PDA

View Full Version : Mould selection take 10099

Hubertus
09-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Hi,

I know this has been discussed over and over, but still I can't decide and would like to ask for some help selecting my first mould.

First off, I think reading this forum and discussing with the members here influenced my decision to try casting great deal, thank you :smile:
You have me starting with this...

OK, I have a .45-70 Rolling Block you migh have seen in one or the other post.
So far I am getting by with bought boolits, but I want to make my own, small scale of course. Basically I need some boolits for the range and hunting.

The budget it not so big, so I think I have the supplier narrowed down to LEE.
The 340 grain, I tested already and I kinda like it. Possibly there is a hunting regulation problem with the lighter ones, I will explain later if you like.

So to put out a straight question: what shall I get first?
340 grains
405 grains
500 grains
or get a 325 in 454 (originally for the Casull) and pp it up to diameter?

Thank you very much for your insight and help.

Hubertus

rockrat
09-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Go with the 405. I have had better luck with it, than the lighter one

mooman76
09-19-2009, 09:47 AM
I don't have experience with the rolling block but the Lee 405 mould is very popular.

Le Loup Solitaire
09-19-2009, 02:07 PM
The 405 grain is a good place to start. I use the Lyman 457124 which is a round nose. It actually casts at about 385-390 grains with WW, but with more lead in the melt would probably wind up at 400-405 grains. I keep muzzle velocity around 1250-1300 which gives good accuracy and doesn't batter you around or wear you out too quick. Things get somewhat more pronounced as the MV moves higher. The 500 grainers kick somewhat harder and anything much over 1300 with them can really start to dish out the recoil. LLS

Dale53
09-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I have had excellent results with the Lee 340 gr bullet in my Marlin 1895. I do NOT try to make a .458 Magnum out of my 45/70 and black powder velocities are just fine for me (a full charge black powder load will shoot through a bison at two-three hundred yards, what more do you need?).

At any rate, the Lee 340 allows me to regularly obtain 1.5" groups at 100 yards using an appropriate amount of RL-7.

FWIW
Dale53

hiram
09-19-2009, 07:58 PM
I have a rolling block and so far my first bullet choice is the Lee 500 3r. I have it in both single and double cavity.

MtGun44
09-20-2009, 12:06 AM
My Marlin GG hates the Lee 405, but loves the RCBS 405. No explanation since
I cast, size and load them the same, but the Lee 405 is very inaccurate in my GG.
Many others have had good results, and the diam and alloy are the same as the
good loads with the RCBS design.

Bill

Wayne Smith
09-21-2009, 07:58 AM
You said it yourself - it's your first, not your only. In that context, it really doesn't matter which one you start with. Think of your purpose, fun or hunting? If hunting, hunting what and at what ranges?

I would not recommend starting with a beagled mold. It is simply adding one more unnecessary complication.

Have you slugged your barrel? Do you know what diameter you need? The Lee mold tends to run small, i.e. getting one that will go over .360" is less likely. If you have an original RB you may need a larger boolit. If you are shooting an original you will be shooting Black Powder, nichts var?

Hubertus
09-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Thank you very much.

There has been a good discussion going on.
The most posters recommend the 405, so far. Chances are I will get more than one, but if I can start with one - I just wanted to get a good match for my needs.

My mistake of course was to provide quite little information to start with.
Unfortunately it is not an Original - it is a Rolling Block replica by Pedersoli.
But I am really happy with it - I always wanted a 45-70, but couldn't afford the asking prices of the models I was looking at. Then this surprise came along.
Yes, I slugged the barrel and it looks to be tight. It is a hair under .457.

Yes I intend to use it for hunting, but I want to have some fun at the range as well.
The hunting part will not be much further than 100 meters. Mainly roe deer, but wild boar and red stag might cross my paths too, if I am lucky.

Following the hunting regulations in Germany I need at least 800 ft-lbs at 100m (~. 110 yards) for roe and 1500 ft-lbs at 100m for boar and stag.
I know scores of game have been bagged with the 45-70 and low velocity boolits, but still that are the regulations. At the moment I will use SP but if I am lucky I can get my BP license soon (yes, this is Germany – we need licenses for everything).
Doing the math for roe the 340 should be fine around 1400 to 1600 fps, regulation-wise.
But I think for the boar I need something heavier to be in range, the 405 or even the 500 might fit here. Keep in mind I don’t want to go past 28000 CUP.

Ideas are always welcome.
Thank you again and good shooting.

Hubertus

If you are interested, that is the one I am talking about.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/roller.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/roller_close.jpg

JSnover
09-21-2009, 04:52 PM
I tried the lighter boolits before I got my 405HB mold. The roller really likes it and you can load it to repectable energy levels without beating yourself up. Can't wait to try 500 grainers this wekend!

Hubertus
09-23-2009, 04:13 AM
JSnover,
I am looking forward to your results, too. I do have some bought 3R 500 grainers on the shelf that I want to test. What kind of 500 gr boolit is it you will be testing 3R from Lee?
If so I am very interested in the results and maybe some load information if you don't mind.

Hubertus