PDA

View Full Version : Old star sizer looks different than new one a little?

AJ Peacock
09-25-2009, 04:15 PM
A friend of mine has an old blue Star lube-sizer. It looks just like the one on the magma site, except it has a small machine screw in the left side, where the sizing die fits. I was wondering what that is for, as the new one on the website does not have that fitting/screw. I've marked the following picture with a red circle where his has the fitting.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/AJPeacock_photos/random-forum-stuff/star-lube-sizer.jpg

Thanks,
AJ

45nut
09-25-2009, 04:18 PM
sizing die retaining screw.. mine has one also.

AJ Peacock
09-25-2009, 06:05 PM
sizing die retaining screw.. mine has one also.

That's what I figured. Wanted to make sure it was normal, I'm trying to trade him out of the old sizer, it looks complete except the handle is missing. It's been sitting so long with old lube in it that I'd need to 'warm' it to clean it up.

thanks,
AJ

ReloaderFred
09-25-2009, 09:49 PM
All four of mine have the set screw for holding the die in place. Get the shovel handle from Magma, if you're able to trade your friend out of his Star.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Dale53
09-26-2009, 12:00 AM
It will be easy to clean up the old Star. Just use a hair dryer or a heat gun, hold the sizer over a container and melt the lube out (after removing the die body and the lube piston. It WILL get hot so be sure to use gloves so you don't burn yourself.

Dale53

runfiverun
09-26-2009, 01:29 AM
the older ones took a larger diameter shaft then the new ones do.
i made a little bushing for the shovel handle.