PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Turret Slop - Problem?

dhaid-06
09-23-2009, 11:05 PM
I just got a new Lee Classic Cast Turret press today. I mainly reload for rifles (.30-06, 7.5x55,.303 brit, 8mm, etc) but I also reload quite a bit of 45 ACP so I went with the turret press.

There is some slight movement in the turret (side to side and up and down). But it doesn't seem like more than was intended with the design.

My question is will this movement contribute to any loss of accuracy. I kinda don't think that it will, as the turret will always get pushed up the same everytime. the side to side is what bothers me, but it is so slight, that I would imagine there is at lease that much play in the shell holder. - This concern is mainly for the rifles cartridges.

I am used to using a single stage press with zero bells and whistles, so just a turret press has go me nervous about "extra moving parts".

I am impressed with how quick I was able to size and flare 50 .45 ACP cases.

Thanks,

geargnasher
09-23-2009, 11:54 PM
I'll let you know how it goes with my classic turret when it gets here this week, I thought I was going to have to replace my RCBS press so I got the cheapo, wanted to try the turret anyway for same reasons as you but didn't want to blow $300-500 on a good one before deciding if I liked it. I LOVE Lee dies for everyday stuff, can't beat the price, plus I can buy and extra seater/crimp die for every set and never have to monkey with depth adjustment unless I've trimmed cases! I think that, like many of Lee's other products, the press just requires more tlc and mechanical ablity to "tune" than most others because of cheaper parts and sloppier tolerances.

Gear

BigDaddie
09-24-2009, 06:56 AM
I have used one of these for rifle carttidges for a while now. It works fine. The key is setting up the indexer correctly. If you get that right, your ammo will be consistent.

The other thing is that there is a small square plastic collar that fints inside the plastic block surrounding the indexing rod. (they give u a spare) I have worn out the 2 that came with the kit so have ordered some more. I'd advise u to get a couple more. The press requires manual indexing without it which is not a problem anyway as you can feel when it indexes correctly. Coupled with the automatd disk powder measure, it is a great combination.....for full power stuff, you'll need the double disk kit too.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-24-2009, 08:19 AM
If you'll take your time setting up the press, tuning and adjusting it, it will produce great ammo, especially pistol ammo. You're not giving up anything on pistol cartridges at all. Milsurp rifle cartridges were all I ever loaded with mine and I got good results for batches in the 100-200 quantity range.

As far as "slop" goes, a ridgid press isn't necessarily going to produce ammo any more accurate than a press with "slop," depending on where the "slop" is in the press. In some cases, having a less ridgid press will help with accuracy, not hurt it, because with the movement, the press can align itself and the die to the case better than a ridgid press, resulting in a more concentric resized brass case.

Additionally, the Lee may be loose during rotation, but once the brass is raised into the die, the turret tops out and is fixed into position until the operation is done. So at the point it needs to be, the Lee Turret is very ridgid.

But ultimately, it'll be your adjustment of the timing and the dies that'll decide wether or not the press does it's best for you.

When it comes to spending more money to get a pricier turret than the Lee, you're wasting your money. The Lee will be faster any more accurate than any other turret on the market today, due to the poor design of other turrets.

Regards,

Dave

geargnasher
09-25-2009, 10:58 PM
If you'll take your time setting up the press, tuning and adjusting it, it will produce great ammo, especially pistol ammo. You're not giving up anything on pistol cartridges at all. Milsurp rifle cartridges were all I ever loaded with mine and I got good results for batches in the 100-200 quantity range.

As far as "slop" goes, a ridgid press isn't necessarily going to produce ammo any more accurate than a press with "slop," depending on where the "slop" is in the press. In some cases, having a less ridgid press will help with accuracy, not hurt it, because with the movement, the press can align itself and the die to the case better than a ridgid press, resulting in a more concentric resized brass case.

Additionally, the Lee may be loose during rotation, but once the brass is raised into the die, the turret tops out and is fixed into position until the operation is done. So at the point it needs to be, the Lee Turret is very ridgid.

But ultimately, it'll be your adjustment of the timing and the dies that'll decide wether or not the press does it's best for you.

When it comes to spending more money to get a pricier turret than the Lee, you're wasting your money. The Lee will be faster any more accurate than any other turret on the market today, due to the poor design of other turrets.

Regards,

Dave

+1 on all counts! It keeps dies much straighter than the center-supported turrets like my FIL's Lyman turret at four times the price. I set up my brand new Lee turret (the even cheaper one, not the Classic) yesterday and found it works VERY well with a little careful setup. I've already made a replacement for the index follower out of 11 ga. sheet copper, looks like the plastic wouldn't last very long, Midway is all sold out of replacements if that's any indication. Found an ancient auto-index kit (3 actually) collecting dust at my local gun/hardware store, it had a cast aluminum index housing instead of the black plastic and a different style 4-post turret housing as well as a new ram. Kit was marked $26 so I didn't bother.

Gear

thenaaks
09-25-2009, 11:15 PM
I kinda don't think that it will, as the turret will always get pushed up the same everytime

that is correct...i occasionally check OAL and i rarely find any that are off by more than .001 inch. my 30-06 shoots 1" groups at 100 yds with me behind the trigger and on 2 cheap leather shooting bags. i say good enough.

Bullshop Junior
09-26-2009, 12:21 AM
It does not on mine.
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

1hole
09-26-2009, 04:42 PM
A big DITTO to Mr. Dave's observations! The Lee's turret slop is not much and what there is seems largely irrelivant.

I get a lot of chuckles reading posts praising how "tight" some press is. Tight is no help if everything - ram, shell holder, press threads, die itself - is properly aligned and rigidity is actually a detriment if it's not. A press cannot force cases to be loaded straight but it sure can force them to NOT be straight!

iron mule
09-26-2009, 08:54 PM
i have been using the lee classic turret press for a couple years now load all my bp ammo on it 38-40// 44-40// 38spl// 38-55// 45-60//45-70 and a few white powder loads rifle // the first thing i did was remove the indexer // i turn the turret by hand and still can load 300 an hour if i hurry // but i size and cap seperate it is a good press and have no complaints // i can chage calibers in about 15 seconds
mule

Bloodman14
09-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Don't sweat it. ALL my Lee's have some play; My Pro 1000 in.45, Loadmasters in .303 and 7.62x39, as well as an old 3-hole manual I use for load development. Lee stuff is all I will EVER use!(not counting molds!)

TAWILDCATT
09-27-2009, 01:38 PM
the bonanza is a top of the line press.the dies can move all over,so whats your problem?a lttle play allows the dies to align.

BigDaddie
09-28-2009, 06:18 AM
A good way to describe it is 'floating' rather than slop or play. U actually get quite consistent performance out of your press with the dies floating. Particulary if u use collet dies and set them up so the press just toggles over at the bottom of the stroke...very consistent neck tension.

Glen Zediker's book on handloading describes it well...ie the 'floating' concept.

The key with this press is to set it up into perfect indexing alignment.