PDA

View Full Version : Good news for milsurp rifles

waksupi
09-23-2009, 06:35 PM
This May Be Your Chance: Korea will sell outdated M1 and carbine rifles used during the Korean War and the Vietnam War to the U.S. gun enthusiasts. They have long lost their value as firearms, except that reserve forces sometime use them. The Defense Ministry's "green" logistics planning division said it decided to sell about 87,000 M1 and some 35,000 carbine rifles to the U.S. by the end of the year. "Importers are very interested in them as many Americans want to buy them as curios for their collections." The ministry estimated their expected sale prices at US$220 per M1 and more than $140 per carbine. Korea could earn more than $20 million from the first shipment of those rifles. In fact, the old M1 or carbine rifle is traded at more than $1,000 in some cases in the U.S., a military officer said. (As I recall, some of the earlier Korean imports were not in the best condition. However, they may be good sources for parts.)

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2009/09/23/2009092300791.html

Bob S
09-23-2009, 06:50 PM
(As I recall, some of the earlier Korean imports were not in the best condition. However, they may be good sources for parts.)

Rik,

If they are anything like the "Blue Sky" imports of the early 90's, they will be *beat* *to* *hell*. Several guys in the local club bought those, and the only thing the parts were good for was fishin' sinkers. Use caution ....

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Shiloh
09-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Rik,

If they are anything like the "Blue Sky" imports of the early 90's, they will be *beat* *to* *hell*. Several guys in the local club bought those, and the only thing the parts were good for was fishin' sinkers. Use caution ....

Resp'y,
Bob S.

We'll have to wait and see.

However, as you say, I saw some real junk M-1's and M-1 carbines. Mostly M-1's back in the earlier to mid 90's.

Shiloh

nicholst55
09-23-2009, 08:38 PM
If the actual retail prices are in line with the news release, these guns will retail for $1K, or a little more. Knowing Korea and Koreans like I do, I fully expect these rifles to be in NRA junk-to-mostly-junk condition, just like the 'Blue Sky' imports mentioned earlier. I've never known a Korean to get rid of something if it was still even marginally serviceable! And I'm not hating Koreans, because my wife is Korean. I'm just stating my experience over the past 35 years!

I well remember a guy who bought one of the Blue Sky M1 Garands, who bragged that the barrel still had rifling in the last 3 inches!

So, I would advise folks to wait and see, before they get their hopes up.

09-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Don't know about Blue Sky, but I bought a Korean-returned Garand that DIDN'T have any rifling in the last 3-inches, and produced shotgun patterns. Had Springfield Armory install a new barrel and all's well.

Got an sales e-mail, from AIM, the other day that said they have refinished Garands for $1000.

greg gremlin
09-23-2009, 09:39 PM
The CMP has the best prices and quality. Why waste money on S**T? I have net been disappointed with the rifles purchased from CMP. greg [smilie=s:

Three44s
09-27-2009, 02:20 AM
Wanting $1000 a copy and getting it are two different critters.

Three 44s

exile
09-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Off topic, again, but just out of curiosity, what is the easiest way to get qualified for the Civilian Marksmanship program? Poor health prohibits me from shooting in competition. Fortunately, the farm and a bunch of tin cans is five minutes away.

exile

dominicfortune00
09-27-2009, 09:20 AM
I well remember a guy who bought one of the Blue Sky M1 Garands, who bragged that the barrel still had rifling in the last 3 inches! :groner:

XBT
09-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Off topic, again, but just out of curiosity, what is the easiest way to get qualified for the Civilian Marksmanship program? Poor health prohibits me from shooting in competition. Fortunately, the farm and a bunch of tin cans is five minutes away.

exile

All I had to do was join a CMP approved shooting club. Shooting in competition was not required. The CMP will have a list of approved clubs in your area.

scb
09-28-2009, 06:34 PM
The first one of those Bluesky "rifles" I saw a guy brought into the shop in a sack because it blew in half on the first shot. The second one that came in I grabbed by the gas cylinder and shook it (not very hard either) and the op rod disconnected from the bolt. That Korean stuff was just plain wore out. They were no bargains.

