PDA

View Full Version : Norma MRP?

TDC
09-20-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm down to my last 4 pounds of Norma MRP powder. Nothing performs better in my Ruger No.1 270 or or .338. Consistent 1/2" groups with both guns using Nosler Partitions.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with information on this powder. I've heard it's being imported but nothing about a source, especially on the west coast. If a new MRP is being sold in the U.S. I'd like to know if it's the same product as that marketed 20 years ago (burn rate, etc.) and if there is any available reloading information.

Anyone else use it?

Thanks for your help!!

TDC

felix
09-20-2009, 08:08 PM
You can bet that the new version, if it does exist, will not be the same. It's too bad the powder distributors do not provide small cans of a bunch of powders in the same speed range so one can be picked out from the same lot as in the small can. Now, that would be nice, eh? ... felix

wiljen
09-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Powder Valley or Grafs Carrys Norma MRP - it aint cheap but they do have it and will ship.

Bullshop
09-20-2009, 09:20 PM
I believe one of the reloader powders, I think #22 is the same as and from the same place as Norma MRP (magnum rifle powder)
Check your burn rate chart.
Also if you have access to the Wolf publication Propelent Profiles I think you will find confirmation of the two powders being the same.
Blessings
BIC/BS

TDC
09-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the replies...

I did a web search and was amazed to find the following Norma U.S. distributor information. The following are listed as Norma products distributors. No indication if powders were included with their inventories...

I'm posting what I discovered. I was surprised to see Midway and Huntington listed in their lineup.....

For others who may be interested.....

USA

A M M U N I T I O N & C O M P O N E N T D I S T R I B U T O R

BLACK HILLS SHOOTERS SUPPLY

Rapid City, SD 57709-4220

Phone +1 605 348 44 77

bhss@rapidnet.com
www.bhshooters.com

R E T A I L E R D E A L E R

CABELAS'S INC.

One Cabela Drive

Sidney, Nebraska 69162

(800) 237-4444

http://www.cabelas.com/

W H O L E S A L E D E A L E R S

CAMFOUR, INC.

Phone: (413) 564-2300

http://www.camfour.com/

C O M P O N E N T D I S T R I B U T O R S

GRAF & SONS, INC.

Mexico, MO 65265

Phone +1 573 581 22 66

customerservice@grafs.com

http://www.grafs.com/

HUNTINGTON

Oroville, CA 95965

Phone +1 530 534 12 10

buy@huntingtons.com

http://www.huntingtons.com/

MIDWAY USA

Columbia, MO 65203-9274

Phone +1 800 243 32 20

customerservice@midwayusa.com

http://www.midwayusa.com/

SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL

Fort Wayne, IN 46803

Phone +1 219 493 18 58

support@sinclairintl.com

http://www.sinclairintl.com/

USSR
09-23-2009, 06:23 PM
I believe one of the reloader powders, I think #22 is the same as and from the same place as Norma MRP (magnum rifle powder)

Yep! RL22 is the same powder with just a slightly different coating.

Don

Sven
09-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Yep! RL22 is the same powder with just a slightly different coating.

Don

Interesting. No wonder I like RL22 so well!

Heavy lead
09-23-2009, 09:42 PM
FWIW I use R-22 in 25-06, 270, 300Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 338 Ultra and 416 Rigby and have had great accuracy and velocity in all those as well as others that have come and gone, it's my standard "magnum" powder I start and usually finish load developement with and much easier to obtain than MRP.

TDC
09-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks again, everyone! I learn something new here every day!

I'd sure love to hear from someone who has used both the old MRP and the R 22 in the same rifle using the identical components..... I'm going to use my remaining old MRP to compare the two and I'll be very pleased if the result is the same....

It's great to know people are having the same experience with R 22 as that opens up new options as well as availability.

