PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 1050, loading 223

frank_1947
09-22-2009, 04:01 PM
anyone have a 1050 that loads 223 how good does it all work , does the swagger do a good job and do you just lube put in case feeder and go from there.

ANeat
09-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Frank it works great but with 223 its kind of a 2 step process due to the fact that the cases will more than likely need trimmed.

The way I did it is tumble/clean the brass, lube and run thru the press the first time.

This will size, de-cap, swage. If you mount a Dillon trimmer on the press you can trim as well. You would just decap first, then swage, then trim/size in the same die.

After the first run if you didnt trim you will need to trim however you see fit. After that I tumble clean again to remove the case lube.

On the second run I hit it one more time with the de-capper to clear the primer pocket, prime, drop powder, seat bullet, crimp if needed and its ready to shoot.

As far as speed the 1st time thru goes real fast, If youre using the dillon trimmer you can size/swage/trim as fast as you can pull the handle literally, probably 2k an hour.

The 2nd run youre not sizing so it goes a lot smoother, youre basicly waiting for the powder to drop.

This is the fastest way Ive found to process 223 from once fired crimped brass to shootable ammo. Its really worth it if you have a lot of brass.

I would usually process my brass thru the 1st step and store it, then load up what I needed .

frank_1947
09-22-2009, 04:29 PM
AH HA, sounds great , but suppose you eliminate taking out second time by trimming then go ahead and load powder and bullet I allways crimp and throw in tumbler for 5 minutes to get lube offf I do that now, what do you think?

garandsrus
09-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Frank,

If you have a die station available, and you probably do, you can use a Lyman M die to slightly expand/belle the case mouth after trimming. This will eliminate the need to chamfer the brass when using jacketed bullets.

John

frank_1947
09-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks John, I am considering a 1050, okay how long and what will it take to change over to 9mm, I use a Hornady lock and load now I can change in just a minute or 2 I have extra powder dispencers

ANeat
09-22-2009, 04:50 PM
AH HA, sounds great , but suppose you eliminate taking out second time by trimming then go ahead and load powder and bullet I allways crimp and throw in tumbler for 5 minutes to get lube offf I do that now, what do you think?

If you didnt need to trim you could do it in one pass thru the press but I wouldnt recommend running the press mounted trimmer and dropping powder. The trimmer really has a buzz to it and would probably do some weird things to the consistency of the powder drop, plus Im not sure if there would be room :confused:

frank_1947
09-22-2009, 04:56 PM
okay good answer ANeat, most of the time I dont need to trim all brass is once fired and same as new.

Thanks guys that answers all my questions.

jmorris
09-23-2009, 09:18 AM
As nice as the 1050 is it still can’t do everything in one pass. I find it faster to keep my trimmer on a 650 tool head. I Size/deprime and trim on the 650 then load on the 1050 with a kiss bullet feeder. If you are thinking about getting a 1050 you should watch this http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/?action=view&current=1050.flv

I post load tumble to get the lube off.

The bullet feeder is the white tube on the left.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/1050feeder.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/trimmer.jpg

frank_1947
09-23-2009, 10:48 AM
nice video I am famiar with the bullet feeder I have shooting buddy has three 1050s all with BF 9mm,40SW,45acp he has WAY more money then me.

My main intention is processing the brass for those who dont care to do all that, get the brass ready for primer,powder,bullet I am just not sure I want to bother.

I have seen processed brass sell for 12 to 16 cents each, but I can sell a bunch with primer in for 6.5 cents here and clean and polish or 5.5 dirty, I have been all over the net to see if processed is a good idea for me, takes a bunch of brass to pay for that 1050, I have seen many on Gunbroker all processed for 16 not sell but mine with bullets sell, this is a tuff decission for me, I do not want to have any brass sitting around I like a complete turn over every wk, so cheap sells.

Oh Well

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Frank,

Do what I do. Get yourself an X-die in .223. Get yourself a Dillon Trimmer and put it in a LnL bushing.

Here's the process:

First time/strange to you brass:

1. Set up a X-die as your sizer.
2. Set up the Dillon trimmer to trim while you're sizing. (Note: This will be a one time operation for new/strange to you brass.) Set the trim length per the X-die instructions.
3. Use Lyman M-die to open case mouth enough for J-bullets.
4. Swage off press with Dillon swager. (Note: This will be a one time operation for new/strange to you brass.)
5. Store brass in large plastic bin from dollar store or load immediately as desired.

Second time/familiar to you brass that's been processed once:

1. Size with X-die
2. Open case mouth with Lyman M-die just enough to insert J-word boolit.
3. Drop powder
4. Seat bullet

With the X-die, you only have to trim once and if you set it up right, you get multiple reloads with no need to trim the neck. I've found if I set the sizing die (x-die) right, I can just do shoulder bumps to match the rifle i'm shooting in (for convenience, get more than one die if you have more than one .223 rifle to load for and mark the die for that rifle.) and get very accurate ammo. I have enough brass I don't go through it enough to worry about case neck annealing/trimming.

Regards,

Dave

frank_1947
09-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks Dave