PDA

View Full Version : Well, I bought an 1876..

j23
09-22-2009, 08:27 AM
...after deliberating on it for months... and already having bought 50-95 dies (RCBS) while they were on sale at Midway last month, I decided to just drop the bomb and buy a new 'Chappy' 1876 50-95.

720-something shipped to my FFL from CDNN.

I spoke with the sales rep, along with a guy at Chapparral about some quality control issues I have read about on Cascity and other websites. Both reps assured me that many of the older Chappy 1876 rifles had some problems and shouldnt have had left the factory. They assured me that the new ones were of later serial number ranges, and would be of excellent craftsmanship.

So... well see, Ill keep everyone abreast...if there is interest.

Im going to mount a tang sight (is that thing drilled and tapped for such?) and work up a quick load using Trailboss based upon the recommendations on this and the cascity forum by 100yd chuck, and try to kill a West VIrginia or Pennsylvania doe for the pot!!

Freebore
09-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Good luck with it and post your shooting results. I was one of the originals posting on the SASS forum about making a replica of the 1876. I would like to get one still, but picked up a Browning 1886 instead a few years back.

NickSS
09-26-2009, 10:16 PM
I have seen and shot several original 1876 winchesters that a club member owns. They all had rusted out barrels when he got them but as he is a gunsmith he relined them to their original calibers. He has one in every original caliber and I have shot them all. Personally if I were to buy a repro I would get it in 45-60 Winchester as it is the easiest to get brass for and shoots well with those crescent butt plates. I have also shot one from cimeron in 45-60 and it was a really nice rifle that was smooth as silk. Good luck with yours.