Terry

Cap'n Morgan
09-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Here's a homepage listing and comparing the different brand names of Bofors produced powders (Norma, Rhino RWS and Alliant). Many handloaders over here, myself included, has switched from Norma to Rhino as Rhino is some 30% cheaper for the exact same powder.

http://www.bushman.dk/sider/genladning/data/ladedata.htm

swheeler
09-25-2009, 10:29 AM
If I'm not mistaken Winchester marketed rx22/mrp as WXR for a couple years and then dropped it.

azrednek
10-08-2009, 11:26 PM
In the early or mid-70's I had a loading manual from Norma. According to the manual MRP was the powder developed and used in Norma's factory loaded 308 Norma. I used it faithfully in my Voere 308 Norma rifle until it was dropped by USA distributors. I've tried other powders in my Voere but have never been able to get the same shot to shot accuracy I got with the MRP. Cronys were out of reach for other than millionaires in the 70's so I could never verify it. Norma claimed higher velocity in their factory 308 Norma Mag than the larger cased factory loaded 300 Winchester.

My favorite local dealer has a can of MRP sitting on his shelf. Unfortunately I lost my reloading notes in a housefire and don't think my aging bones would stand up to the brutal recoil developing a load again for my Voere. Even though the MRP is high priced I'm tempted to buy it every time I visit the store. If I knew for certain it was the same as the old powder I'd take it.

TDC
10-09-2009, 02:51 AM
In the early or mid-70's I had a loading manual from Norma. According to the manual MRP was the powder developed and used in Norma's factory loaded 308 Norma. I used it faithfully in my Voere 308 Norma rifle until it was dropped by USA distributors. I've tried other powders in my Voere but have never been able to get the same shot to shot accuracy I got with the MRP. Cronys were out of reach for other than millionaires in the 70's so I could never verify it. Norma claimed higher velocity in their factory 308 Norma Mag than the larger cased factory loaded 300 Winchester.

My favorite local dealer has a can of MRP sitting on his shelf. Unfortunately I lost my reloading notes in a housefire and don't think my aging bones would stand up to the brutal recoil developing a load again for my Voere. Even though the MRP is high priced I'm tempted to buy it every time I visit the store. If I knew for certain it was the same as the old powder I'd take it.

I hear ya on the old MRP, azrednek......

If it would help your decision on the can that's available to you, my remaining cans show a product number 93215 and a lot number 055276 as a reference. All my MRP was purchased in 1969 or 70. It performs as well today as it did then. The price is still on a can and it was comparatively expensive back then too. Would you believe $4.34 and that was the stores retail!!.... Everyone was buying Hodgdon and IMR 4831 and 4350 because it was about .50 to .75c a pound cheaper... My, how the times have changed....

I have several friends who are constantly searching for the old stuff. We're all doing our best to encourage the local Sportsman's Warehouse to handle the new MRP, but without much luck. As Felix said, It would probably be different anyway....:cry:

Terry

TDC
10-09-2009, 03:05 AM
Here's a homepage listing and comparing the different brand names of Bofors produced powders (Norma, Rhino RWS and Alliant). Many handloaders over here, myself included, has switched from Norma to Rhino as Rhino is some 30% cheaper for the exact same powder.

http://www.bushman.dk/sider/genladning/data/ladedata.htm

Thanks for the info, Cap'n Morgan,

I'll be checking sources in the U.S.

I was in Copenhagen last year and thought about driving over to Malmo, Sweden to pick up some MRP. Then the reality of trying to take it on the plane and bring it into the U.S. reminded me of the futility of doing that. Ah... if the world could be a better place....

Terry

Cap'n Morgan
10-09-2009, 12:16 PM
I was in Copenhagen last year and thought about driving over to Malmo, Sweden to pick up some MRP. Then the reality of trying to take it on the plane and bring it into the U.S. reminded me of the futility of doing that. Ah... if the world could be a better place....

I had a friend bringing a couple of powder cans in from Norway by plane. He removed the labels and added new ones reading "Tumbling media" :D

Of course this was before 9/11. Today a stunt like that would land you in jail for sure.