PDA

View Full Version : New mould for K31

sav300
09-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Hi Folks,A mould I order off Bernie at Old West arrived monday and after reading his instruction and cleaning.I started casting,nice mould to look at and a nice one to cast with.Note to self!Buy a ditigal camera.[smilie=b:

Am happy and have lubed and loaded over 13gns reddot for a start.Range day saturday.

mto7464
09-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Saturday?? It is only Wednesday and you tease us with this??

NuJudge
09-24-2009, 06:03 AM
Heck, it'll be almost Sunday here before he gets to the range Saturday there . . .

madsenshooter
09-24-2009, 06:11 AM
I'd be interested in seeing that, I've had Bernie make a few molds for me, the Eagan MX3-30G and the MX3-30AR. The AR is very much like the current K31 group buy running, boolits just jump out of the mold and it's perfectly round, shoots like the dickens out of my K31, and surprisingly, my oversized bore Krag rifles even like it at 2000fps.

sav300
09-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Madsenshooter,do you have a pic of the Eagan MX3-30G and the MX3-30AR moulds and the cast boolits,please?
Eagan moulds are bloody rare here.Thanks

madsenshooter
09-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Madsenshooter,do you have a pic of the Eagan MX3-30G and the MX3-30AR moulds and the cast boolits,please?
Eagan moulds are bloody rare here.Thanks

Mr. Eagan is now making molds in a better place, so they are getting rare here, and sometimes bring a good price on ebay, I've sold a couple of the 30G clones that Bernie made for me for $150. Here's some pics of molds and bullets. Bernie first sent me a shortened 30G, he took it back as he could cut a larger bullet in it, and made me one the right length. The 30AR is a dream, designed for cast bullet competition using the 30 benchrest by John Ardito, who has designed bullets for Lyman. See the post below, Blue Dot vs 4895 in my Krag. There are also pics of the 30AR in a post titled, Finally a bullet to fit my K31. First pic is 30AR, next the mold for the 30AR (boolit weighs 169.2gr checked and lubed). Next is the MX3-30G seated to engrave the rifling in my Krag, it weighs about 198gr checked and lubed. Finally, a 30G waiting to be loaded. Lubing the 30AR without a tapered lube die is a pain in the butt, if I size anything but .308 lube squishes up onto the nose, but .308 is fine for my K31, in the Krag it goes as cast and I have to dip lube then cut off the excess. I lube the 30G by getting the boolits the same temp as the melted lube, then dipping and let them sit on the bottom of the electric skillet to drain for a few minutes before allowing them to cool. The lube is in a little pot pie tin. I've not found the right combination for the 30G yet, and Bernie made the molds I decided to keep a bit out of round. Both the 30AR and 30G are nose pour molds, in case you weren't aware. If Bernie's making a mold for a K31, could be he's using dimensions he got from the 30AR, that's why I was interested in seeing yours, He'd probably make it a base pour, he didn't like working with my Eagan cherries, as they appear somewhat fragile, especially the 30G. Goodness this widescreen monitor sure makes my boolits look fat!

sav300
09-26-2009, 01:21 AM
Madsenshooter,thanks for the imformation about the moulds. Back from the range and I need a scope on my K31.the new mould put 3 shots into a 8in group at 50 yards with iron sights and old eyes.Will order a scope mount monday.Then I will do some load testing when I can see.