PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6 Cav. Mold

Ben
09-23-2009, 04:05 PM
It seems that of late there are many who " bash " Lee products. I realize that with the thousands of items that leave their facility weekly there has to be some of their products that fail to meet specs. However, I would think that could also be said for Ford, GM, Toyota, etc.

Recently I ordered a Lee, 6 cav. , 38/357 , 158 gr. TL , SWC mold from MidSouth . The mold required no " Lee - Menting ".

The bullets fall from the mold freely. The bullets mike .3595 " and are very round.

The machining inside the mold cavities is flawless.

With the price of molds hitting $75 - $125 now, it still seems to me that this is a good product at a fair price ( $38 ).

Here is a photo of the mold and 2 hrs. use with the mold.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/PICT0002-1.jpg

oldhickory
09-23-2009, 04:17 PM
I have quite a few LEE molds and have only had problems with 2, (both bought this spring). Sent them back to LEE and they corrected them, no charge. They work fine now.

I've been using a lot of LEE products over the years, (by choice mostly) and they're a good value for the buck.

Ben
09-23-2009, 04:25 PM
they're a good value for the buck.

My thoughts exactly. Even if a person never buys a Lee product, they should be thankful they are in the " game". If Lee were not in the picture as a producer of reloading equipment, common reloading dies would be over $100 a set.

They act a strong competitor to keep prices competitive.

Ben

Landric
09-23-2009, 04:51 PM
I use a lot of Lee equipment. Some of their recent press designs are excellent, and easily worth much more than they charge (the Classic Cast, for instance, is just as good a press as my RCBS Rockchucker II, and has several features that are better than the RC IMO). The Classic Turret is basically in a class by its self, and also a fantastic press. Lee dies work well and are very reasonably priced, especially for more obscure cartridges.

That said, my only experience with Lee molds are their one and two cavity ones. I don't much care for them. They make good boolits when everything is just right, but they are a lot more finicky than my various Lyman and Ideal molds. Of course I use Lee handles on my Lyman and Ideal molds, 1/3rd the price and just as functional.

I am really glad Lee exists, even if I have been less than impressed with some of their products, others are excellent.

Ben
09-23-2009, 06:06 PM
I'd be the 1st one to say that their 1 cav. and 2 cav. molds leave a LOT to be desired.

However when you're 20 yrs. old with a baby on the way, many young shooters trying to get started in casting and reloading..........Well I'm glad Lee is there filling a real need for cost conscious reloading equipment purchasers.

Young shooters don't always have the $$$$ to buy " top end " bullet molds , dies, etc.

40 yrs. ago, when I was 20 yrs. old and getting started in casting bullets I didn't either.

Ben

stubshaft
09-23-2009, 07:04 PM
I generally use Lee moulds for experimentation (see what weight boolit my gun likes) and plinking boolits. Do not get me wrong they do make accurate boolits that shoot grreat and I have sheafs of targets with itty bitty groups to prove it. After deciding what weight/type boolit I want I will either:
A - Pray for a good GB design
B - Order custom mould (MM, LBT etc.)
C - See if the "Green" guys have something I can use.

I do not order anything from the "orange" people anymore.

At last count I had about 90+ moulds of various manufacturers. About HALF of them are Lee.

mtgrs737
09-23-2009, 07:21 PM
I agree that Lee keeps the rest of the manufacturers " Honest" by providing a quality product at a reasonable price. If it were not for Lee products some folks might not get into our hobby. I have a lot of Lee products along with products from all the other manufacturers, each choice was decided on it own merits for my use. I just walked in from casting a full 20lb. pot of WW alloy with a GB Lee six cavity mould I got here on this fine forum. The mould worked flawlessly as it has many times before. Thank you Cast Boolits, and thank you Lee with your help I am enjoying our hobby!

Trey45
09-23-2009, 07:49 PM
I have 2 6 banger Lee molds. One for TL 2R 45acp and the other is a H&G 68 clone. I have only cast with the 2R mold so far, and so far it drops 6 good boolits every time, once you get the mold up to temp, which doesn't take as long as i expected. I several 2 cavity lee molds that see steady use. I like Lee products.

Ben
09-23-2009, 08:02 PM
stubshaft :

I will buy a Lyman mold if it was made " Years Ago"..when true craftsman worked at Lyman and took pride in their work ......today's stuff........NO.....count me out on that.

There was a day when companies could pretty much get away with all kinds of things with customers ( in the customer service arena )...If you lived in a small town 30 yrs. ago, how many people would ever get a chance to hear your Customer Service Horror Story.

No more, when a company doesn't stand behind their products in today's competitive market place , the internet is a guarantee that the word will get out quickly.

Ben

Buckshot
09-23-2009, 11:52 PM
..............Yup, a GOOD Lee 6 banger is a joy :-)

http://www.fototime.com/34DC7833A633206/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/FC7FB74B506D8FB/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/D6A6B7A4B80A24E/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/654A4144C54FAB9/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/7B5E80F99FF60E7/standard.jpg

Middle and right photo of a Lee 6V GB that DID turn out right :-) It did use to happen every once in awile!

...............Buckshot

shotman
09-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Get you a Lee and Kriol and your set for life. Bulls lube is good too > just be carefull with the Kroil . One Q tip will take care of 5 molds for weeks. It will [bleed] to the cav if you get wild

exile
09-24-2009, 05:06 AM
You can use lee handles wih a Lyman mold? I did not know that. I may order a Lyman 358429 after all.

exile

Shootingstar
09-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Buckshot, What cal/wt bullet are we looking at? Is the mould available?
I'm new to this game and not shure what a Lee 6v GB is.
Thankyou, Shootingstar