PDA

View Full Version : What diameter do most molds drop?

kamikaze1a
09-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Though I've been casting for a while, I've never had reason to mic my boo's. They shoot fine sized with a standard .356 lube/sizer so never measured them before or after sizing. For that matter, never slugged my barrel either.

I have lately been thinking about getting a custom mold and it appears that you can request what ever size you want. For example, .357 or .359 for 9mm. What would a standard 9mm mold drop? And would the .359 be for caster's who size with a bigger than standard .356? How about 40S&W or 45acp?

snaggdit
09-23-2009, 05:51 PM
If you are going to order a custom mold ($) don't you think it would be a good idea to slug your respective barrels first? It is really easy. Barrel sizes vary from gun to gun, even within the same manufacturer. Molds vary, too. What works for one guy will not necessarily work for you.

But to answer your question, my 40 has .401 grooves and my 45 .451. I feel lucky that they fall right where they should. My Lee molds also luckily drop .402 and .452. I do not size them. I do have one 45 mold that drops .455 and size it to .452.

pdawg_shooter
09-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Also depends on your alloy. Pure lead shrinks more than linotype. You can change you alloy and that will change the diameter of the as cast bullet.

Blammer
09-23-2009, 06:08 PM
I'd say you'd want a boolit that will measure at a min of .356 (that's what you currently size too) and a max of about .358, any larger and sizing is going to be somewhat difficult, in my opinion.

If you do decide to slug your barrel I can tell you one person who will definietly tell you what NOT to do. :D

HammerMTB
09-23-2009, 07:38 PM
I just did this with my BH .45 colt. I was concerned with all the reports here of undersize cylinder throats, and perhaps too big a bore for my boolits. It so happens I have ROA, and it shoots .457 RB's. Prefect for driving thru this cylinder and barrel.
I found out it was perfect, at least as far as I'm concerned. Throats were .4525, and bore was .451-.4505 Course, my mold throws .454 boolits, but no worries, I'll size 'em to .452 when I lube.
Round pure leads balls come in a variety of sizes, and you might have a shootin' friend that has the size you need. It's certainly worth your time, esp if you plan to buy a custom mold.
Now to do some of the rest of the safe. [smilie=2:

Bret4207
09-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Though I've been casting for a while, I've never had reason to mic my boo's. They shoot fine sized with a standard .356 lube/sizer so never measured them before or after sizing. For that matter, never slugged my barrel either.

I have lately been thinking about getting a custom mold and it appears that you can request what ever size you want. For example, .357 or .359 for 9mm. What would a standard 9mm mold drop? And would the .359 be for caster's who size with a bigger than standard .356? How about 40S&W or 45acp?

As the others said, without knowing what size your barrels run it's hard to say. I'd read up on all the relevant posts and try and get the idea of what revolves around boolit fit. There's absolutely no sense in ordering a custom mould if you have no idea what size you want. Even then your alloy will determine the final size. I've heard of people sending a sample ingot for the maker to check, but don;t know how that works anymore.

montana_charlie
09-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I've never had reason to mic my boo's. They shoot fine

I have lately been thinking about getting a custom mold
Why?

CM

kamikaze1a
09-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Lots of great tips. I guess I will drag out the ole tackle box and search through my egg sinkers. I must have one that is close to .356. For a self loader pistol, start the slugging from the chamber end of the barrel?

fredj338
09-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Alloy & alloy temp, mold diameter & mold temp, all play a part in the final size of the bullet. Play around w/ diff. alloy & you'll probably find you can cast that 0.356" bullet a bit larger.

kamikaze1a
09-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Slugged the barrel lastnight. Read .355 and I size to .356...should I get a .357 mold or .359? I use lead with lino added about 3:1 ratio and size with RCBS LAM.

Bret4207
09-24-2009, 08:04 PM
If you really want a custom design I'd figure exactly which gun it's going to be used in. IOW- don't try to make a custom design fit 3 different guns, waste of money unless it's a unique design. For a .355 I'd go .357 if the maker will spec it for your alloy, .358 otherwise since you can always size down.

Personally, I'm still back with Charlies question- WHY? What is it you want that a stock mould won't give you. Most guys going for a custom mould want an extra light or extra heavy or a GC added to a PB design or a fat nose the commercial guys won't make. If you just want a specific size of a more or less "normal" boolit, then I'd encourage you to specify EXACTLY what diameter you want it to drop from YOUR alloy and a money back warranty for that size. Good luck finding someone who will do that. I don't know if anyone does.

kamikaze1a
09-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I shopped around for a 147gr mold that will throw six boo's at a time. The shape is not that critical provided it feeds well. No one to my knowledge makes a six bagger in 147gr...

Bret4207
09-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Lee makes a 6 banger 150 gr RN that should feed good and can be sized down easily. It's not designed for the 9mm, but it may well work. It has the 1R nose radius rather than the 2R of the 9mm designs. You could try a single or double cav at $20.00 to see if it works. A 6 banger custom means you're looking in at Lee anyway unless NOE or Mihec is making a 6 cav these days. Either way a one off design means $150-175.00 to the best of my knowledge.

Do you know of someone making a 6 banger for less?

armyrat1970
09-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Slugged the barrel lastnight. Read .355 and I size to .356...should I get a .357 mold or .359? I use lead with lino added about 3:1 ratio and size with RCBS LAM.

IMO, if your barrel slugged to .355 and you are sizing to .356 you should be okay. 1 to 2 thousands over bore size should work well.

kamikaze1a
09-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys! I got an order in for a custom 6 bagger at .357... Appreciate all the help on this matter.

Brett, are you referring to the 357 mold?

Leftoverdj
09-25-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm a heretic. I take it we are talking pistols here. For a rifle, I might be more particular, but for pistols casting big and sizing down is the way to go. I've never run into a 9mm that needed a bullet as small as .356. I've also very rarely encountered a mould that cast exactly on nominal diameter and was not happy with those that did.

I feed everything in the 9mm/.38 range with a mould that casts .358. I'd be happier with it if it cast .360, but I'm glad it casts as large as it does. One mould and a couple of sizing dies will cover this whole range. A .360 or .361 bullet will still size readily to .356, and those are the extremes we are likely to encounter. For that matter, .358 will meet most needs. It'll fit all but the tightest chambered 9mms, and it's borderline in Marlin and NEF carbines, but does very well in most other guns.

kamikaze1a
09-25-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm a heretic. I take it we are talking pistols here. For a rifle, I might be more particular, but for pistols casting big and sizing down is the way to go. I've never run into a 9mm that needed a bullet as small as .356. I've also very rarely encountered a mould that cast exactly on nominal diameter and was not happy with those that did.

I feed everything in the 9mm/.38 range with a mould that casts .358. I'd be happier with it if it cast .360, but I'm glad it casts as large as it does. One mould and a couple of sizing dies will cover this whole range. A .360 or .361 bullet will still size readily to .356, and those are the extremes we are likely to encounter. For that matter, .358 will meet most needs. It'll fit all but the tightest chambered 9mms, and it's borderline in Marlin and NEF carbines, but does very well in most other guns.

What sizer you using? I use a RCBS LAM and when sizing oversized boo's, I find that the lead "flows" towards the ogive and ends up looking somewhat like a SWC (sort of). Nose first sizing would probably work out better I guess.

Bret4207
09-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys! I got an order in for a custom 6 bagger at .357... Appreciate all the help on this matter.

Brett, are you referring to the 357 mold?

Yeah, it's a simple 150 gr RN. Where did you order a custom 6 cav from and how much$$$?