PDA

View Full Version : Taking the shine off Vaquero sights

Gray Fox
09-21-2009, 01:30 PM
I didn't know whether to post this here or in gunsmithing, but here goes. I used to shoot a lot of cowboy action shooting and have a pair of nicely matched 4 5/8 .45 Colt Vaqueros in the polished stainless finish. I no longer shoot that game, and want to carry one as a back up gun in an area with lots of hogs. My problem is the shiny rear notch and front blade sights. I can dull them some with a black Sharpie, but it rubs off quickly in a holster. Anyone have a solution? Thanks, GF

txbirdman
09-21-2009, 02:18 PM
My solution to your problem is fingernail polish. My daughter when in high school had some outrageous colors. I'm still using the lime green to paint front sights. You can also get it it black and about anyother color you want. Pickup some fingernail polish remover in case you change your mind.

Heavy lead
09-21-2009, 02:35 PM
I filed a 45 degree flat on both my Vaquero stainless bisley's (as well as one blued also) and checkered it to take glare away.

Gray Fox
09-21-2009, 03:01 PM
TXBirdman:

I love the fingernail polish idea, and your color picks. I'll bet that once the black on the rear sights is very dry, that a light buff with 0000 steel wool will yield a matte finish. I'll try it and let you know. The folks on this site always seem to have an answer to most anything. Thanks, GF

EMC45
09-21-2009, 03:17 PM
I have a Testors model paint pen in flat black I use for sights.