PDA

View Full Version : Safe Storage of Molds

robertbank
04-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Up here we have high humidity. Up until know I have been storing my iron molds covered in oil which means everyting I go to use them I have to degrease them. Will storing the molds with the last bullet cast in them prevent internal rust? Thoughts on the best way to store them? If I leave them untouched they will rust in this climate.

Take Care

454PB
04-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Where I live the humidity is low and I can store mine without oil. In your case, I don't think it is a good idea, you should take steps to avoid nearly instant rusting on steel moulds. You might get away with wrapping them in an oily rag, or better yet store them in a moisture proof ammo can containing some desiccant, which must be frequently dried or replaced. If you have a gun safe with a dehumidifier, that would also protect them. Oiling is the simplest solution, then degrease before use. I use Gun Scrubber as a degreaser, but brake cleaner works as well. I try to use it outdoors or with very good ventilation.

Many of my moulds are aluminum, and in that case all you have to protect is the sprue cutter.

475/480
04-19-2006, 02:32 PM
I use VPI paper,I have a roll of it 4'x200',I can send you some I just dont know about shipping costs.

Sean

montana_charlie
04-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Many of my moulds are aluminum, and in that case all you have to protect is the sprue cutter.
Mine too are aluminum.
I lightly coat the sprue plate (and the entire outside of the mould) with anti-seize compound (which is a lubricant) and never remove it...just add to it occasionally.
Lead never adheres to any surface, the pivot screws & tension washers don't wear out, the mould top never shows signs of galling...and no rust.

I also put it on the jaws and hinge pin of my handles.

It will take temperatures up to 1800º.
CM