PDA

View Full Version : A Question? or 2

JDL
04-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Today, I was shooting my Marlin 336A for the internet match. I had shot a couple of ho-hum loads and, in desperation, started a group using my hunting loads. Shot the only 5 I had loaded and noticed they snuggled into a nice group, so I loaded up another 5 and shot them. One dad-burn flier (I'm sure it couldn't have been the jerk behind the trigger) spoiled an otherwise good group!
When I finished I looked at the muzzle and it looked wet, as if I was shooting black powder and breathing throught the bore. Is this an indication I am over-lubbing the boolit? Said boolit is the RCBS 180-30-FN and the grease grooves (but not the crimp groove) were lubbed with FWFL. There is usually a gray, dry look at the muzzle when using other boolits. Thanks, JDL

Bass Ackward
04-20-2005, 07:08 PM
When I finished I looked at the muzzle and it looked wet, as if I was shooting black powder and breathing throught the bore. Is this an indication I am over-lubbing the boolit? Thanks, JDL

JD,

In short, yes. I was hesitant to tell you so bluntly, but you seem like you can handle it. :)

If you want to know for sure, run a reasonably lose patch through after every third shot. If you get no fliers or leading, then take the time to experiment with lube quantity or quality. But if nothing improves by patching, just shoot it and curse the fliers.

MT Gianni
04-21-2005, 12:50 AM
With my RCBS 180 fn I never lube all the grooves. 2 is plenty with a good lube 3 with a fair one. Gianni.