PDA

View Full Version : 35 cal Mountain Mold Came Today

arcticbreeze
09-21-2009, 09:12 PM
I ordered a mold from Mountain Molds less than 2 weeks ago and to my surprise it was here in the mail today. I did not expect it for at least a few more weeks. Well of course I had to fire up the pot and try it. I am very impress with this mold, I just hope it shoots well. The boolit is a 250 grain .360 design, with WW it drops at .361 and weighs 250.3 grains average lubed and checked. I ordered it for my Mauser action 35 Whelen with a 1-14 twist but I am also going to try it in my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. The 3rd picture is a loaded round of each seated just .003 of the lands.

By the way the lube is my home made SpeedGreen with some carnuba added.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=1332

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=1333

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=1334

yondering
09-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Oooohhh, preetty.

Sweet looking bullet. I've been thinking of ordering a similar mold from them, maybe about 280gr or so.

Any interest in a boolit swap? I'll send you a pm.

Ben
09-21-2009, 09:33 PM
arcticbreeze :

Those are fine looking bullets. I own a pair of 358 Win. rifles and also have a Ruger # 1 in 35 Whelen, Ack Imp ,40 degree.

Those would be some hard hitters out of my rifles.

I'd like to see some of your groups when you have time to test fire them.

Ben

nicholst55
09-22-2009, 12:50 AM
I like it! I can see something quite similar in the future of my Mark X Mauser .35 Whelen. What percentage is the meplat on your boolit?

waksupi
09-22-2009, 10:47 AM
I got one very similar to that from Mountain Molds. If I don't over heat the barrel, they will all shoot into one hole at 100 yards.

By the way, it was the same boolit I used on my bear, and a couple deer last year.

GLynn41
09-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Dan does good work and it looks like you designed well--go get em

arcticbreeze
09-22-2009, 06:38 PM
I like it! I can see something quite similar in the future of my Mark X Mauser .35 Whelen. What percentage is the meplat on your boolit?

It is a 65 percent meplat

yondering
12-26-2009, 11:52 PM
arcticbreeze, I've finally got some results to show for our boolit swap. I've been shooting your boolits paper patched from my 35 Whelen Ackley, and have worked up a pretty good load. I think you said the boolits you sent me were ACWW? I've been wrapping them in paper as cast, then sizing back down to .360". They are seated so the paper just touches the rifling. I'm using Reloader 15, and have worked up to a load that is definitely above published jacketed loads, but found that accuracy kept improving as more powder was added, and the velocity increase was pretty steady.

The gun is a Rem 700 with a Hogue overmolded stock, trigger job, and cheap Tasco 3-9x40 scope. The gun has a muzzle brake, but it was removed for this testing because my brake seems to catch the paper patches and ruin accuracy.

I fired the goup in the pic below today at 100 yards. Velocity was 2685 fps (ES 2672-2699). Those are 1" grid lines on the target; the group is 0.70" or slightly less, center to center. It was fired off sandbags. FWIW, the same load, but with the Saeco 352 boolit (245gr), also paper patched, averaged 2713 fps and just over 1" groups.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/zthang43/molds/IMG_2846a.jpg

edit, ignore the bullet hole at the bottom of the picture, that was from someone else's gun.

Bullshop Junior
12-27-2009, 12:21 AM
You got the lube right!

We did one similar in 270gr with a *special* part we added into the design, and it is the best 35 cal boolit ever in all of our 35 cal guns, except my Marlin 94 357. We never tried it in that.

JesterGrin_1
01-13-2010, 03:10 AM
I am just trying to gather some info on my 35 Whelen project so I have to ask is Reloader 15 the best powder to run with?

yondering
01-13-2010, 01:47 PM
I am just trying to gather some info on my 35 Whelen project so I have to ask is Reloader 15 the best powder to run with?

I can't promise that there's not a better powder out there, but it's certainly been the best I've tried. It meters well, and gives top velocities with good accuracy.

Keep in mind that in my case at least, the Whelen is purely a hunting rifle, so I haven't tried 18 different powders to find the absolute best accuracy.

This website is a useful source of info on loading the Whelen, and has some paper patch info too: http://35cal.com/

JesterGrin_1
01-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Thank You Yondering I did find the 35cal.com site. Just not a bunch of info. And felt for sure there would be some great info on our site.

