PDA

View Full Version : TC Scout

TCLouis
09-25-2009, 06:29 PM
This is one pistol that I have wanted for years and have never seen one.

I have wanted one for years and have never seen one.

Today a coworker brought me his (recent purchase) 50 Cal Scout to look at. I asked if he needed some BP to shoot it.

He asked me to bring it home and shoot it because he was short on time for the near future.

Well Duh!

So now I need info, I have RBs (low power plinking), 250 and 320 REALs and 370 Lyman Maxiball.

Any suggestions, locations for info appreciated.

Since this was posted I have done what I do with anything I am gong to shoot. I took took it completely apart and cleaned it thoroughly. He had said something about rust, but that did not seem to be an issue as the bluing was in excellent shape. I found that he had never found the secret to taking it completely apart because the trigger mechanism was in need of cleaning. 30-40 minutes on the barrel and i have revealed pitting . . . in of all places the muzzle. Not likely to be a cast shooter and only time will tell if will digest PRBs to plink and sabots if he wants me to try it for hunting loads. So if I order sabots trough the mail will they come in a plain brown wrapper so no one will know what I have bought?

Maven
09-25-2009, 07:12 PM
TCL, Go to the T/C website and scroll down to Manuals (lower left side of the page). Go to "T/C Scout" and you'll find everything you want to know (and more) about the rifle.

mooman76
09-25-2009, 07:14 PM
You can do a search here, there has been some discusion here on this rifle. They don't tend to shoot as well as other BP guns but with some work they should shoot pretty good. If memory serves me they had shallower rifling like .006 and about a 1-32 twist which would lead to the not shooting as well but with that they should shot sabots ok or even minies. I was going to get one years ago until I read the artical on them in a gun mag. I liked the looks of them (reminded me of a lever action) and if found one today at a good price would probably pick it up today.

twotoescharlie
09-25-2009, 07:31 PM
very fast twist, not good for round balls. shot mine this past Tuesday, was shooting 250 grain REALs behind 50,60, 70 grains of fffg black, was shooting 2 inch groups at 50 yards. tried pyro pellets, and the fake GOEX black powder , it didnt like either one of those, shot much better with real black powder.
first time out with this rifle, didn't spend much time with it, not a big fan of inlines.
It was OK for what I gave for it. will spend more time with it later, it has potential.want to try the heavy REALs and some maxiballs.

TTC

jim4065
09-25-2009, 08:22 PM
I believe the Scout has the same twist as my White Mt Carbine - either 1 in 20 or 1 in 22 (can't remember). At any rate, try the 370 Maxi-Ball pushed by 80 to 100 grains of 2F. Mine needs speed for stability because the barrel is as short as the Scout. Good shooters once you get the speed up.

Taylor
09-26-2009, 06:50 AM
1-28 twist--80 grains pyro,250 real with over powder wad.Or,80 grains with Lee .44 cal. round nose sized.430 with harvester sabot. The best I could ever get was with these loads,and no more than 50 yards at that.I worked with my Scout for 3 years and these were the best loads I could find,and then only shot minute of deer at 50 yards,which is OK by me.It will put meat on the table.

These loads are for the carbine!! I missed the part about it being a pistol----sorry!

fixit
09-28-2009, 12:22 PM
i have a scout pistol in 54 cal, and believe it or not, these pistols were designed to shoot the same charges as the carbines! my 54 is a beast!!! according to the manual sitting in front of me, the max charge for the 50 cal pistol is 100 grs. of ffg behind the rb or the maxi. seeing as how the sabots hadn't really caught on yet before the factory burned down, they didn't publish any data forthem, but 100 should be about right for them , too! by the way, if anyone's interested, the 54 max charge is 120 behind a 430 maxi! like i said, it's a beast!

scb
09-28-2009, 06:04 PM
FWIW my 54 cal. Scout likes 30gr FF with a denim patched RB. Good plinking load.

TCLouis
09-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Did TC make any barrels after the fire?
With the pitting right at the muzzle, accuracy may well be gone.
I will test it, then talk to the owner about new crown , the further testing.

WildShot
09-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Twist rate is 1:20 for the 50 Scout pistol. This is a real black powder shooter. Ignition is iffy with subs. My best loads were 80 gr FFg under the 460 gr Maxi-Hunter. Haven’t seen any of those in years. 85 grain charge for the 350 Maxi-hunter works almost as good. I did have a plinking load using RB but my notes don’t show a powder charge, may not have gotten the accuracy that I expected so I didn’t record it. My biggest complaint with this gun is the vented nipple arrangement. This makes it difficult to remove the spent cap. T/C made a special tool for this. Real PIA if you didn’t have one. Haven’t shot mine in a long time, might have to let it get some exercise.