PDA

View Full Version : Hoppes 9 to clean bullet mold

1911fan
09-23-2009, 09:12 PM
I am new to casting and have a Lee TL Mold that I would like to clean because I got some bullet lube in the cavities and it started messing up my bullets. Has anyone ever used gun cleaner like Hoppes #9 to clean the molds????

454PB
09-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm trying to picture how you got boolit lube into a mould cavity.......

Anyway, Hoppes will probably remove the lube, but you then need a degreaser to remove the Hoppes.

Gun Scrubber is what I use to degrease moulds, but brake cleaner works well too.

shotman
09-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Kroil ---Kroil---Kroil is all you need read sticky

1911fan
09-23-2009, 09:24 PM
I have gun scrubber as well, I will try that as I can't find Kroil around here.

1911fan
09-23-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm trying to picture how you got boolit lube into a mould cavity.......

Anyway, Hoppes will probably remove the lube, but you then need a degreaser to remove the Hoppes.

Gun Scrubber is what I use to degrease moulds, but brake cleaner works well too.

It was actually a stick of brown wax that I use to put on the sprue bushing and the mold pins and to flux the pot, it ran into the mold cavities. How do you lube the sprue screw without it running onto the top of the mold??? I am new, be gentle.:-D

454PB
09-23-2009, 09:51 PM
You're asking the wrong guy.....I quit lubing my Lee moulds 20 years ago, for exactly the reason you sighted.

Most Lee users on this forum recommend the Bullplate lube sold here:
http://bullshop.gunloads.com/

theperfessor
09-23-2009, 10:14 PM
BullPlate Lube is the only way to go when using aluminum molds. Just follow the directions that come with it.

There are several threads here concerning mold cleaning. I use a little acetone, applied with old white tee shirt cloth and Q-tips to degrease mold, then mild dishwashing soap to remove rest of residue. Lots of ways to clean a mold, but if you use brake cleaner, acetone, etc. make sure you have adequate ventilation.

It may take a few casts to season mold but since most aluminum molds need to be run hot to cast good boolits it shouldn't take long to burn out any residual oils/hydrocarbons and start getting good Boolits.

But honestly, use BullPlate lube and remove lots of problems from your list.

Graboid
09-23-2009, 10:28 PM
:coffeecom Brakcleen will clean a mold safely. After my molds have cooled down, I use WD-40 to protect them. WD-40 also cleans! The when you are ready to cast, clean again with Brakleen, the mold is then very clean and ready to cast!
I am new to casting and have a Lee TL Mold that I would like to clean because I got some bullet lube in the cavities and it started messing up my bullets. Has anyone ever used gun cleaner like Hoppes #9 to clean the molds????