PDA

View Full Version : The spaniard

357maximum
09-20-2009, 09:41 PM
My new spanish 308 cast boolit launcher 1day into it's transformation...getting lighter....and lighter...and lighter.:twisted:

I wasn't going to butcher the original stock, but seeing as how it had some serious dry rot up front, it got bobbed and will make do until I can find a nice sporter stock.

There are posts of this in finished form elsewhere on the forum as well as some shooting done with it....Use the search......I am no longer here. I called a spade a spade and asked to be banned when nothing was done about the spade....I committed suicide by internet cop and I can breathe easier now....that spade is your problem now.

09-20-2009, 10:27 PM
I bobed one like that once and installed an ebony nose on the stock. It was an 1895 Mauser and the old military stock was beat to kingdom come. Once I got into reshapeing and sanding, etc, I found it was some of the nicest walnut I've ever seen. Lots of wavey ripples and interesting grains. Turned out to be utterly stunning. You just never know.

WILCO
09-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Dude!!!

Run that dog over and around a belt sander and she'll be sweeter than peach pie!!!!!! I did that to my little SS Ruger 10/22:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/jato321/riflered.jpg

The red squirrel recieved a double tap to the head (Mafia style, behind the ear...) before plunging from the tree.........

357maximum
09-20-2009, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=WILCO;670351]Dude!!!

Run that dog over and around a belt sander and she'll be sweeter than peach pie!!!!!! I did that to my little SS Ruger 10/22:

QUOTE]

As soon as the dowel I glued into the cleaning rod hole is dry....that is perzactly whats gonna happen.:drinks: :redneck:

45nut
09-20-2009, 11:58 PM
love seeing them stickers in pics ! Nice handy platform for launchin' boolits too!

Dutch4122
09-21-2009, 04:56 AM
Glad to see she's starting to take shape into what you want. Hope the Lyman sight fits that base you ordered.:D

357maximum
09-21-2009, 06:25 PM
The wood sucked up all my glue and I was able to pull the dowel out.....

I am kinda glad that happened....:idea:BECAUSE I HAVE A MO BETTA IDEA:idea:

I am thinking poured pewter nosecap kinda like a fronstuffer used to get....I know it is spose to be German silver...but I have pewter................hows that for a hairbrained thought??????????

waksupi
09-21-2009, 07:50 PM
The wood sucked up all my glue and I was able to pull the dowel out.....

I am kinda glad that happened....:idea:BECAUSE I HAVE A MO BETTA IDEA:idea:

I am thinking poured pewter nosecap kinda like a fronstuffer used to get....I know it is spose to be German silver...but I have pewter................hows that for a hairbrained thought??????????

I use Nickleloy babbit for nose caps, works fine!

357maximum
09-21-2009, 09:00 PM
I use Nickleloy babbit for nose caps, works fine!

I have some of that.......KEWL...........still have some wood to remove, but I am almost there.

09-22-2009, 12:58 AM
My uncle poured a nose cap on a muzzleloader he made for me back in the late '60's. KWEL indeed. That would be dandy. Keep the arts alive.

357maximum
09-22-2009, 04:33 AM
...............:( that did not go so well...........ended up filling the cleaning rod hole full of lead.despite my best efforts to prevent that from happening....broke my "stud" for attaching the lead tip off..now the stock is shorter and heavier up front.........gonna have to break down and buy a sporter stock I spose.......oh well..it was gonna happen at some point anyway.............

357maximum
09-27-2009, 10:57 AM
I fixed the nose cap with Boyd's help[smilie=l:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/goodstart003.jpg

Took me about 16hrs to fully inlet it with hand tools.....NO POWER, and no dremel was used. wood karving kit/chisels/files/ ingenuity/patience and emery cloth.

Bret4207
09-27-2009, 12:42 PM
357, you going to sweep that bolt back a few degrees? She's looking good!

waksupi
09-27-2009, 02:34 PM
I am proud of you, that you didn't use a Dremel!!!!!!!

357maximum
09-27-2009, 05:22 PM
357, you going to sweep that bolt back a few degrees? She's looking good!

I have no plans of a bolt mod at this time.........not to say it will not happen at somepoint....but if I start messin with the bolt the next thing you know she will have glass parked on top, and I wanted one bolt gun that I cannot scope mount.

I am a weak man and I wanted this built so that I cannot mount a scope...it helps fight the temptation to do so.

I was shooting about 1.5+ MOA with the issue battle sights and the BRP 30 Silhouette that has a nose that fits it like a glove........with the receiver sight added I am hoping to better that.

It is gonna be a unique/reddot loaded range gun mostly....but I will not keep an unblooded deer capable rifle around so I will pop a buck with it to make it earn it's keep.:evil:

357maximum
09-27-2009, 05:30 PM
I am proud of you, that you didn't use a Dremel!!!!!!!

DREMEL......ruining fine firearms since 1932.:mrgreen:

I simply did not want it to "get away from me" so I fought the temptation to break it out. They are good tools for alot of things...but I simply did not want 'WANDERING TRACKS" from the burr across my $100 stock.

GrizzLeeBear
09-27-2009, 08:13 PM
I agree, leave the bolt alone and keep the peep sight. It can be suprising how accurate you can shoot with peep sights, something a lot of hunters have forgotten. Most deer, etc. are shot at an average of 75 yds. yet everyone has to have glass that they think they can shoot at 1000 yds. I think the old Spaniard will make a dandy light weight woods companion. A scope would just make it more cumbersom / fragile.
It looks like you might have to take a little wood off the comb to get proper eye alignment on the peep sight and keep it from thumping you in the cheek. Being a sporter stock it is set up for a scope.
I've got a nice stripped 98 action and a new 8x57 military stepped barrel that I intend to build such a rifle with. I even have a Lyman peep sight for it when ever I get it put together.

357maximum
09-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Andy

I think it is gonna be fine as is...surprised me too.

Dutch4122
09-27-2009, 10:14 PM
She's lookin' good Mikey! Ya gotta love it when a plan starts to take shape!

357maximum
09-27-2009, 10:39 PM
She's lookin' good Mikey! Ya gotta love it when a plan starts to take shape!

Yeppers/thanks,and I only have 3 bloody/blistered spots on my fingers. Somewhere way down the line I think I will basket weave the grip and forend.........still playing on scrap wood and not ready to make that JUMP for real yet.

I have two more spaniards in 7mm coming to the stable real soon....sounds like a lot of FUN are stored in them "projects" :) . 1 is already bubbae'd pretty good by the sound of it......we shall see.

Frank46
09-27-2009, 10:40 PM
357Max, hey the stock looks great. Just trim the forend and get it square drill matching holes in the stock and ebony coat with ackra glass gell and clamp together and let sit for a couple days then you can carve, rout, file or chew out the barrel channel then form thr outside of the ebony. Should look good. Frank