And I agree I hunt so I am not really into plinking loads. :)

yondering
01-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Thank You Yondering I did find the 35cal.com site. Just not a bunch of info. And felt for sure there would be some great info on our site.

And I agree I hunt so I am not really into plinking loads. :)

I hear ya.

One caveat about Reloder 15: When I said it's the best I've tried, I'm talking about full power paper patched or jacketed loads. As a hunting rifle, I'm interested in maximum power with reasonable accuracy (see my group a few posts above). I do not know if Rl 15 would work well for reduced loads.

If you're shooting grease groove cast bullets at lower velocity, 4895 or something like that might be better, I don't really know, I haven't messed with that too much, other than light loads with Unique.

357maximum
01-13-2010, 04:35 PM
I run the 35Whelen at or just below J-word velocity with the BRP-360-220 and it kills deer dead and it runs M.O.A ..more or less when I hold my mouth right in my whelen mauser. I have had great success with H414/H4350/Rel15 at 24-2600+ fps. Alloy was 6month old WD50/50 ww/pure. It smacked one Michigan doe very dead this year.

The H4350 was the powder I chose for my hunitng rounds but all 3 shot good nuff. The H414 is easier to meter though.

JesterGrin_1
01-13-2010, 05:46 PM
The only rifle powder I have as of now is IMR-3031, IMR-4350, H-322.

So since it seems as if I need a new powder for the 35 Whelen I would like to pick one powder to run with.

And so far the Rel-15 really seems like the way to go.

arcticbreeze
01-13-2010, 07:27 PM
arcticbreeze, I've finally got some results to show for our boolit swap. I've been shooting your boolits paper patched from my 35 Whelen Ackley, and have worked up a pretty good load. I think you said the boolits you sent me were ACWW? I've been wrapping them in paper as cast, then sizing back down to .360". They are seated so the paper just touches the rifling. I'm using Reloader 15, and have worked up to a load that is definitely above published jacketed loads, but found that accuracy kept improving as more powder was added, and the velocity increase was pretty steady.

The gun is a Rem 700 with a Hogue overmolded stock, trigger job, and cheap Tasco 3-9x40 scope. The gun has a muzzle brake, but it was removed for this testing because my brake seems to catch the paper patches and ruin accuracy.

I fired the goup in the pic below today at 100 yards. Velocity was 2685 fps (ES 2672-2699). Those are 1" grid lines on the target; the group is 0.70" or slightly less, center to center. It was fired off sandbags. FWIW, the same load, but with the Saeco 352 boolit (245gr), also paper patched, averaged 2713 fps and just over 1" groups.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/zthang43/molds/IMG_2846a.jpg

edit, ignore the bullet hole at the bottom of the picture, that was from someone else's gun.

I have to admit you have done much better than I have with this boolit. I have not dedicated much time to it yet but the best so far has been 1.2" at 50yds with H4198. The same load was almost 4" at 100 yds. That was with boolits sized at .360 and lubed with Speed Green. I have tried to pp but the attempts to this point have been futile. Now that hunting season has ended I plan to put some more time into this boolit. Also funny enough the Saeco 352s that you sent me have been better performers.

357maximum
01-13-2010, 07:41 PM
The only rifle powder I have as of now is IMR-3031, IMR-4350, H-322.

So since it seems as if I need a new powder for the 35 Whelen I would like to pick one powder to run with.

And so far the Rel-15 really seems like the way to go.

Give the IMR4350 a try...you may just like it.

Only one powder to load a cartridge with sounds rather sorta kind of boring to me.[smilie=l::groner:

Blammer
01-13-2010, 08:36 PM
4350 should be good in that. :)

yondering
01-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Give the IMR4350 a try...you may just like it.

Only one powder to load a cartridge with sounds rather sorta kind of boring to me.[smilie=l::groner:

I second that, although you should also try Rl 15. Can't have too many powders!

I've used 4350, H414, and H380 with jacketed loads; all performed acceptably well but weren't quite as good as Rl 15. H414 and H380 sure do meter nice though!

yondering
01-13-2010, 09:26 PM
I have to admit you have done much better than I have with this boolit. I have not dedicated much time to it yet but the best so far has been 1.2" at 50yds with H4198. The same load was almost 4" at 100 yds. That was with boolits sized at .360 and lubed with Speed Green. I have tried to pp but the attempts to this point have been futile. Now that hunting season has ended I plan to put some more time into this boolit. Also funny enough the Saeco 352s that you sent me have been better performers.

