PDA

View Full Version : Casting with Bismuth

O.S.O.K.
09-21-2009, 07:07 PM
I see that bismuth melts at 520 degrees. I also know that its density is close to that of lead - thus its use in shot loads.

So, is this stuff brittle? What about alloys?

I was just thinking it may be the answer for hunters in need of non-toxic boolits - that they can cast themselves....

jdgabbard
09-21-2009, 08:49 PM
I seem to remember a thread on this a while back. I don't remember what the verdict was, but someone in the know commented on this. You might try the search, it might turn something up...

scrapcan
09-22-2009, 10:07 AM
look for an old post by Floodgate. He does not post here anylonger but can be foudn at the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors forum. Or you can pm me and I will forward contact info. He did a bit of work with bismuth, both casting and swaging.

O.S.O.K.
09-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks. I was just curious. Fortunately for me, lead is still just fine where I hunt.

Bulletlube
09-22-2009, 07:10 PM
I posted before Bismuth very hard and brittle had to mix 50/50 with tin to get to act like linotype when hit with a hammer. I used a Lee .44- 310 mold and they came out at 240 grs.

O.S.O.K.
09-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Hmm, tin and bismuth is still non-toxic. Actually, that might make a good business venture if the lead-free "stuff" spreads. I certainly hope it doesn't... the tin and bismuth are quite pricey compared to lead alloy.

I wonder how your 50/50 alloy shoots compared to a copper bullet?

Does it drop from the mold the correct size? I mean for the mold... equivalent to lead.

243winxb
09-23-2009, 07:40 AM
More on the subject here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=63144 I find that Google does a better search. 50/50 bismuth/tin One 200gr cast bullet would cost $.34 each if you go by Rotometals prices per pound.

Bob Krack
09-23-2009, 07:55 AM
look for an old post by Floodgate. He does not post here anylonger but can be foudn at the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors forum. Or you can pm me and I will forward contact info. He did a bit of work with bismuth, both casting and swaging.
I dunno.... He seems to be still here, I just mostly see him in the "casting for shotguns" forum. Several times this month and just day before yestiday.

Bob

scrapcan
09-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Bob,

Floodgage does visit but is not as active as I would like to see. He is a great resource and a good guy all around. One thing to note is the ARTCA website and forums are down for re-construction and a person has to have someplace to go, and here is as good as any.

Bulletlube
09-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Stepson told my that at 50 feet on a swinging 1/2in. plate they put a 3/8 in. dent in the plate.
When two hit in the same spot they opened a hole in the plate.