating it was a done deal.

For many people the Lee system is the first choice because it's so inexpensive compared to the more traditional sizers. It may seem like a little more work, but the trade off is acceptable to a lot of people.

jonk
10-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Boy I never understood the idea of some folks saying that Lee sizers are slower and more work. Even if I do the double coat of alox bit, it is a LOT quicker to run them through the sizer because they are self-centering, you don't have to turn the lube knob, etc. I would say that just in terms of getting the bullets sized, I can run 100 through a Lee system in about 3 minutes if not a gas check design, or about 20 for my RCBS Lubri-sizer.

Yes, there is a longer drying time but unless you are planning to load right after sizing, it's not an issue.

I would also take issue with the claim that "I don't use LLA as I use Lyman molds." Yeah? I drive a Ford, does that mean I can't take my car to a Chevy dealer if they have a better price on tires? (Not that I would go to the dealer for tires but I digress..) Sure you can! LLA is not just for tumble lube bullets!

Finally I'd also take issue with the claim that "the reason most people TL their bullets is so they don't have to size them or if they aren't planning to size them." Well... that's one reason yes. But I tumble lube most of my bullets anyhow except for rifle gas check designs destined for over 1900 fps (about where I personally find LLA stops working well, just me mind you) or for those destined for a gun with a barrel longer than 24". Then I want more, better lube. And usually some sizing is done, at least to seat the gas check.

I love Lee push through sizers. I wish someone WOULD come up with a way to modifiy them to use stick lube.

tackstrp
10-02-2009, 09:09 AM
For the 9 mm i see lee sells a tumble lube truncated cone mold. How or where doe one put a taper crim on a tumble lube.

Bret4207
10-02-2009, 03:31 PM
For the 9 mm i see lee sells a tumble lube truncated cone mold. How or where doe one put a taper crim on a tumble lube.

At whatever point the boolit hits your desired C.O.A.L.

Bret4207
10-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Boy I never understood the idea of some folks saying that Lee sizers are slower and more work. Even if I do the double coat of alox bit, it is a LOT quicker to run them through the sizer because they are self-centering, you don't have to turn the lube knob, etc. I would say that just in terms of getting the bullets sized, I can run 100 through a Lee system in about 3 minutes if not a gas check design, or about 20 for my RCBS Lubri-sizer.

Yes, there is a longer drying time but unless you are planning to load right after sizing, it's not an issue.

I would also take issue with the claim that "I don't use LLA as I use Lyman molds." Yeah? I drive a Ford, does that mean I can't take my car to a Chevy dealer if they have a better price on tires? (Not that I would go to the dealer for tires but I digress..) Sure you can! LLA is not just for tumble lube bullets!

Finally I'd also take issue with the claim that "the reason most people TL their bullets is so they don't have to size them or if they aren't planning to size them." Well... that's one reason yes. But I tumble lube most of my bullets anyhow except for rifle gas check designs destined for over 1900 fps (about where I personally find LLA stops working well, just me mind you) or for those destined for a gun with a barrel longer than 24". Then I want more, better lube. And usually some sizing is done, at least to seat the gas check.

I love Lee push through sizers. I wish someone WOULD come up with a way to modifiy them to use stick lube.

Gotta agree. Mule Snot works on whatever type of boolit you want, if it's going to work at all. I've used it on lots of different types and as long as I don't push things too fast it works at least reasonably well. Of course you have to ahve decent fit to start with or no lube in the world will save you.