PDA

View Full Version : Anyone cast for 10.47mm Vetterli

69daytona
09-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Im looking for anyone that casts or might have a mold for this old swiss made rifle?
It took a hallow base lead paper patched bullet, I belive it was the first work production blot action rifle made and used a rim fire case, new brass is being made for center fire.
If any of you guys have one feel free to post up on yours.

mtnman31
09-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Many have used the Lee 310gr 44mag pistol bullet for this round. Conversion to centerfire is easy enough. Brass can be made from trimmed and formed .348 Win or 8mm Lebel brass.

My rifle has a very tight bore .404 bore/.419 groove. I got an oddball mold off of fleaBay that I plan to use for mine.
See post http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=51023
The mold is not marked with a maker and should drop a bullet around 300-350gr. Right now the mold is being cleaned up and reparied. I still need to drill and tap for handle screws and a new screw hole for the sprue plate. I've had my rifle going on a year now and have yet to fire it. I guess I just have too many other projects...

Slug your bore and if it will work, the Lee 430-310RF is probably your easiest and cheapest route to getting some lead down range.

Oldeyes
09-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Bear in mind that magazine feeding is only possible with cartridges of the correct length, so bullet choice is critical unless you are happy with feeding single shot style.
However, case length is NOT critical if the round will chamber; the chamber throat has no cut for the case neck, merely a long taper from the case shoulder into the throat. Pick your boolit and make cases as long as possible for that diameter slug. Some of my rifles have no problem digesting cases 42mm long (standard is 38mm).
My favorite mold is the obsolete Lyman 427103, a round nosed 350 grain boolit that will produce a ctg. looking near identical to the originals, and if the cases are made long enough they will feed fine from the mag. For single shot the little Lyman 429421 Keith type is very accurate..... most 44 pistol boolits shoot very well. Some bores are tight and some large, mine run .426 thru .435...... and a gas checked RCBS 430-300 does very well in the big bores with minimal leading.
You do not need a hollow based boolit to do well.....
And my favorite brass is made from Graff's 8mm Lebel, I have problems w/ the 348 Win. base diam being too large for my chambers and it sometimes needs turning.....more work.

jonk
09-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I think you are getting terminology confused.

The Swiss round is the 10.4X38R rimfire. They also made a version of it in 10.4X42R rimfire- as oldeyes suggests, it fit the same chamber. It features a tubular magazine holding 14 rounds (IIRC). It is not hard to convert to CF. Most people seem to be assuming that is what you have, and if so the nominal .429 .44 mag bullets are a good choice. I wonder though, s you list 10.47. That isn't a proper caliber designation at all, but I am thinking you might be trending towards.......

There is also an Italian Vetterli. Similar action. It was originally made as a single shot and chambered in 10.35X47R centerfire. Later modifications included a box type magazine and eventual conversion (of many) to 6.5X52 Carcano as a wartime expedient. Not having fired this round I can't speak to bullet diameter.

However, which gun do you have?

69daytona
09-24-2009, 04:41 PM
I am just relaying information I got from a friend who has the gun and is looking for something he can use to reload it.
Thanks for all your information about the brass and the bullets he can use, just got a MiHec 240gr keith style mold in so he will have plenty to shoot as soon as he gets the brass in.
Thanks again