PDA

View Full Version : LNL Bushings

Scrounger
09-22-2009, 11:53 AM
I just bought a set of used Hornady dies and they came with LNL Bushings on them. Since I don't use the LNL, is there some trick to removing the bushings? I loosened the die ring set screws but they won't turn out of the LNLs easily; Do I need to use wrenches or is there some neat little trick that does it?

Ken 45LC
09-22-2009, 12:42 PM
I've never tried to remove them after i set them, but they just screw into the bushing with very little effort. Try placing them in a vise with minimal pressure because i'm sure it wouldn't take a lot to crush the bushing into the die threads.

hope this helps,
ken

Scrounger
09-22-2009, 03:23 PM
OK, using wrench and channel locks, I got them off without messing up the dies. What are these bushings worth?

Ken 45LC
09-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Why don't you try them on your single stage press and see if you like them. I like them, and very quick to change out dies, and as you can see they hold their die adjustment. I know, it's a gaget that really isn't necessary, but sure does speed up things a bit. And i seem to be getting a little lazy as i age too.

New they're around $12 for 3 of them, so you can go from there.

Thanks,
Ken

Scrounger
09-22-2009, 04:55 PM
It probably takes 10 seconds to turn a die into the press, I can afford that much time. Considering the difficulty I had removing the bushings from the dies, I am inclined to believe Hornady's claim that they lock in place more tightly and consistently than dies alone; that being said, in almost 50 years of reloading, I've never had cause to complain about the lock up consistency of plain RCBS, Redding, and Hornady dies. Now money; let's see... 5 three die sets and 5 two die sets, that's 25 dies needing bushings at $4 each... No, I think I'll just keep on keeping on like I have been. Thanks for your help.