PDA

View Full Version : Ruger’s LCR vs. LCP

2ndAmendmentNut
09-24-2009, 12:20 AM
I am thinking about getting another gun for CC. This time however I would like to get a gun small enough and light enough, so that I shall never find myself making excuses to be unarmed. I have a nice collection of full size autos and revolvers which I carry when my attire permits it. But seeing as I live in a relatively warm climate I find myself not carrying every day. I have shot nether the LCP nor the LCR, but I have shot several Kel-Tech 380s and a couple of S&W j-frames, I liked both but preferred the revolvers. I personally am a fan of revolvers, but the lower cost and higher capacity of the LCP is tempting. Then again a 38+P is a lot better power wise then a 380. The 380 is slimmer then a 38. As you all can see I am sort of in a rut and keep flip-flopping. Help on deciding will be most appreciated. Maybe I just need to get both.

Mallard57
09-24-2009, 01:09 AM
I've got the LCP and it's a nice little pistol, very accurate for what it is. Trigger pull and sights leave a little bit to be desired as expected. It is very easy to conceal. I like it but, I would like to finger the LCR. I do like revolvers.
I'd say get both.
Jeff

Jeff Davis
09-24-2009, 01:13 AM
How hard would it be to secure a sufficient supply of 380 acp? It is hard to come by here in AR unless you want to pay scalper's prices (last gun show I went to the WM 100 ct FMJ was $75 and JHP loads were non-existantant). I am concerned of the lack of available components to make up cheap training loads with which to practice with the gun.
Another factor for me is the size of my hands. An LCP disappeares from view in my mitt, but it is hard to get more than 2 fingers around the grip. I have no problems with the LCR's grip and I believe I would have more control of it in recoil.
Just MHO, I would pick the LCR.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-24-2009, 09:09 AM
How hard would it be to secure a sufficient supply of 380 acp? It is hard to come by here in AR unless you want to pay scalper's prices (last gun show I went to the WM 100 ct FMJ was $75 and JHP loads were non-existantant). I am concerned of the lack of available components to make up cheap training loads with which to practice with the gun.

You are right about components for the 380, but they are not impossible to get here in TX.

Dale53
09-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I use an S&W 642 for daily carry. I normally carry in the pocket with a Mika pocket holster. I have been pleased with the set up. I can carry in all kinds of weather without a problem.

Dale53

dsmjon
09-24-2009, 10:39 AM
I've got a Keltec PF9, thought it was just the ticket for IWB carry. Light, easy to conceal. Then I got the P32 and it makes the PF9 seem like a giant! Feels like it disappears while carrying IWB. I usually place it in the front of my waistband, about 1/2 way b/w the button and right pocket. Hardly even noticeable while sitting down (I just hope it never goes off "on it's ownt" down there). Folks would be calling me Mr Bobbit!

StarMetal
09-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Sig just fielded a new 380 that is very much like the old Colt Mustang.

Joe