PDA

View Full Version : 303 Brit question.

goste
09-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Quick question....

Iv'e got a couple .303s, I want to paper patch for.. A No.1 MK.3, which is a five(I think) groove barrel. and a No4 mk .1, Savage, with a 2 groove. Will I have any trouble shooting paper patch, out of the two groove? Or will I notice a Diff.?

1874Sharps
09-25-2009, 06:10 PM
I have only one 303 Brit, a No.1 MK.3, so I cannot speak specifically to your question. However I can say that I have several 30-06 rifles, one of which is a two-groove barrel and all shoot paper patch bullets quite well. I would guess you will have success in both rifles. I will bet 303Guy could tell you, as he has done much experimentation in your caliber with paper patch.

docone31
09-25-2009, 07:37 PM
No. You will not have any issues with paper patch. You will however notice an increase in accuracy.
I have found the .303 British to be a real sweetheart to wrap for.
I found my patches performed real well at .314.

303Guy
09-25-2009, 09:22 PM
goste

My particular No4 has a rust damaged bore but apart from that it is in perfect condition.:wink: It did not like plain cast and trials with paper patching have not been too successful - yet! Although the bore is 'whole' the rust pists, small as they are could be acting like a saw blade and wearing into the driving face of the rifling. However, that is not the main problem with two-grooves. It's the swaging of the boolit to bore diameter that can upset the integrity of the base. I have found that a gas check design boolit used without the gas check has minimal or no boolit heel distortion. The downside is that there is that much less driving area for the rifling to engage the boolit. I have found that tracing paper (100% cotton, I think), holds the rifling better but might have an issue coming off the boolit at the muzzle. I have not tried harder alloy - I want an expanding boolit for hunting.

My suggestion is to try whatever it takes to get your two-groove to work.

As docone31 suggests, the 303 Brit is an ideal candidate for paper patching. The throat is tapered and long and larger than groove - all good!

goste
09-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks guys.

I'll give it a try..I traded for a lee 170gr, that drops right at .309, I'm going to try this in my enfields. How important is sizing. after wrapping? I don't have any sizers yet. I guess I've been lucky that all my Lee moulds pretty much drop right on..
I plan to use this boolit, for Whitetail this season. Can anyone recomend a starting load using varget, or imr3031. I have these in stock..
Thanks

303Guy
09-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Use normal load data, that is, treat patched boolits like you would J-words.

My understanding is that enough pressure is required in the bore to 'bump' the boolit tightly against the patch in the bore to ensure the patch comes of in small pieces or at least in shreads, at the muzzle. Accuracy improves with increase in velocity/pressure. This may be alloy dependandant, meaning a harder alloy needs more pressure than a softer one. I'm still learning myself (now I'm trying patching for a 22 Hornet - that's challanging!)