PDA

View Full Version : Magma/Star luber question

angus6
09-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Waiting for luber to arrive but have a question about the lube , Do I order solid sticks for the air cylinder option ? and it's the 1x4 sticks ?
Anyone come up with a housing extension to load a couple sticks ?

Echo
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
1X4 solid is right, and I have seen extensions that allow one to put in three sticks of lube - but Why? Looooong tube, loooong spring screw - more trouble than it is worth AFAICS. Replacing lube breaks up the session, and one has to lube a whole LOT of boolits to empty one fill.

Springfield
09-22-2009, 06:19 PM
If you have the air lube option, just plug up the overflow hole on the press with a hose clamp and you can put in 6" sticks, a 50% improvement. As for if you need it or not, I do it as a 6" stick will only do 400 of my Big Lube(tm) Blackpowder 45 bullets. Refilling the lube takes time so the fewer times I do it the better.

runfiverun
09-22-2009, 07:43 PM
for regular boolits 3-500 is in the range of what a regular stick will do.
lars's red works pretty nice in the star,and in your guns too. takes a bit of heat but fills the grooves nicely, and stays there.

cajun shooter
09-23-2009, 08:05 AM
+1 on the Springfield post. I've been doing it for about a year now and it works great. Of course you have to make those 6 in sticks as no one makes them. Or melt and pour which I feel is too time comsuming as you have to wait for the lube to harden. Better to make them up ahead of time.

angus6
09-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the insight , going from a Lyman 450 to the Magma , have 10gals of boolits waiting to be lubed