FWIW, my accuracy with this boolit wasn't real impressive with lighter loads; it kept getting better up to my max load. At 2500 fps I was getting ~1.5" groups @ 100 yards.

I haven't tried your boolits with a gas check and lube yet, only paper patched.

Want me to send you a patch template for this boolit? PM me an email address, I'll send it as a word document. If you prefer, I'll cut up 20-30 patches and send them to you, I don't mind.

I'm just using plain white printer paper. Get it wet in a small bowl of warm water, and lay the patch flat on the table with the end hanging off the edge. Wrap the bullet, and give it a good firm roll with your finger across the table when it's wrapped, then lightly twist the tail (or fold the base in, depending on the patch). Once they're dry, clip off the tails, lube very lightly with case sizing wax, and run through a .359" Lee sizer (they will end up at .360" because of paper springback). Then they're ready to load. Flare the case a little more than you would for lead boolits, and seat to contact the rifling firmly. I crimp only enough to partly remove the flare, so it will chamber.

JesterGrin_1
01-13-2010, 11:30 PM
My plan as of this time is to go with the 358009 Boolit in the 35 Whelen. As I would rather shoot cast over jacket but the option is open.

Blammer I think the IMR-4350 should work ok but I have been reading so much I think I will need thicker reading glasses lol. And the 4350 does not meter well but for as little of them I would shoot I do not mind to trickle the powder to the correct weight.

But again from everything I have read the RL-15 powder will give the best speed without the worry of pressure as well as good groups :).

On a side note Blammer I decided on the 35 Whelen since you can purchase new brass from Remington in 35 Whelen not to mention factory rounds if need be and the die set for the 35 Whelen is almost half the cost for the same set for the 35 Whelen AI.

arcticbreeze
01-14-2010, 03:42 PM
FWIW, my accuracy with this boolit wasn't real impressive with lighter loads; it kept getting better up to my max load. At 2500 fps I was getting ~1.5" groups @ 100 yards.

I haven't tried your boolits with a gas check and lube yet, only paper patched.

Want me to send you a patch template for this boolit? PM me an email address, I'll send it as a word document. If you prefer, I'll cut up 20-30 patches and send them to you, I don't mind.

I'm just using plain white printer paper. Get it wet in a small bowl of warm water, and lay the patch flat on the table with the end hanging off the edge. Wrap the bullet, and give it a good firm roll with your finger across the table when it's wrapped, then lightly twist the tail (or fold the base in, depending on the patch). Once they're dry, clip off the tails, lube very lightly with case sizing wax, and run through a .359" Lee sizer (they will end up at .360" because of paper springback). Then they're ready to load. Flare the case a little more than you would for lead boolits, and seat to contact the rifling firmly. I crimp only enough to partly remove the flare, so it will chamber.

Thanks, I would like that. I will pm you.

yondering
01-14-2010, 06:31 PM
But again from everything I have read the RL-15 powder will give the best speed without the worry of pressure as well as good groups :).

Just thought I better re-iterate: my comments about the benefits of RL-15 have all been for full power loads. By full power, I mean 2500+ fps with bullets of 240gr and up. It may or may not work well for grease groove bullets at lower velocity and pressure. You are right about not needing to be as concerned about pressure, within reason.

If you do plan on shooting full power loads, you may have a hard time getting there with a grease groove bullet, but the 358009 is a good choice in that case. If you plan to paper patch, the 358009 isn't the best choice, since a patch correctly applied up to the nose will require excessively deep seating in the case, unless your rifle has a very long throat.

357maximum
01-15-2010, 12:48 AM
I second that, although you should also try Rl 15. Can't have too many powders!

I've used 4350, H414, and H380 with jacketed loads; all performed acceptably well but weren't quite as good as Rl 15. H414 and H380 sure do meter nice though!

I tried it..it worked well with j-words , but not AS well as with cast as the ones I have listed. I am one of them sick people that do more load testing than load using.:bigsmyl2: I guess I am just never happy.......character flaw I guess. My 357Max is the only caliber I have ever gotten to the point where I will sit down and load 500+ of one load at a time.....I have issues but they do not count if you know they exist...right?

and you cannot have too many powder types I agree :)