PDA

View Full Version : 500 yard ground hog

bobthenailer
04-16-2006, 06:46 PM
a group of men were talking about ground hog hunting 1 man said he shot them all the time at 3 to 5 hundred yards ,and he was thinking about putting a scope on his rifle for this coming season so he can get them at longer ranges. i kept my mouth shut on this one

imashooter2
04-16-2006, 07:49 PM
a group of men were talking about ground hog hunting 1 man said he shot them all the time at 3 to 5 hundred yards ,and he was thinking about putting a scope on his rifle for this coming season so he can get them at longer ranges. i kept my mouth shut on this one

He must bench rest. I can't go more than 200 offhand.[smilie=1:

versifier
04-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Was this the same guy that shoots the quarters? I don't think I could see a woodchuck at 200yds (without a scope). I guess I ought to paint the barrel of my varmint rig white with a red muzzle. It's like the little packets they sold in joke shops: "Instant Idiot - Just Add Alcohol" :mrgreen:

bobthenailer
04-17-2006, 08:17 PM
no not the same guy that shoots quarters ! ive been a member to that club for 30 years and ive never seen him on the range i i go at least 1 time a week. i heard this story a few years ago at the same club

357maximum
04-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Just braggin here:

I shot a sparrow at a legitamate 329 yards with an H&R ultra in .223....

::: the rest of the story:::

I was out back shooting rocks in the huge unplowed valley behind my old house one fine spring day for practice and shins and giggles. I was well into a hundred round MTM box of homerolled 50 grain T-N-T hollowpoints and in the zone when I picked out my next target and there atop the rock sit a lone little sparrow. I killed him in half the first shot. You gotta love that,,

Oh by the way I hit a little low and grazed the rock just hard enough to disintegrate that lil hollowpoint.

You really have to love a 329 yard capable shrapnel shooting shotgun.

There is a little truth behind every story

Maybe he meant paces not yards, How tall is he anyway? I'm thinkin about 3 foot something sounds right

I also shot a woodchuck once from the road out to a 1/4 mile fence row. Thats 440 yards by the way. Yep killed him dead

on the fourth shot,

darwin actually killed that one, as he sure was dumb and had no decent smart genes to pass on.

1.Uh whats that dust cloud next to my butt from?
2.There it is again,
3.Huh, that clouds a whole lot closer
4.Ouch, dammit that hurt, uh getting sleepy now, think I'll lay right here and take a nap.

45 2.1
04-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Groundhogs are a BIG target in comparison to prarie dogs which are shot at those ranges. The no scope part could be true also, but the rig would have sights that are more expensive than the rifle probably.

357maximum
04-20-2006, 11:32 PM
The big differrence isn't size it's opportunity. With p-dogs you have a few sighters to get you in the zone at them ranges. With g-hogs you normally only get one crack at em, and you also normally don't get to shoot at more than 5 to 10 a day here in my part of Michigan anyway plus they are never at the same yardage. Now I ain't saying that it cannot be done with regularity with the right equipment and in the hands of someone that does it ALL the time and or shoots his rig enough to know what number of clicks he needs. I am talking about the average Michigan varmint rig wearing a mil dot scope shooting a critter that is just a likely to present a shot at 10 feet as they are 300 yards.

I can ring a 4 inch square plate out my back door at 150 yards everytime with my ol remington 581 22LR,but then I do it ALL the time at that distance and that is what it sits next to the door for. It has that one purpose in life and it does it well.... I love the crack..............ping of it so I do it whenever I can. Now if you were to put a plate at greatly varying yardages the hit percentage would go down a bit...make that a bunch..

500 yards with open sights? Not with me behind the gun. Even if I could make them all sit pretty at 500 yards exactly.. How many here are up to THAT CHALLENGE??

keeper89
04-21-2006, 06:34 AM
Up here in the Adirondacks there are lots of small ponds and lakes and nearly all of them have a shoreline comprised of varying sizes of boulders--from the size of a man to the size of a car and larger---some MUCH larger. I have always enjoyed shooting over the water at unrecorded distances and splashing rocks on the other side--but generally that is a WINTER thing--god knows I wouldn't want o upset some flatlander tree hugger type out for a hike.........anyways, 500 yards is a long shot for anyone at a small target.........or even a large target for some!

cabezaverde
04-21-2006, 08:38 AM
Hey Keeper 89, where is way upstate?

I get up to the Cape Vincent area a lot during the fall. Crowd is a lot different during duck season than during the summer.

keeper89
04-21-2006, 11:18 AM
cabazaverde--"up here in the Adirondacks" for me is about 5o miles south of Plattsburgh and 125 miles north of Albany, about five miles inland from the shores of Lake Champlain.....home of Mario Cuomo's "abject poor" and even though I don't quite qualify for wealthy (not by a long shot!) it will be a cold day in Satan's hometown before I succumb to being labelled as abject by a liberal egghead like Cuomo.......happy shooting, even though Cape Vincent is on the other end of northern NY.......:Fire:

Bret4207
04-22-2006, 07:21 AM
50 miles south of P-burgh would be around E-town or Westport. Grew up in North Creek. Now I live about 40 miles east of Cape Vincent along Black Lake. We gotta get together someday guys.

keeper89
04-22-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm game but I am apt to show up with several irons and a couple of thousand rounds........but i don't guess that would hurt anyone's feelings!!!

nighthunter
04-22-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm not bragging anyone up but I have seen some "older" shooters make some pretty good shots with peep sights. Granted this was years ago when their eyes were better but they did make the shots. They learned to shoot with open sights and were some of the last to convert to optical sights. I'll admit that not too many could shoot a groundhog at 500 yards but there were definately a few that could. Look at some of the scores that are shot at Camp Perry every year at 1000 yards. They are shot with open sights. A 500 yard groundhod is not an impossibe feat. The shooter that can make it is rare.
Nighthunter

KCSO
04-22-2006, 06:16 PM
The best long range shooting I ever did with peeps was with a mint Garand and match ammo. On a bet I went prone and put 5 shots on a 10" rock at a measured 450 yards. I guess that if I had that rifle and a good bench and a windless day and I could verify the sights I might get a groundhog at 500 yards, but I sure wouldn't bet on it. Now I'll bet money that Bob S could do it, he's a pretty constant long range shooter and is in practice.