PDA

View Full Version : Powder charge for my 8mm Mauser

A-Rok
09-25-2009, 10:03 PM
So, the bullet is Lee's 175 grainer with a gas check. I looked on handloads.com's list of loads for the 8mm Mauser, and it said that 25 grains of IMR 4198 would do the trick, and I had half a pound laying around so I thought I'd try it. I'm just wary of throwing such a light charge of fast-burning powder in such a big case, and thought I'd get your guys oppinion before I blow my head off. Is a load like this unheard of?

Thanks!

largom
09-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Lyman 49th load book lists 27 to 35 gr. IMR 4198 for the 165 gr. cast boolit .
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists 25 gr. IMR 4198 as a starting load for a 181 gr. cast boolit. With this info. I would think your load a safe place to start.

Larry

RayinNH
09-25-2009, 10:47 PM
A-Rok, a quick glance at Lyman Cast Bullet Manual 3rd Ed. gives loads for #323366, a 181 grain boolit, #2 alloy for IMR-4198 as follows: 25gr start for 1802 fps., 31 grs. max. for 2151 fps. Your not in danger...Ray

izzyjoe
09-25-2009, 10:55 PM
i'd say that sound high, for a lead boolit. my old speer man. list 26gr. max (as a red. load for a j*. ) but you migth try 23gr. as a start load.-per man. but i4895 28gr with that boolit seems to work for me. just my 2$:Fire:

A-Rok
09-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Much appreciated fellas. Better safe than sorry, right?
Take care!

Buckshot
09-25-2009, 11:17 PM
...............Try 16.0grs of 2400, and also 10.0 grs of Unique. My favorite load in my Springfield is the Lyman 311284 over 23.0 grs of H4198. Good for 1650 fps. Any of these loads will work well in your 8x57.

...............Buckshot

Larry Gibson
09-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Concur with izzy on the 28 gr 4895 under a 175-210 gr cast bullet in the *MM, especially with a 1/2 gr dacron filler. Below is a picture of a two 10 shot group test of GCs with the GB cast bullet in my Yugo M47. Now the cases for this test were 1939 Turk surplus berdan primed cases that were given to me. The test was a quick one to see if there would be much difference between my home made GCs and Hornady's. Both 10 shot strings were from a clean barrel and include the foulers. The bullets also were cast from a 6 cavity mould and only given a quick once over for viseable defects. Shows that that load is pretty accurate from the get go without much "load development" and so it has proven in numerous 8mms with 175 - 210 gr cast bullets.

As to the 4198 load. I'd suggest giving it a try also but would start at 23 gr and work up in 1 gr increments until accuracy went south. I would also use the 1/2 gr dacron filler (perhaps a 3/4 gr if 1/2 did not "fill" the space between the powder and bullet.

Larry Gibson

A-Rok
09-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Oh I didn't consider using the filler! I've heard about it being used, but don't know much about it. What can you guys tell me about it? I'll jump on Google right after I hit enter here, but I'd rather have some first hand info, I'm sure you guys understand.

Thanks again for all the responses, I should've made this my first stop when researching an 8x57 load.

sav300
09-26-2009, 01:16 AM
A-Rok,13gns reddot and the lee 175gn 8mm works well in my yugo,

Bret4207
09-26-2009, 07:39 AM
13.0 Red Dot is a great pickup load in any rifle of at least 35 Rem case capacity size. It works great in my Yugo 8mm with the Karibiner and many of my other rifles.

bcp477
09-26-2009, 10:21 AM
The filler will stabilise the load and ensure more consistent combustion. It consists of a tuft of dacron fibrefill or cotton fibrefill, loosely pushed into the case, to take up the empty space between the base of the bullet and the powder column. Don't pack it in - just loosely push it in, with something like a pencil. The exact amount does NOT need to be weighed....you can simply "eyeball it". 1 / 2 grain.....3 / 4 grain..... whatever will loosely fill the empty space. That's all there is to it. Whether you use dacron or cotton is up to you. Some swear by dacron, but I've never been able to detect a difference in use. I use cotton simply because 1) it's biodegradable and 2) it smells better with some powders, when fired. By the way, the filler doesn't combust (only slight scorching)..... it will be ejected from the barrel and fly downrange a few yards to as much as 50 feet, depending on the load.

zomby woof
09-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I've used 18 grains of 2400 with that bullet and have had good results.

StarMetal
09-26-2009, 03:15 PM
The filler will stabilise the load and ensure more consistent combustion. It consists of a tuft of dacron fibrefill or cotton fibrefill, loosely pushed into the case, to take up the empty space between the base of the bullet and the powder column. Don't pack it in - just loosely push it in, with something like a pencil. The exact amount does NOT need to be weighed....you can simply "eyeball it". 1 / 2 grain.....3 / 4 grain..... whatever will loosely fill the empty space. That's all there is to it. Whether you use dacron or cotton is up to you. Some swear by dacron, but I've never been able to detect a difference in use. I use cotton simply because 1) it's biodegradable and 2) it smells better with some powders, when fired. By the way, the filler doesn't combust (only slight scorching)..... it will be ejected from the barrel and fly downrange a few yards to as much as 50 feet, depending on the load.

