PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550B

jsizemore
09-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Thinking of buying a 550B. Has anybody had any experience dealing with eguns.com or edsreloadersandbrass.com? Neither charge for shipping. If both are a headache, I'll pay the shipping to Dillon (it just kills me to pay a dime more then I have to) to not have to put up with a bunch of mess. Anybody?

cajun shooter
09-19-2009, 06:45 PM
If it's new in the box it does not matter where you buy it. The Dillon warranty will still be there. Go for the best at your door offer.

Throckmorton
09-19-2009, 07:14 PM
there is no such thing as free shippping of course,it's in the price.The best price is what you want,bottom line.I'd be surprised if anyone could beat buying direct from Dillon,be very careful about what all is included in eash package,that sometimes is the deal-maker...or breaker.

Storydude
09-19-2009, 07:25 PM
www.grafs.com

:drinks:

Alchemist
09-19-2009, 07:42 PM
I've seen the 550B listed by edsreloadingandbrass.com for what seemed a better price than Dillon, but it did not mention whether or not it comes with a caliber conversion as they do direct from Dillon. Make sure of what you're getting for your money. Currently a conversion unit is $41.95 from Dillon. That doesn't include dies either.

I've had my 550B since 1992...great machine. No machine is perfect, but I'd get a 550B again if I was going to go progressive.

Trey45
09-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I bought my 2nd 550b from Dillon direct, didn't need a conversion or a die set, so paid less, and they only charged 10 bucks to ship it. See who has the cheapest to your door price and buy from them. You deal with Dillon for warranty and parts ordering, if you bought your machine from eds reloaders and you need warranty repair or parts, you contact Dillon directly, not eds.

housedad
09-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Brian Enos sells Dillon.

He does it at the Dillon price but does not charge shippingfor orders over $400. Your 550B alone would be more than that.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.550.html

cajun shooter
09-21-2009, 09:05 AM
If you can spend the extra dollars at this time then it would behove you to buy the following items. The strong mount, bullet tray, and case tray set up. These items will help make your loading faster and easier.

Ken 45LC
09-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I'll second the Brian Enos suggestion. He'll walk you through everything and make sure you get what you need, and has (or used to) certain packages available to save a little on the cost. If you check out his web site you can pick up a few tricks on using any of the Dillon presses. Shipping is free over a dollar amount (can't remember the amount), and is just as fast as ordering from Dillon.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Shiloh
09-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I can't say where the best place to purchase is, but you are getting a quality machine in the Dillon 550B. Mine is second hand.

I have had parts wear out, I broke part in a cross country move, I damage parts from carelessness. I always told Dillon, Yep, it's second hand and it broke because it was my fault. It wore out because of heavy use. Dillon sent the parts and wouldn't let me even pay the shipping. Wouldn't here of it. GREAT customer service from Dillon.

Shiloh

jsizemore
09-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Well, I decided to do Grafs. I added a Lee taper crimp die to the order to go with the RCBS set I've used for the past 15 years. Thanks for everybody's input.

Rockchucker
09-21-2009, 09:14 PM
If you can spend the extra dollars at this time then it would behove you to buy the following items. The strong mount, bullet tray, and case tray set up. These items will help make your loading faster and easier.

Ditto on what cajun shooter said, makes it a pleasure to reload.

Ugly Dwarf
09-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Another vote for Brian Enos. He has some great info at his site for making decisions on what to buy, he'll pick up the freight charges (drop shipped from Dillon) if you spend over $400 (as mentioned above) and offers a discount on the package described by cajun shooter.

While there, you can buy any additional accessories (tool heads, powder dies and caliber conversions for other calibers, etc...) and get them included in your free shipping.

He seems to ship the same or next day, so you'll get your stuff quickly.

Dwarf

Maj Dad
09-24-2009, 11:38 PM
The height at which you load will affect whether or not you need the strong mount. I did not get one because I use a low bench and sit in a rolling office chair ($1.50 at a surplus store in Alamogordo, NM - couldn't pass on that one ;) ); the strong mount would put it too high. I do have a high work bench that it would be appropriate for, but I like my old setup. I used a plywood base to mate it to the bench with 1/4" bolts so I can move it if I want (hasn't moved in 10 years). Great gear, unbeatable in all respects, IMHO - my 2 cents.