PDA

View Full Version : T-Mag vs Lee breechlock???

dragonrider
09-21-2009, 02:20 PM
I have a Lyman T-mag and and considering getting a Lee Breechlock to replace it. I am continuously changing out diies in the T-mag so I am thinking the Lee will be an improvement?? I am NOT considering a Hornady LNL, too many $$$. Thoughts????

OldBob
09-22-2009, 05:20 AM
Lee Classic Turret w/ extra die heads ??? I love mine........

cajun shooter
09-22-2009, 08:23 AM
I have a Dillon 550 that gets my big jobs. I also have the breechlock which I bought to do those small jobs. I then bought the Lee Classic Turret and I'm a happy camper. Buy the Lee Classic with extra turrets. You can use it as a progressive or as a single station. If you miss a stage you can go back easy with it. I love it!! It's about half as fast as the Dillon with me running it.

jmorris
09-22-2009, 08:36 AM
At one time I had both a Lee classic turret and a T-mag but I gave the Lee to a friend when he wanted to start reloading. It takes a little longer to change turrets on the t-mag but they hold more dies and the t-mag is better built IMOP.

dragonrider
09-22-2009, 11:44 AM
I have about come to think the T-Mag is not so good a press. The turret use to tip a lot when loading, especialy when sizing. I did some machine work on it and have reduced the tiilt to about 1/3 of what it what but it still bothers me, and I don't see a way to reduce it any further. This is the biggest reason for why I want to replace it. I have two Lee pro 1000's and have a tilt issue with those as well but I can live it as I am only loading 380's and 9mm's on them, so I am thinking there wll also be a tilt issure with the Classic turret. Hopefull some users will post about it. At least with an "O" type press your pressure is directed to the center of the frame. I also have a Lee challenger press and the tilt problem is non existant with that one, although it being an aluminum press a stretch issue does come into play, hence the reason I was thinking of the Breechlock and one can change dies quicker than in the Challenger. I should also note that I will only be loading rifle only on this press. So is my thinking on track or am I tilting at windmills.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Paul,

I owned a T-mag, have owned the Lee Classic Turret and still own a Hornady LnL. The Lee Classic Turret was an enormous improvement over the T-mag, but as I sold off a lot of milsurps, I quit using it and loaded larger quantities on my Hornady LnL.

That said, I also own a Lee Classic Cast single stage setup with a Hornady LnL bushing conversion kit. This is one really fine single stage press and with the Hornady bushings, is faster and significantly more accurate than my Lyman T-mag ever was. Additionally, changing dies is very fast and with the other features it comes with, my single stage is optimized for production of rifle rounds when I need it.

My recommendation would be get either the Lee Classic Turret or a Lee Classic Cast Single stage with a Hornady LnL bushing conversion kit. Two top quality options to solve your problems.

Regards,

Dave

Frozone
09-22-2009, 07:02 PM
I've got the LEE "Breech Lock". It does a good job but has a few quirks.
"Stretch" is not an issue, nor is play in the bushings, What is the worst is the cost of the bushings. 3 or 4 bushings per die set is NOT cost effective. I think I'll go with the LEE 4 hole turret press next and only use the "Breech Lock" for odd jobs.

Maven
09-22-2009, 07:03 PM
The newer T-Mag's (ca. early 1990's; gray hammertone finish) have an adjustable bolt that the turret bears on which reduces the tilt to almost nothing. I've been very pleased with mine, but I only use it for loading .38Spl., .357Mag. and .44Mag. ammo.

dragonrider
09-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Dave, where did you get this, it is not listed on Lee's websight.

"Hornady LnL bushing conversion kit."

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Paul

Try Hornady's website. It converts presses with a large die opening (RCBS Rock Chucker and Lee Classic Cast single stage) into being capable of accepting the Hornady LnL bushings for a high quality quick change on a single stage.

Comes with a conversion bushing and 3 lock N load bushings.

Dave