I know you won't like this, but I'd stay away from cotton. The thing I don't like about it is it can compact and it's more susceptible to moisture. Also it's not as springy as Dacron and that helps guarantee the filler fills the empty space entirely. Rarely do you find Dacron on the ground in front of the muzzle. It usually disintegrates or is entirely combusted. BruceB is the only member I know of that has found the Dacron after firing. Just the fact you're finding the cotton tells me I wouldn't want to use it nor see a beginner use it. No flame on you, as you seem to get results with it.

Joe

Ricochet
09-26-2009, 03:33 PM
I find the Dacron blowing around like black thistledown.

StarMetal
09-26-2009, 03:43 PM
I find the Dacron blowing around like black thistledown.

John,

Yes I get that or sometimes like a small smoke cloud. John have you had that Commie sniper out with cast bullets?

Joe

GrizzLeeBear
09-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks again for all the responses, I should've made this my first stop when researching an 8x57 load.

You got that right, use the search function here. There is 1000 times more knowledge about cast boolits right here than on the whole rest of the internet.

As the others have stated, your load looks fine safety wise. However, it may not be the most accurate due to some leading, powder position sensitivity, etc. But on the other hand it may shoot well in YOUR rifle. Just be ready to try some other loads and powders.

I shoot 19 gr. of 2400 in my 8x57 with the same boolit. I started at 16 grains, but got a fair amount of soot on the cases, due to low pressure. Worked up one grain at a time up to 21 gr. At 18 gr. the sooty necks went away. Accuracy was very good with 18 and 19 gr. Accuracy was still good at 20 and 21 gr. but was better at 18 and 19. The 19 gr. load shoots point of aim at 200 yds (which is what we shoot CMP vintage rifle matches at) with a 600 yd. sight setting, so thats what load I settled on. It will easily hold the 10 ring on the SR-1 target.

bcp477
09-26-2009, 05:37 PM
No problem, StarMetal. Your comments about cotton are certainly correct....but I've never had any problems with it.....so I'd have to call this bit of a moot point. I've used both dacron and cotton extensively and have never found that either one combusts (other than a bit of scorching). The dacron usually disintegrates into individual fibres (and thus, all but "disappears")....the cotton less so.....but neither ever "combusts entirely". No matter, however. I don't really get your warning to stay away from cotton, though. I've certainly used it in the field, as well as at the range..... and the moisture issue is not a practical problem (perhaps in a tropical climate it might be, however). Neither is the compression issue, at least that I've ever seen. However, you are right to bring these things up, as everyone should have full information about these things. I prefer not to inject any more non-degradable trash into the environment, if I can help it, so I'll continue to use cotton, myself (unless or until it presents a problem, that is).

izzyjoe
09-26-2009, 06:38 PM
i just use dacron filler cause its cheap,but thats just me. and besides a little on the ground aint gona matter,unless you shoot a ba-zillion rounds. but try it both ways cause i have couple k98' that (shoot smaller groups without it). but whole fun part is just tryin' something. beats doin' nothin', bad day at the range is far better than a good day at work. :smile:

bcp477
09-26-2009, 07:16 PM
" and besides a little on the ground aint gona matter,unless you shoot a ba-zillion rounds. "

No, what you and I produce isn't much of a problem, in and of itself.....but multiplied by a ba-zillion people, it is. I just don't want to add to the problem.....any more than I have to. But, that's just me.

Ricochet
09-27-2009, 05:18 AM
John,

Yes I get that or sometimes like a small smoke cloud. John have you had that Commie sniper out with cast bullets?

Joe
It won't feed them. They jam against the rear edge of the chamber wall and the noses are deeply cut, mashed and generally deformed.

Papa smurf
09-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Ha A-Rok ,been working up loads in my Turk and my sons Yugo and K98 for the past year. Started at 20.5 gr IMR4198 and 12.0 gr Unique using the Lee 175 gr with Lee's liquid alox lube and a gas check. Worked up a half gr at a time. All three like 25.0 gr IMR4198 but as of yesterday the Turk likes 27.5 of IMR 4198 better. Only the Yugo did well with Unique at 14.5 grs. and both it and the Turk did well WITHOUT a gas check and 7.5 Unique at 50 yds. Going to try H4198 next and see if anything changes.
Good Shooting----------------------------Papa Smurf

SwedeNelson
09-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Had good luck with a Saeco #081 cast about 198Gr.
10Gr. to 12Gr. of Unique (Russian surplus)
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/swedenelson/mod48001.jpg
Fun load and shoots good.
Swede Nelson