PDA

View Full Version : Enfield III Barrel on a No4 Enfield action

bruce drake
09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Gentlemen,

And especially to our Brit, Ozzy and Kiwi members,

Are the threads on a Enfield No1 MkIII barrel the same as a No 4 mk1 Enfield?

I've got an opportunity to buy a barrel but I would like confirmation of the threading before I buy one.

Bruce

bruce drake
09-22-2009, 01:23 PM
According to Pietro on a previous Cast Boolit thread a SMLE Barrel is:

Enfield SMLE -
.687" Dia +.100 lip x .900" Root Dia x .997" Dia x 14 V-TPI.

Was the Enfield no 4 the same?

303Guy
10-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Yes, the threads are the same - I have a No.4 barrel on my No.I MkI*. BUT, the No.I and No.2 barrels are not interchangeable. The thread starts are in a different position. This is great for fitting a No.4 barrel onto the No.I as the barrel has to be set back a little to get the threads starts to match and this tightens up the sometimes somewhat sloppy No.4 chamber.

The simplest way or fitting No.4 barrel onto a No.I is to simply cut a new extractor cut-out. The knox form flat might be hidden or to the side somewhere. Gunsmith work!

bruce drake
10-02-2009, 08:36 AM
303Guy,

I've got a gunsmith that's pretty good with the mill and lathe and thank you for the experienced input regarding this. So you can put a No4 barrel on a No 1 easier than a No1 barrel on a No 4.

This project will be a long process. I've found a No4 barrel and its coming shortly. Hopefully it's better than the toasted barrel currently on this rifle. It currently has a crusty bore that suffered from a previous owner shooting a case (700 out of a case of 760 rnds) of corrosive POF without the proper cleaning and he cut the barrel back and put a crappy ramp sight on it as well. It is a humanitarian mission to save the rifle and I hope to bring it back to proper form soon.

Bruce

Bruce

dualsport
12-15-2009, 08:52 PM
What is a good source of info on rebarreling SMLEs? Maybe a book? Articles?

cheese1566
12-15-2009, 09:27 PM
What is a good source of Lee barrels or conversions?

dualsport
12-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Looked at the cheese sight, I couldn't find the conversion/barrel stuff.

docone31
12-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Lots of barrels here.
My favourite site for them.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=306940&chrSuperSKU=&MC=&CatID=11952&mySort=2
All that is needed to headspace is the bolt spacer. Comes numbered 1-5.

dualsport
12-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks Doc. I wasn't aware of the #4 and 5 bolt heads, that's excellent news. I'll check out the site.

Multigunner
12-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Actually boltheads for the No.4 rifle are numbered 0, 1,2,3, with number three boltheads rare as hens teeth these days.
There are supposed to have been number 4 boltheads made but rarely if ever used since a bolt that worn was ready for the trash bin.

No.1 Boltheads aren't numbered, theres supposed to be an S mark on extra long No.1 boltheads. Thats a regular S not to be confused with the Savage squared S on no.4 rifle boltheads.

I've got a number one action here that I'm fitting with a No.4 barrel. First started on it years ago then set it aside for other more promising projects.
The threads of the No.4 barrel I have are a hair looser than the barrel that came off this action, but probably within limits. I suspect the shank of the old barrel swelled due to excessive pressure.
I've already done the breech and shoulder trimming needed to bring it back to about 1/6 turn before torquing down.
I'll need to undercut the shoulder before clocking it in. I deepened the extractor cut a hair so the extractor won't bind.

I may bore this barrel out as a .410, and do whatever is needed to make the shotshells feed from the mag.

I put a number 3 bolthead on my No.4 rifle bolt, that tightened up the headspace enough for easy reloading and long case life.