PDA

View Full Version : unknown type metal

Catch
09-23-2009, 09:45 PM
I have obtained some type metal which has letters on it and was seemingly used for printing. I thought it was linotype but found out it was not. This stuff is really hard! It casts beautifully and has a pinkish tinge to it. It is also 5 or 10 %:Fire::Fire: lighter than castings with my usual stuff. It is very brittle however and does not seem to work well in anything I have tried it in. It also seems to refuse to mix with other lead alloys and I don't really know what to do with it at this point. Does anyone know what this may be and how I can get it to mix so I can harden my ordinary lead mixes. Could it be monotype, or sterotype? It is not babbit as babbit will mix readily with other alloys. I know as I have tried it. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks, Catch

ANeat
09-23-2009, 09:57 PM
It could be Monotype or something similar, but that stuff usually mixes real well with lead alloys.
If its casting beautifully as you mentioned, thats a good sign.

It would help to know exactly how hard it is, The weight of a bullet cast with it compared to say Lino or pure lead, and the exact melting temp.

With those 3 things a guy can usually get a better educated guess.

ANeat
09-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Here is a listing of some of the typemetals

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Lead/TypeMetal.jpg

rob45
09-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Could be monotype, or even any other typemetal. Lots of times it's hard to tell unless you're someone familiar with the printing industry. And even then....

Every time I run across the harder stuff,I always have to have a higher temp for it to mix properly. An occasional stir while it's melting seems to help. Also, I do NOT skim the top once everything is molten. Put sawdust on top, cover, and let it sit there and char. That will not only insulate the heat but also help flux. Once the whole top is ash THEN I stir, skim and reflux. Very minimal dross with this method, as anything I skim off seems to be just ash. If I'm using a bottom pour pot, I don't even skim the ash off; I just leave it there for oxidation protection.

09-23-2009, 10:53 PM
"Never look a gift horse in the mouth"

I have about 2000 lbs pure lead but the tin and antimony are the budget killers. The pure lead is fine for the paper patch or muzzleloader, but sooo expensive for alloying non-muzzleloader boolits.

Who knows what you may have other than a variety of type metal possibly even a mixture. No matter, it's going to have quite a bit of those expensive elements, tin and antimony, already mixed in. Lyman lists the BHN hardness for three varieties. Monotype-28. Stereotype-23. Linotype-22. So getting a BHN of the stuff may be a clue but again it really doesn't matter much. For example if I want an 11 BHN alloy I just melt 3/4 pot of pure lead and add small quantities of the hard stuff I have on hand until it brings the BHN up to the desired 11 hardness.

sagacious
09-23-2009, 11:55 PM
I have obtained some type metal which has letters on it and was seemingly used for printing. I thought it was linotype but found out it was not. This stuff is really hard! It casts beautifully and has a pinkish tinge to it. It is also 5 or 10 %:Fire::Fire: lighter than castings with my usual stuff. It is very brittle however and does not seem to work well in anything I have tried it in.
Well, that all sounds exactly like linotype or stereotype. It generally does not work well for low-pressure applications like 38spec, or 45acp. Please indicate which calibers you have poured with this alloy, and why the results were unsatisfactory.

There is not enough information above to give a clear answer on what you have. How did you find out that it was not type metal? That information would be helpful to know.

It also seems to refuse to mix with other lead alloys and I don't really know what to do with it at this point. Does anyone know what this may be and how I can get it to mix so I can harden my ordinary lead mixes.
What exactly do you mean when you say it will not mix-- and then ask for info on how to mix it into lead? All type metal alloys contain lead, and thus readily mix with lead. Please describe your technique of mixing/alloying/etc. That would help get you an accurate answer instead of varying opinions.

Could it be monotype, or sterotype? It is not babbit as babbit will mix readily with other alloys. I know as I have tried it. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks, Catch
It could, but your explanation above seems somewhat contradictory. If you can provide a bit more info, we can narrow this down a little more precisely.