PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what you call this....

pmeisel
09-26-2009, 09:34 AM
It morphed from a chili recipe, but it couldn't really be chili after all the changes...

Heat some oil and sweat a chopped onion, some peppers (I use bell or anaheim peppers if I have them fresh, and some banana peppers out of a jar if I don't), and some celery.

Add some seasoning while the vegetables are sweating -- I usually use Tony Chachere's, but if I don't have it try a tablespoon of chili powder or cumin at this stage.

Add 2 pounds of corn. I usually use frozen. Stir it steady, just want to get it mixed good with the onions and the seasoning.

Add 3 cans of diced tomatoes. Stir well and bring to boil. You may need to add some liquid (chicken broth, beer, water, whatever).

Add 3 pounds of cooked meat -- I usually use either pulled chicken or chicken breasts, but pulled pork or brisket works well too. Then more seasoning, at least a couple tablespoons of whatever you like (I like the cajun stuff, my wife prefers Carroll Shelby's).

It's a little like chili -- but -- there are no beans (I don't like beans), lots of corn (I love corn), and I have huge tolerance in the choice of meat and seasoning, it's basically whatever I have or whatever was cheap at the store.

If I am making it from scratch I often steam a chicken a few hours before, and let it cool to pull the meat.

09-26-2009, 09:28 PM
I went to make chilli the other day and was supprised to read in my Fanny Farmer that cubed meat (London Broil is what I had in the fridge) was called for instead of what I've usually used (burger). I like the burger better.

pmeisel
09-27-2009, 11:57 AM
I've used just about every kind of meat. I like round steak best, and leftover pulled pork (if there is any leftover). But my wife likes ground chuck best. And I have several friends who prefer chicken, which I like as a change of pace.

stubshaft
09-27-2009, 02:54 PM
REAL Chili does not have beans!

plumber
09-27-2009, 05:47 PM
REAL Chili does not have beans!

You try telling people in New England that!! These people also need to know BBQ and corn bread!! Aside from the good Italian food, I'm in culinary hell!!:redneck:

hammerhead357
09-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Chili doesn't have beans in it. It may be served over beans or cornbread but if it has beans in it, it is called movin on chili. Yes the yanks up north may make it with beans but I think chili was a western or southern dish and was not made with beans.It could be served with them or over them.
I think chili con carne is the proper term for it. This comes out as chili with meat. In most places in Texas it is served with fresh flour or corn tortillas and in some areas corn bread...Wes

pmeisel
09-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Hey, guys, I agree with you, chili don't have beans. I just married some misguided woman whose wrong-headed people told her it should! But she's too good lookin' to get rid of just over that.....

JRW
09-29-2009, 02:15 AM
Indian chile, from the reservation,

Beef, Lots of it.
chiles, ditto,
Cook for three days,
Maza to thicken just a bit.

Now the details,

10-15 lbs, brisket, trim all fat from meat.
chiles, 4 habenero, 4 poblano, 4 serrano, 4 jalapeno, all diced or sliced. remove all seeds.
Brown meat in bg skillet, then transfer to crockpot.
add all chiles, stir.
keep moist, cook three days.
if too thick, add maza.

Serve with fresh tortillas.

Echo
09-29-2009, 01:44 PM
We had some friends way back who were from New England. Their chili included pasta! Carrumba!

pmeisel
09-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Echo, folks from Cincinnati think that chili (with beans?!?!?) should be served over spaghetti noodles! I've had it, it ain't bad, but it ain't chile.

Google "Skyline Chili" (better known phonetically to insiders as "skillinies" or "Gold Star Chili"..

It's heresy, I tell ya...

JRW
09-30-2009, 03:35 AM
Thank goodness I live down here in the desert and can speak of chile with folks whose ancesters started the original chile! I can honestly say I have never heard of some of the dishes that have been described in this thread! They might all taste wonderfully, but I would have never thought to put some of these combinations together!

I guess its all whot you were brought up with!

Adios amigos!
Jim.

NoDakJak
09-30-2009, 05:26 AM
I consider Chili to be a basic food. It can be used with a multitude of other foods. I particularily like it with Pinto beans. I like it over rice. It is great with crackers. For a particular treat I like it poured over Fritos brand corn chips. I have never tried it over cornbread but you can bet that it is on the list. And I certainly don't mean that Jiffy brand stuff either. I consider that to be more akin to cake and use it accordingly.
For a quick and dirty meal I love chili dogs or Chili burgers. See what I mean? It is a very flexible basic food. Incinentialy, the very best chili that I have ever eaten was in a tiny four stool cafe that was hidden in the rear of a shabby old gas station in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. The year was 1956 and the cafe was run by wetbacks for wetbacks that worked the sugar beet and potato fields. It was hot enough to be used as hair remover but damn it was good! Thirty five cents for a huge bowl or seventy five cents for it and a huge slice of pie. Blueberry was my favorite! Yowza!! Neil

Changeling
12-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Guys you do know that "London Broil" is just top round steak cut thick don't you.

I cracks me up to see round steak for 2.50 a lb and right near it London Broil for 4.?? a lb, LOL.