PDA

View Full Version : My .40's fit test guage before loading, but not after

ghh3rd
09-24-2009, 01:25 AM
I had a problem with my first batch of .40 cal. jamming in the Wolf barrel in my Glock. Since then, I learned how to "de-Glock" my cases by passing them entirely through the sizing die. I also purchased a Case Guage to test them to ensure that they are within spec.

I find that although the cases now fit smoothly into the Case Guage, once I flare them (just enough to aid in inserting the boolit) many fail the Case Guage test. After they are loaded, even more fail the Case Guage test.

I guess that I'm puzzled about how to load my .40's while keeping them within spec. I only loaded a few, and stopped when I realized that I was having a problem, so I can't say if they actually jam in the gun.

By the way, the boolits are cast 100% from clip-on wheel weights. I don't own a micrometer, but my .40 boolits are measuring .403 according to my calipers.

Any thoughts appreciated...

Randy

helg
09-24-2009, 01:48 AM
What is neck diameter that you crimp to? 40 caliber neck can not be larger than 10.74mm or .423" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.40_S&W).

Do you size your bullets? Not all bullets are perfect cylinders as cast. Check this. Then slug your bore, and size your bullets .001" larger.

dudel
09-24-2009, 04:41 AM
When I had that problem on 9mm, I got a Lee Carbide factory crimp die.
http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1253781504.1319=/html/catalog/dies-crimp.html

Solved my problem. Some worry about post sizing; but I've found several commercial machines that do the post sizing step.

HTH

four eyes
09-24-2009, 06:45 AM
rcbs makes a push die for this problem,try one and your problem will go away. four eyes

jameslovesjammie
09-24-2009, 01:18 PM
If your loads pass through the gauge before you flare the case and not after, it doesn't sound like you are crimping the case enough after seating the boolit. You didn't mention what type of press you are reloading on, but if it is a progressive or turret, you should really get a Lee factory crimp die and seat the boolit in one stage and crimp it in another.

You can also use the FCD to completely fix your glocked brass like this video demonstrates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-PszuLwEu8

ghh3rd
09-24-2009, 01:23 PM
You can also use the FCD to completely fix your glocked brass like this video demonstrates:

Thanks - that's a good video... had watched it a while back and learned how to 'de-Glock' my brass. As far a crimping goes, I believe that's my weakest link in my reloading. I need to get a better understanding about crimping, but for now, I'll experiment with crimping my .40's and post my results.

Thanks,

Randy

fredj338
09-24-2009, 02:40 PM
You need to size your bullets. In a tight chamber, 0.403" is going to cause problems & running them through a LFCD is going to swage them down & accuracy will be poor along w. increased leading. Size to 0.401" & use a slight taper crimp. This should allow perfect chambering. It works for me in a 4006 & USP.

mike in co
09-24-2009, 03:29 PM
first you should crimp/debell( is a better term) in a seperate step.
for expanding the case consider a lyman m die in place of any "belling/flaring" die.
how bif is the loaded case at the mouth of the case with your calipers....
very little actual crimp is actually need.......but if your cases are varing in length , this you will likely have issues.

so start with sized boolits( most likely a 401), start with a small lot of brass that is all the same length,(same lenght equals same bell/same crimp)

the push thru die from lymann is a case sizing die...not an ammo die...but maybe....

mike in co

yondering
09-24-2009, 07:13 PM
You need to take a few critical steps, as others have pointed out. To sum it up:

#1) Buy a micrometer or dial caliper. You NEED one of these for loading cast boolits. Otherwise you may as well reload in the dark.

#2) Size your boolits to .401" or .402". The wolf barrel should have a .400" groove dia, so size to .401".

#3) Do NOT use the Lee FCD. It's garbage, and only a bandaid fix. Cases sized correctly and loaded with boolits sized and seated correctly, with the case mouth flare removed, will fit in your chamber. Do not use excessive crimp, and do not size the case once the boolit is loaded into it. This is what the Lee FCD does, and it is wrong.

helg
09-24-2009, 07:26 PM
#3) Do NOT use the Lee FCD. It's garbage, and only a bandaid fix. Cases sized correctly and loaded with boolits sized and seated correctly, with the case mouth flare removed, will fit in your chamber. Do not use excessive crimp, and do not size the case once the boolit is loaded into it. This is what the Lee FCD does, and it is wrong. I never heard that adding Lee FCD may cause feeding problems that were reported by the OP. I do not understand how applying crimp may increase diameter of a round.

My experience is opposite: all FTFs disappeared once I added Lee FCD to the loading process.

yondering
09-24-2009, 07:47 PM
helg, I didn't say the Lee FCD increases the diameter of the round. I put that one in there because other posters were saying to use it. It will make the round fit in the chamber most likely, but it does it the wrong way. That's why I said it's a bandaid fix.

It sizes down the brass and boolit together, very likely sizing the boolit unevenly. The brass springs back more than the boolit, so you lose some neck tension (this will vary between rounds depending on brass thickness and # of times used). Combine inconsistent neck tension, with unevenly sized boolits, of varying diameter (different brass thicknesses), and you get poor accuracy and probably leading.

Instead, size the boolits right before loading, size the brass to correct dimensions, seat the boolits straight, and apply just enough crimp to remove the bell in the case mouth. This will give you good consistent ammo that works every time.