PDA

View Full Version : Mauser ID help.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
09-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I received a Mauser sporterized variant to give it a once over and sight in for a friend. This rifle is sporting a cut down military stock. It has a single step in the barrel to seat the rear sliding sight and retains the military front sight. It appears to be a large ring. The problem is there are no marks on the forward receiver ring indicating the model or manufacturing country. It has a single stamp of "8MM" on the left side of the barrel and a single inspectors mark on the barrel and receiver on the right side ("z" in side a box). It has matching serial numbers on the hardware. Where do I look for clues as to the make model? Sorry if I'm asking a simple question. I've never had much exposure to Mausers.

Regards,
Everett

Larry Gibson
09-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Couple of pictures would help?

Larry Gibson

sturf
09-26-2009, 12:59 PM
It was stamped along with the year of mfg. on the top of front receiver ring. Probably been polished off.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
09-26-2009, 01:20 PM
I'll try to get a couple of pictures later today or tomorrow. I figured I'd need those:oops:.

Everett

atr
09-26-2009, 03:38 PM
everett,,
I have a old NRA publication which shows pictures of alot of stamping and proof marks for different mauser action/calibers/manuf....
if you can get good pictures perhaps I can make a match

largom
09-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Are there any markings on the left side of receiver by loading port? This would be in front of the bolt stop box.

Hardcast416taylor
09-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Isreal got a bunch of mausers after the war. The first thing they did was to remove the german markings. I have also seen pieces marked 8mm to indicate caliber. They converted other mausers to .308 and marked them 7.62 for caliber.Robert

SPRINGFIELDM141972
09-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Sorry folks. No pictures yet. My camera took a trip down the stairs the hard way. I hope to be up with a camera soon.

Regards,
Everett

bruce drake
09-28-2009, 11:11 AM
a circle z mark may indicate manufactore by the CZ Factory in the former Czechoslovakia

Bruce

Shiloh
09-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Pics are a must!

There are so many Mauser variants, as well as licensure given to many different countries. As stated above, if arsenal markings are missing, it could complicate
positive I.D.

There are folks on this forum who know A LOT about this type of thing.
I'm not one of them

SHiloh

pietro
09-29-2009, 08:05 AM
One of the listed sources for a "Z" code is Waffenwerke Bruenn AG, Povaska Bystrica - but the listing also says that their code is generally only found on ammo and/or components, and so may have zip to do with being a Mauser manufacturer's code.