PDA

View Full Version : Lead sheet

huesos
09-20-2009, 11:55 AM
I have some lead sheet with spray on adhesive residue. I am expecting some sort of negative result in smelting this stuff. Are there any steps that I can take to come out with a better result?

castingagain
09-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Yes, do it while your wife is gone.
This negates most negative outcomes.
It will smelt fine, just stink, and as in any process,don't breath it, never do it indoors,whether your wife is home or not.
Tar on roof sheeting is another common residue we have to deal with and I have found a serving spoon that is flatter is a Much better skimming tool than any type dipper/scoop I've ever used because it "flash heats" so the good lead pours off real fast just leaving the junk.
Dan
P.S. Once again, DON'T, Do Not, use one of your Wife's spoons, don't use anything plated. The dollar store spoons marked Stainless work great. get the longest and don't overheat and the plastic handle won't even come off.

sqlbullet
09-20-2009, 12:39 PM
I find flaming the melt helps a bunch to reduce the smoke and fumes. I use sawdust and used motor oil and let it burn out.

huesos
09-21-2009, 10:34 AM
So what you are saying is that you are using wax or sawdust flux to accelerate the ignition of the glue? This whole fluxing business is mysterious, but having accomplished it, should I expect all the glue to have burned off? I have about 150 lbs of this now and expect to be getting more.

John Boy
09-21-2009, 10:43 AM
*** Order one of these propane torchs from Harbor Freight - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91033
You will need it to guickly melt the sheets and also burn off the paper backing
*** Fold the sheets and put in cast iron pot outdoors and you can make quick work melting them down.

Sheet lead runs between Bhn 5.1 to 5.4

cbrick
09-21-2009, 04:56 PM
So what you are saying is that you are using wax or sawdust flux to accelerate the ignition of the glue? This whole fluxing business is mysterious, but having accomplished it, should I expect all the glue to have burned off? I have about 150 lbs of this now and expect to be getting more.

The fluxing business is a mystery even to the most experienced so don't feel bad there, just be thankfull that it works. I use striaght up saw dust with great results and it leaves no residue in the pot, the reason I stopped using Marvelux several years ago.

Yes, much like smelting stick-on wheel weights, the ones with foam tape on the back, it'll stink and smoke awesome bad but will foat on top, fluxing the metal once skimming off the gunk will give nice clean metal.

Rick

sqlbullet
09-21-2009, 04:56 PM
yes, the oil provides an accelerant to ignite. The sawdust and it's ashes provide a binder for any non-flammable liquids left behind to bind to.

I have about 500 lbs of lead in my garage with adhesive tape on both sides. I always end up with a glob of light brown goo in the molten lead. Then I flux with oil/sawdust and flame, and when I am done I just have ashes and cinders on top of very pretty lead.