PDA

View Full Version : S&W M64 at the range

O.S.O.K.
09-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Well, I decided to cast some boolits for my "new" model 64 and load them up. Used the Lyman keith mold - 166 grains as cast - plain base wadcutters. I used wheel weights and some tin and lubed with Lee liq alox. These boolits dropped from the mold at .358-.359", so they just slid through my Lee sizer die - only touching a bit to bring into uniform round. They did fit tight in the chamber mouths of the revolver though and were an obvious good fit in the bore.

I loaded them over 5 grains of Unique (about 900 fps) and 5.4 grains of Alliant Power Pistol (about 950 fps).

The results weren't that great. Shooting at 25 yards, both loads shot to the point of aim alright but they spread out to 8" or so. I can shoot much better than that - and indeed the results were the same when I pulled up a barrel and rested my forarms on the benchtop.

The barrel also leaded some but not the hard leading that you get with gas cutting - accept at the very lip of the forcing cone... this leading cleaned out easily. One groove had some leading ribboning for about an inch but this cleared out as I shot.

So, I'm thinking that the alloy that I used was too hard for this application. These boolits may be just fine for medium .357 loads or +P 38 Special loads. But, the +P velocity will push the point of impact lower - something I don't want.

I'm going to make a nother stab at these boolits using 20-1 alloy and probably with the 5 grans of Uniqe again and see how that does.

Interestingly, my Ruger .44 Special does great with this alloy and lube and almost the identical boolit design - but at +P pressure. No leading at all accept for a little "dust" which is inevitable with cast loads.

Any thougts of those with experience with this specific situation would be appreciated. :)