PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket SKS peep

Bret4207
09-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Okay guys, whats the name of the company that makes the nice aftermarket SKS peep? Looks kinda like a Garand sight IIRC. Major brain fart, can't remember it! It's not Micro and it's not Mojo.

Gunfixer
09-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Williams makes the one that replaces the rear sight blade

missionary5155
09-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Good afternoon
I made a peep for my Chicom that is described below.
For my Yugo I installed a Willaiams made for a flat sided firearm. The mounting bracket extends towards the rear horizontally. Worked out real nice. Cost me $5 as it was with a bunch of other Willaims sights I bought as a bunch some years ago.
The one I made on the Chicom I used a piece of angle iron 1.5 inch X 1/2 in 2 inches long. I removed most the 1.5 side leaving a 1/2 inch part that is my horizontal that crosses over the rear cover of the receiver. the 1/2 part of the angled steel I left 2" long and it extends down the side of the left receiver attaching with 2 1/4 -20 stove bolts into the lower receiver. I had to notch the wood at the point so the angle entered the wood. I slotted where the 2 bolts attach for some elevation. The horizontal part is sloted about center receiver to have windage using a Williams peep with a home made threaded piece the peep screws into to tighten. It is not as nice as a Williams but has been mounted for 10 years and is sure better than what was there origonally.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Looks kinda like a Garand sight.

What you want are Tech Sights. Have one on my SKS and they are awesome!

pietro
09-24-2009, 08:56 PM
This is the Williams drop-in

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_962000018_1.jpg

This looks like the Tech sight

http://www.tech-sights.com/TS200.gif

Bret4207
09-24-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH SIGHT!!!!! Thank you guys!

Junior1942
09-25-2009, 08:08 AM
I had a hard time deciding between the Tech sight or a Williams 5D for my SKS. I went with 5D because of its ghost ring. If you'll notice, the Tech sight peep has a large ring area around the aperture. Look at pietro's photo of the Tech sight. The ring area hides a large part of the target. That isn't good if the target is big, mean, hairy, mad and coming after you.

PS: the Williams "drop in" didn't work well at all on my Yugo SKS. The front sight didn't fit, and the design of the rear sight is just asking for a vine to catch the aperture and flip the sight up and off the rifle.

StarMetal
09-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Junior,

Just guessing...the Williams front sight didn't fit probably because the Yugo's are different then the Chinese and Russian SKS's. You could drill that Tech sight. I like the idea of the Tech sight because it puts the sight back where it belongs.

Joe

Shooter6br
09-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Have Mil Tech on my Cinese SKS Check out their web site

Larry Gibson
09-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Lyman also makes the 66SKS receiver sight for the SKS. It requires D&Ting of the receiver ( holes). It is my choise for an aperture rear sight on the SKS because you can still disassemble the rifle for cleaning without removing the sight base. It also is sturdy and has reliable adjustments with the slide being easily moved for different ranges very quickly.

Larry Gibson

StarMetal
09-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Lyman also makes the 66SKS receiver sight for the SKS. It requires D&Ting of the receiver ( holes). It is my choise for an aperture rear sight on the SKS because you can still disassemble the rifle for cleaning without removing the sight base. It also is sturdy and has reliable adjustments with the slide being easily moved for different ranges very quickly.

Larry Gibson

Well, if I'm having to D&T, which I have, I'd mount a scope. I love mine with the dedicated scope mount. That means it's attached to the receiver, not the loose dust cover, and I can still use the irons, and also disassemble the rifle.

Joe

Bret4207
09-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Junior,

Just guessing...the Williams front sight didn't fit probably because the Yugo's are different then the Chinese and Russian SKS's. You could drill that Tech sight. I like the idea of the Tech sight because it puts the sight back where it belongs.

Joe

Holy crap Joe! What's up with you and me agreeing on stuff lately? Must be global cooling has struck Hades.....