bob208
09-28-2009, 08:36 PM
like others have said thew korean m1's were just plain wore out. i remember there were a lot of good ones from other places. then there would be some guy at a fleamarket trying to get top $ for a korean import.

trooperdan
09-29-2009, 10:22 AM

exile

Exile, here are the requirements for the CMP; good news if you are 60 or over, no need to prove marksmanship so no shooting requirement. Join the Garand collectors association for $25 and you are good to go on that point. The web site is www.odcmp.org

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

- Current or past military service.
- Current or past law enforcement service
- Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
- Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
- Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
- Concealed Carry License.
- Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
- FFL or C&R license.
- Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
- Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.
NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

smokemjoe
09-29-2009, 03:58 PM
You can right now get a M1 Garand from the CMP for $445.00, Got 4 comming in the morning.

mto7464
09-29-2009, 06:17 PM
I have seen recent pics, less then 5 years old, of some of the rifles that Korea has. Many of them are still in the cans that the US stored them in after rebuilds. I saw pics of them taking some out of the cans and they are perfect looking. The ones they sold years ago were the well used but their was an estimate well into the 10's to 100's of thousand of nice ones.

The CMP was trying to get them. The state dept. tried to tell the Koreans that they were lend lease and wanted them back so the CMP could sell them. This leaked out and the major importers wanted part of the action. Now the Koreans see the value in what they have and told the state dept. were to go. A small portion would be returned for sale by the CMP but the bigger amount would go up for sale.

Tom308
09-29-2009, 09:24 PM
I'll be looking for one at a decent price. That's something UNDER $300.00. I just hope the current occupant of the white house doesn't stop the sales. Remember wild Bill who had a good bit of our surplus chopped up?
I already have an abundance of ammo. Seems like I have or had some clips somewhere. A new (for me) M1 would fit right in.

oldhickory
10-01-2009, 12:33 PM
As I recall Bluesky was the last of the line of importers for the Korean Garands and Carbines getting the junk that the others didn't want. Some of the early release stuff wasn't too shabby, and there was even a few collectibles to be had.

shooterg
10-01-2009, 08:56 PM
I wish I had a dozen of those Blue Sky guns at less than $100 at Roses/etc. !
I have both an Inland carbine and Springfield Garand that both have decent barrels. They were worth the time picking through the junk.

Shiloh
10-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Wanting $1000 a copy and getting it are two different critters.

Three 44s

Amen!!

Shiloh

C1PNR
10-10-2009, 04:23 PM
In the late 80's I was working in upstate NY (building Fort Drum) and the big Drug Store in Watertown, or maybe it was Woolworth's, had just received a batch of Korean return Garands. A friend of mine wanted to buy one so we went into town to have a look.

A lot of good looking rifles! Except every one of them had a "frosted" bore. We must have looked at 20 or more before the clerk got tired of showing them to us, and not one had a bright, shiny bore.

IIRC they were priced at $150 or so, maybe $200. Oh how I wish I'd bought 2 or 3.

Old Ironsights
10-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Of course, with CMP being essentially out of ammo and the greek stuff virtualy gone too...

Kind of makes me leary of gas operated guns.

Can anyone disabuse me of the notion?

ELFEGO BACA
10-13-2009, 01:13 AM
From my experience the CMP M1 Garand and M1 carbine are great.

Lead Fred
10-13-2009, 02:57 AM
I wondered which brite bulb decided they were obsolete?

Mine sure aint, it kills commies as good as it did in 44' when it was made

mroliver77
12-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Couple cmp Garands here. A friend is a parts matcher and likes to dig through the racks at the north store. I told him to find me a shooter and I dont care about matching parts as long as they are sound. He picked me up a late SA and a late HR. The later of the two is a very nice piece! Barrel is perfect and all major parts are HR. It is a tight gun and a shooter! SA has a 2 muzzle and 5 throat wear. It still shoots the greek and LC from cmp into 3"-3.5" and cast a tad better. Compared to what I see at gun shows I got a great deal.:)
Jay

garandsrus
12-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Old Ironsights,

The CMP just bought another very large shipment of 30-06 ammo. They said that it would last for several years worth of demand. It goes on sale sometime in January or February.

John