PDA

View Full Version : Converting Berdan 7.62 x 25 to something reloadable

GDC
09-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Hello all

I've been hanging onto Berdan primed 7.62x25 brass for a while now and have a pretty good collection. I decided to have a go with converting it. I read all the threads I could find about converting, but all were about rifle caliber conversions. My main reason is to see if I can do it, but with brass getting harder to come by, if I am successful I will convert more.

I drilled several cases to accept 209 shotgun primers by drilling through with a C drill and counterboring with a 21/64 bit to seat the battery cup. The cases turned out nice and the primers set flush, but as I was looking at it I realized that the shotgun primer sticks into the case quite a bit, reducing case capacity. I typically load 5 grains of Red Dot behind a 93 grain cast round nose for the Tokarev round, but I figure on backing off to 2 to start and work up because of the reduced case capacity.

I also had the bright idea of drilling the Berdan pocket out with a #17 drill, 0.11" deep to seat a large pistol primer. Priming these cases is a little stiff, but they go in and I like the looks of them better than the shotgun primers. On these I figure on starting at 4 grains of Red Dot and working up from there.

I should know better than to ask this, but I will anyway: Any thoughts on this plan? Has anyone else attempted this with handgun brass?

Thanks
Greg

StarMetal
09-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Waste of time since there is brass available. It's also dangerous should you load one hot and the 7.62x25 is a high pressure little round.

Joe

GDC
09-19-2009, 08:30 PM
HI Joe

I agree that 7.62x25 brass is being made commercially, but for the last several months it has been anything but available. Everyplace is out of stock. I have an order thats been backordered for 2 months now. Same story for boxer primed loaded ammo. I do however appreciate the advice. The more I think about it, the more I'm not liking the shotgun primer approach due to the reasons you cited.

Greg